Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my car sound like a diesel??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my car sound like a diesel??

is this because of the headers... and is it normal??
it's alot wose on a cold start but eventually gets a little better... but never really goes away. can somebody fill me in on this please
Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

are you talking about it sounding like a diesel when in 6th gear?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is probably severe piston slap. Either that or you have a rod knocking. your gasoline car should never sound like a diesel.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Launching!

No, not just in 6th gear... it sounds like that in nuetral and all gears... and the sound is only under throttle, it doesnt make the sound at idle... and its worse at lower rpm's
i'll try to post a sound clip soon
Old 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

piston slap and valvetrain noise....it was probably there before, but the headers amplify it. Either that or you have a leak between the head and header.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i have heard cavaliers sound like that before....
Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

maybe ur shop installed a turbo along with ur headers?? feel like ur making extra power?? haha
Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

your talking about piston slap man. it sounds like a clapping or a slapping right? At first its really loud and you can notice it easily, but once it warms up its almost completely gone? thats GM's piston slap for ya, its not harming in anyway really, just something 90% of us have to live with. It seems like for me, once it warms up, its not that its completley gone, but its just really quiet, but if i revv it up in neutral , as the rpms come back down, i can hear it slightly still. anyone else get that???

Dave
Old 06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FamousWS6
your talking about piston slap man. it sounds like a clapping or a slapping right? At first its really loud and you can notice it easily, but once it warms up its almost completely gone? thats GM's piston slap for ya, its not harming in anyway really, just something 90% of us have to live with. It seems like for me, once it warms up, its not that its completley gone, but its just really quiet, but if i revv it up in neutral , as the rpms come back down, i can hear it slightly still. anyone else get that???

Dave

that about sums my noise up. i bought my bird w/ 21 k on it and it has made the same noise since. like you said its noisy at start up and then kinda goes away. crawling around though i can hear it. when im putzing around the storage place where i keep the car i can year it echo. seems worse after the recent header install. but like already stated 90% of us have it. GO TILL IT BLOWS!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FamousWS6

Dave
i know the clapping or slapping sound you're talking about, and yea i have that too.... yep it is alot worse when the engine is cold and does get better once it warms us... def doesn't completley go away but its not near as bad..... but the noise i'm talking about "the diesel sound" is not a clapping sound at all... it's def more like an exhaust sound, and it never goes away! and it sounds like its coming from the headers.. near the block!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

What are your headgaskets and header gaskets? Stock? Pretty sure you just have a worse case of ps though.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
What are your headgaskets and header gaskets? Stock? Pretty sure you just have a worse case of ps though.
i really don't know if they are stock or not.... i'm going to have a new custom Y pipe put on next week, i guess i'll just have the mechanic take a look at the gaskets and stuff for me..... i mean it may just be the piston slap but like i said the diesel sound i'm talking about sounds like an exhaust problem, i'm pretty sure of it... could be wrong tho!?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it makes you feel better, my car sounds like a tractor at idle after a cold start. LS1's aren't the best sounding engines out there...damn y-pipe's...

Quick Reply: why does my car sound like a diesel??