General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Midas vs. Meineke

Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Midas vs. Meineke

I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea on a comparison between their ratings in overall service, work habit and professionalism based on either personal experience or report. Or is Midas to Meineke as Sears is to JC Penny (i.e. no statistical difference)?

I'm only going to have a high pressure hose replaced on the power steering in my TA, but I want to make sure I take it to the better place if one stands out.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

They can vary from location to location. I'm **** enough to question the mechanics even on my wife's Lincoln. If they give me the wrong answers or a blank look, I walk. But I'm a dick.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to be more worried about the mechanic rather than the company you are taking it to...I've seen dumbasses everywhere, but there are some really competent guys out there too. Replacing the HP line on your power steering pump (provided it is a 98+ F-body) is a pretty simple job, so I wouldn't be too worried about that one.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

around here midas rules. all of the mechanics have worked on cars 20 + years. the manager is awesome and really looks out for the customers. one guy i know does my custom welding and what not.. even did something a little illegal.. but he wanted to do it because he wanted to hear how it sounds lol
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

I'm glad to hear it's a simple job because mine is a '99 TA.

Judging from the mechanic's education is where I would be at a disadvantage because I don't know anything myself. However, the guys at Meineke did provide a quicker diagnosis, isolating the source of the leak without second guessing, whereas I was told that the leak might be coming from the HP hose at Midas. Moreover, I saw many cars being serviced at Meineke and not a single one in the Midas garage. :lol But as mentioned above. This was just one Midas location I visited out of the entire area, so things may be exclusive from the other locations. Up in Jersey, Midas is all around and probably the dominant one.

Thanks a lot, guys.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont really need to know much to replace that line it is pretty easy
Old 01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You need to be more worried about the mechanic rather than the company you are taking it to...I've seen dumbasses everywhere, but there are some really competent guys out there too.
I agree with this. When it comes to the chains it's hit or miss whether they have competent/knowledgeable techs working there, which chain it is doesn't seem to be as much of a factor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Midas vs. Meineke