Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Louisiana Tuner and Exhaust Shops

Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Louisiana Tuner and Exhaust Shops

I will be back from overseas on the 17th. I live in Fayetteville, NC. I will be taking my leave in Alexandria, LA. I heard Futural and Thunder Racing are the best tuning shops.

How much are they to tune? I will have LT's, high flo cats, no !air, !maf, !tb, and induction pieces.

Also, where can I go to get mandrel bent, true duals for my Camaro. Any recommendations, pics, or prices?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I personally recommend Futral. He did all the work on my car and it runs great. I know plenty people who would vouche for him.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He does exhaust and tuning? How much for the tune and what program?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

I didn't get a full exhaust from him but a custom y-pipe for $80 and the full dyno tune for $450
Old 01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Where is Futural located?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Walker La., just east of Baton Rouge off I-12
Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Definately Futral for the tune!! Allan is the man! He's done all my work, and I'm putting 400 to the ground! True duals- Texas speed has a set up specifically for 4th gens with an x-pipe, but it is wicked loud! I don't know of any others. Why not just run a cat back( I have a GMMG ) with an electric cut-out installed. Loudness and Power at your fingertips!!!

Directions:
Take the only Walker exit off of I-12. Go right if coming from the East, left if coming from the West. Go straight through the first red light. Be sure to be in the left lane. There will be an Auto Zone on the left. Turn left on the street running along Auto Zone. Behind AZ there is a small patch of woods, they will open up into Furals parking lot to your left! That's better than a GPS!!!

Last edited by La.LS1SS; 01-04-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I know everyone on here likes allan with futral but thunder racing does a basic tune for 150 and a full custom dyno tune for 550 just to let you in on the prices!As soon as i get the rest of my exhaust done i am going to go to one or the other but havent decided between the two for which one actually gives better results!!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not gonna bash T/R but I know people who have had problems with their cars after dealing with them and took it to Futral to get it right. If I lived in Spain I would shipped my car to Allan because that is how good he is.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Lmao well since you put it that way i guess i will have to look into futral alot more seriously!and as far as the tune like T/R offers the custom tune for 550 does he do the same tunes and what are his prices?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

allan the man to go to
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is a basic tune? What all do they do?
Old 01-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Allan himself had either a '99 or 2000 NBM M6 SS, all naturally asperated, no power adders that he won the North vs South F-Body shootout in Bowling green, Ky with. I want to say he ran a 9.98 @ like 143 or something like that. I think the fastest now is some guy from Texas with a 9.95 @ 145.

Allan will do an exhaust system, but you may want to call him first. He will recommend Kooks LTs. Best bang for the buck on the Dyno! He said my SLP tuned length LTs are actually holding me back slightly. But it's not worth $1000.00 for a header swap. I'd call him and get everything set up ie. parts, price, etc., then set up the appointment. Show up with the car and the money. It is that simple!

Or you can email him. allan@futralmotorsports.com
Old 01-05-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Would a post in this thread from me be taken as biased?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
What is a basic tune? What all do they do?
I agree, what are the real differences from a basic and a custom
Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation Show your stuff!

Originally Posted by Blake @ FMS
Would a post in this thread from me be taken as biased?
Just tell us what your shop can do?

Tell us what the diff between a basic tune and a custom tune is?

Can you do mandrel exhaust work?

How bout stainless exhaust work?

How about tru dual exhaust on fbodys?

PLMK-Thanks!

PS-Some time back I asked about mandrel exhaust work, only name that kept comming up was some shop called Lights or Likes around north LA....
Old 01-06-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I'm not actually there anymore... I left fo finish off Mechanical Engineering school at LSU and work an Internship at a refinery. I'm still pretty close to the guys over there and try to help out when I can. That's kinda why I haven't changed my name here on tech. I like to help out with customer issues or questions I can answer, anything to help the guys out in my spare time.

To answer a few questions,

Yes Allan does custom exhaust work. He even builds headers etc. Stainless steel tig welded/ whatever the need be. He does not have a mandrel bender, but he stocks mandrel bent J bends and other variations for his custom Y pipes and exhausts. He then tig welds it... I can vouch for the quality of his welds.

Futral motorsports also puts out some of the most impressive engines and custom setups out there. Many custom turbo setups for street, strip or both. Built engines that are very very street friendly...all while putting out great power.

Allan and the gang can knock out anything from bolt ons to an all out race car pushing well into the 1k hp range. He doesn't have a plethora of parts in stock like Thunder, but he can get just about anything you'd like. Futral is more of an install/build shop where I think of Thunder as more of a parts shop. Don't get me wrong, I know some really cool people at Thunder and they are helpfull indeed. Each company has it's own niche.

As far as tunes go. A basic or street tune is usually for the lesser modified vehicles. They included simple adjustments that are proven for generic benefit... kind of like a hypertech programmer... a few adjustments are made but nothing over the top drastic. Nothing major is necessary for a mildly modified/ stock setup. Example, if you have a stock T/A and put an CAI, long tubes (getting rid of emmisions and cats) he can put in a nice tune that will benefit you and turn off all unecessary functions that throw a check engine light. This is a basic/ street tune.

Custom tuning is usually dyno tuning. This is usually more so for the more modified vehicle..some lightly modified vehicles wish to have this type of tune for the absolute most they can get out of their car..but its not really necessary.
Example. the same T/A comes in a year later with a nice sized cam, heads and a fast 90/90 setup. The car is strapped to the dyno and Allan dives deep into the fuel and timing tables making the right adjustments. With heaveir modifications, the computer needs to be re calibrated to run properly.. and Futral Motorsports does a great job.

hope this helps.

Last edited by Theblueone; 01-06-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Allan has tuned both the Formula and the GTO. I would only bring my cars to him. The Formula was pretty screwed up when he got it. He tuned it to his specs and I haven't had a single problem with the tune in over 3 yrs now. The GTO is a different car now since it was tuned. Dyno time with his tune is great, but if your not to the point that you don't care about your numbers he can do a street tune. Either way you can't go wrong.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'm not gonna bash T/R but I know people who have had problems with their cars after dealing with them and took it to Futral to get it right. If I lived in Spain I would shipped my car to Allan because that is how good he is.
You aren't going to but you are doing it...

EVERY tuner out there has had problem cars. Without trying to bash anyone, I have had my share of reworks that I have done to Futral's tunes also. It goes both ways, trust me. I am sure some of these customers would be glad to post here.

Seems like about every 6 month's this same old thread comes up. Call or better yet visit both shops and make up your mind based on what you see versus hearsay.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Geoff does ur shop do mandrel bends?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Louisiana Tuner and Exhaust Shops