Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ls1 with powerdyne

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 with powerdyne

so i just bought an ls1 and it has a powerdyne supercharger, if i understand this correctly its alcohol injected.. my lt1 has a procharger on it which is intercooled. anyone have an input on the powerdyne, im not sure if im going to keep it on there, sell it , or if maybe find a trade. it did decent numbers.. 9psi stock engine 481 rwhp. i mean what would you guys do. keep it on ? idk if i like the thought of refilling the liquid everytime its low and not knowing when its low when im gettting on it.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Well you can look at it this way, powerdyne went out of business. If it works use it. Theres nothing wrong with using water/meth for cooling boost. If theres a way you can route piping to an air to air intercooler maybe you might want to consider that. Or just try and sell it all together.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allthrotle
Well you can look at it this way, powerdyne went out of business.
I did not know this. When did this happen?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sell it before the internal belt breaks. Bob
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

I run one and have had no problems. 9 psi is spinning the blower pretty hard. Consider a 928 motorsports rebuild using ceramic super high speed bearings and kevlar belt. If you continue at 9 psi you should also consider forged pistons and con rods.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I did not know this. When did this happen?
I cant remember for sure exactly it was but, I want to say sometime in the begining of last year. I just know for sure that they went out of business.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Well the Powerdyne America site is still up and running.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
Well the Powerdyne America site is still up and running.
Well tried to contact them, I tried and all I got was some voicemail system saying to leave a message with your name and question and someone would return my call, ya that never happened so I started asking around and was told that they were going under.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think somebody bought them out. You can still get in touch with them I'm told. I put 42K miles on my old 93 Indy Pace Car with the Powerdyne and never had any problems with it. But 9 psi is pushing it with any supercharger on a stock motor.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Their website is still up.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

I thought i heard vortech bought them out?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I would sell it before the internal belt breaks. Bob
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Talking

Originally Posted by tylergarceau
so i just bought an ls1 and it has a powerdyne supercharger, if i understand this correctly its alcohol injected.. my lt1 has a procharger on it which is intercooled. anyone have an input on the powerdyne, im not sure if im going to keep it on there, sell it , or if maybe find a trade. it did decent numbers.. 9psi stock engine 481 rwhp. i mean what would you guys do. keep it on ? idk if i like the thought of refilling the liquid everytime its low and not knowing when its low when im gettting on it.
Tyler, as I understand it from reading many, many, different posts and various websites, the powerdyne is a good supercharger if you understand their limitations and stay within them. First, it was designed as a low boost blower: 4-6#. Second, the idea of using a Kevlar internal belt to drive the impeller is certainly an improvement over the Paxton/McCullough [Yeah, I do go back that far] planetary ball drive, but they are an expendable item and you will be replacing it every so often depending upon the unit you have, how many # it is set up for, and how often you wing your Ls1 to 6,500 rpm or beyond. Third, although most of these units seem to be on 302W Mustangs, I think they might be better suited to 4.8 or 5.3 truck engines.

Your alcohol/H20 injection is a poor man's intercooler. Change the pulley, drop the boost down to 6# and keep the RPM below 6,000 or so and this unit should give you many miles of quiet use.

If you really like the performance of a blown LS1, then you probably should be looking at other options that are designed to pump out 10-15# or more and are intercooled. ATI and Vortech come to mind.

Sale price on e-bay for PowerDynes ranges from $450 to, maybe, $1,000 depending upon both the condition and the completeness of the kit. By comparison, both ATI and Vortech [depending upon the head unit] go for around $2,000 -2500 used on EBay.

Finally, I think that "PowerDyne" has been sold and that the new company is selling PowerDyne's last model [which dumped the belt drive and went with a direct gear drive].

If you decide to sell the PowerDyne, send me a PM.

z
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Talking PowerDyne

Originally Posted by tylergarceau
Tyler, you can also google any of the Mustang sites for PowerDyne and get an eyeful. Check out this supercharger repair site: http://www.superchargerrebuilds.com/?page_id=23 for prices.

Finally, if you are going to sell it: better do it while the internal kevlar belt is still in one piece.

z
Old 03-19-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is plenty of places to rebuild them so why get rid of them. If the belt breaks atleast it dont puke in your motor like a vortech will if a gear breaks or a bearing go's. keep the boost low and dont over rev the blower and you will be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls1 with powerdyne