LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

easiest way to take off balancer without using puller?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest way to take off balancer without using puller?

i went to take off my balancer and hub yesterday and the damn puller got broke and stuck into the hub, its like half way off as of now, wats the easiest way to pull it off without using a harmonic puller? if i heat it up really hot will it be easy to pry off. Im doing this today so help me lol??
Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

What sort of puller were you using to try to pull it off? If you were trying to remove it the wrong way that would explain why the tool broke first.

Your really going to need either the actual GM J tool kit (LT1 Hub Remover/Installer) OR something equivalent (Hub remover installer kit) sold by say Snap-On or another tool distributor. Its a specific type of puller that uses a strong bolt threaded into the crank to "push" and "pull" the crank hub/balancer. Most other tools will break.

I have heard of people making their own kit using stage 8 bolts and stuff from hardware stores to make a puller, but others would have to post about that.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
What sort of puller were you using to try to pull it off? If you were trying to remove it the wrong way that would explain why the tool broke first.

Your really going to need either the actual GM J tool kit (LT1 Hub Remover/Installer) OR something equivalent (Hub remover installer kit) sold by say Snap-On or another tool distributor. Its a specific type of puller that uses a strong bolt threaded into the crank to "push" and "pull" the crank hub/balancer. Most other tools will break.

I have heard of people making their own kit using stage 8 bolts and stuff from hardware stores to make a puller, but others would have to post about that.

That is correct! The LT-1 crank hub DOES NOT have the large diameter center hole that most SBCs have, so you can't slide the center insert in to it. If you try to use a regular puller, all you do is pull against the center of the crank hub, not the crankshaft, and lock the whole mess up.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, I learned that after breaking two pullers. I finnaly got smart and looked inside towards the hub bolt and saw I was just pulling/ pushing the balancer/ pulley against itself. My haynes manual said to put a deep socket on the hub bolt so the puller can push on it. To the OP, is there any way to get the broken piece out? What broke off the threaded rod thed goes into the hub?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

that's why you use a longer grade 8 bolt inside the hub for the puller to push against. typically use a 4" bolt.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

well guys i heated it up witha torch for a good 10 min and basically pryed it right off, only took 10 minutes, rather then when i was struggling for 2 hours yesterday lol
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Just a "heads-up".....In case you weren't planning to replace the oil seal in the front cover, you better do it now, since the "torch job" probably cooked it really well..........
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Untouchable9262
well guys i heated it up witha torch for a good 10 min and basically pryed it right off, only took 10 minutes, rather then when i was struggling for 2 hours yesterday lol
For anyone else reading this thread, I just want to point out that this is the worst way possible to remove the damper hub.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Yea the rubber isolator in the harmonic balancer is prolly toast now too...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIZMO
For anyone else reading this thread, I just want to point out that this is the worst way possible to remove the damper hub.
Bang.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

yea i replaced the seal , it was my only option to get it off really, because like i said i broke the tool off inside and it was stuck, but what do u mean cook the rubber isolater in the balancer??
Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Yea the rubber isolator in the harmonic balancer is prolly toast now too...
Keep in mind, the LT-1's balancer is a 2 piece affair. Therefore, if the "arsonist" took the outer ring off first, there was no rubber to get damaged by the torch, other than the oil seal in the front cover.

Quick Reply: easiest way to take off balancer without using puller?