LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

roller rockers need to adjust

Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default roller rockers need to adjust

On my Z28 the owner's befor me put roller rocker arm's on it. Well my brother in law a mechanic said they sound really loud typewriter like. Told me if i dont get them adjust it could ruin my valve's or my head's. After a few pople's opinions they said the same thing. Anyway's can anyone tell me step by step how to adjust them or however it is to fix the clattering noise, picture's are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can do the "spin the pushrod" method located on www.shbox.com
Old 07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry didn't find it. could you give me a more specific url instead of just the home page. Is this like a half *** way of doing this to, cuzz i wanna make sure everthing is gonna run wright. Since it has roller rocker's you think it will be harder
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#adjust_valves
the engine running method would that work for my car, my car has been oing this since i bought it in febuary. Could this of amaged anything badly It ddoesnt run bad or anything. Any help idea's or opionins aprreciated
Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I always do mine with the engine running regardless of what everyone else says you should do. This seems like the most accurate way to me. Only take off one valve cover and do one side at a time to cut down on the oil mess shouldnt be very bad though. I just back off the nut untill it starts clicking (if not already) then tighten untill the clack stops(you"ll know) and then go an additional 1/8th turn and tighten the polylock.The chiltons manual may say to go more like 1/2 turn or 3/4 but i couldnt ever give it that much with it that cylinder going dead no matter what lifters i used. Hope this helps. If the noise doesnt get better, you either have really loud rockers or bad lifters.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanxs jone's ill consult my brother in law see what he say's what do u mean poly lock you know where i can find picture's one of those
Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

in a hanes manual it tells you how to adjust your rockers... just follow the steps.. TDC then Intake and Exhause on cyclinder 1 and so on... but twist the pushrod while tightning the nut until it snugs, then add an 1/8 turn.. crank the polylock down and on to the next step...
hope i helped
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so on my car with the lt1 motor and roller rockers i can use the method of adjusting them with the car running.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Polylocks are nuts that almost always are used on RRs. They have a set scew in the middle that is tighted once the nut is adjusted where you want it to lock it in place. Make sure your socket isnt touching the actual rocker when adjusting. good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
so on my car with the lt1 motor and roller rockers i can use the method of adjusting them with the car running.
Yes I live in indiana also, what part are you from?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

north vernon you jones i cruise to seymour madison and columbus though
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonez_z
I always do mine with the engine running regardless of what everyone else says you should do. This seems like the most accurate way to me. Only take off one valve cover and do one side at a time to cut down on the oil mess shouldnt be very bad though. I just back off the nut untill it starts clicking (if not already) then tighten untill the clack stops(you"ll know) and then go an additional 1/8th turn and tighten the polylock.

THAT'S how you do it, and the way I've been doing it for the last 40 years....

I don't know what kind of rocker studs or poly locks you have, however ARP recommends that the lock screws THEY provide with THEIR poly-locks nuts should be torqued to 22 ft./lbs. when properly adjusted.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was a ******* bitch to do. I only did the driverside. Started it listened and the noise was gone. took down the road and man she fried the tire's. It was polylock roller's my brother in law helped me and i got it done. Now there's some oil on the manifold's so it smoke's a little now hope the oikl burn's off soon
Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
that was a ******* bitch to do.

Don't do a lot of work on cars, eh??
Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i do but it all varry's i had done it once befor on a cummin's b series but i alway's like to have someone around me to help me do it wright or over see me. But on the b series i had to check the space between the rockers and the valve's with a feeler gauge and of course it wasn't running. I'll admit i'm not the best when it come's to fixing car's, but i like to learn for other time's
Old 07-10-2008, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

hey your in North Vernon..i m just down in Scottsburg.. nice to know someone else close..
Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i hear there's some cool place to go in scottsberg thinking about going soon maybe i'll see yah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roller rockers need to adjust