C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

2000 C5 Corvette Engine swapping

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 C5 Corvette Engine swapping

I own a 2000 C5 corvette.
I supercharged the car, its unbelievably fast and torquey.
But, What if the car stops working.

lets just say, the engine as hit the ****-covered fan and died. Never to run again.

How hard would an LS1 to LS1 swap be?
take the Supercharged LS1 out, put the NA one in and reprogram the computer?
Or how about an LS1 to LS6 swap?

thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

It is not too bad. A weekend wrench turner can do it if you take your time and organize/label things good. There are few write ups that can be used. A LS6 can be swapped in just as easily as a LS1. A LS2 takes a little more work, mainly in various electronic and mechanical adapters, but can also be done pretty easily. If you are interested in doing it, I can give the URLs of the write ups. Plus you can always ask questions here

Keith
Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1290
It is not too bad. A weekend wrench turner can do it if you take your time and organize/label things good. There are few write ups that can be used. A LS6 can be swapped in just as easily as a LS1. A LS2 takes a little more work, mainly in various electronic and mechanical adapters, but can also be done pretty easily. If you are interested in doing it, I can give the URLs of the write ups. Plus you can always ask questions here

Keith
thanks. the write-ups may be useful.
So, the LS6 swap would be about at easy as just swapping in an LS1?
They both have the same firing order, and electronics as each-other?
that would be a little better than going back to an LS1.

thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would you buy another motor only to go back to n/a. Forged 347 bottom ends are cheap, I have seen any for sale for less than 2k brand new.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jbusmc1986
why would you buy another motor only to go back to n/a. Forged 347 bottom ends are cheap, I have seen any for sale for less than 2k brand new.
Reliability.
I really cant say anything else about that. As it is, the supercharger on my car is making my car very unreliable(but oh so much fun).

I would get the LS1 or LS6 put that in my car, and then the car is back to its good old reliable self.

Anyways, LS1290, If you can find those LS1 to LS6 swap documents that would really help.
I think a re-tuned to stock computer would be the major necessary in doing this right? I wont have to go buy a transmission, harnesses and other crap?
Cause, I just need a direct swap... right up to the headers.
And that would be a nice future-winter project.

thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think it is super easy to do the swap but it is harder if u dont have a vehicle rack. to remove i say about 4 to 6 hours.... maybe more.... u may want to have a few beers after u r done...
Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by Corvetteified
Anyways, LS1290, If you can find those LS1 to LS6 swap documents that would really help.
PM sent with them

Keith
Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

The main difference between a LS1 & LS6 are the heads. So both are a direct swap. If your engine "dies" and you want to ditch the supercharger then you could go with either engine. You could rebuilt your engine or find another long block. The swap is not that bad. I just dropped a forged 346 into my car and it took me 2 Saturdays.

Why wait for the engine to die? It sounds like you want to lose the SC, so why not ditch it now. BTW a properly installed SC set-up is very reliable. Maybe not stock reliable, but very close.

You will need to get the computer re-tuned by someone with HPTuners or another software. I suggest you find a good Vette shop in your area and talk with them.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marlowchris
Why wait for the engine to die? It sounds like you want to lose the SC, so why not ditch it now. BTW a properly installed SC set-up is very reliable. Maybe not stock reliable, but very close.
Im just planning. I love the supercharger, to be honest I haven't had a major problem yet, other than a crap-load of computer codes.

PLus, what am i supposed to do in the 9 months of Cold Canadian winter?
a swap like this would give me something to do. And instead of a centrifugal blower, I would go with a Roots blower. So, a supercharged LS6 is my next plan.

I probably wont do this kind of swap for another year or so... gotta log some miles behind this baby, rip a set of tires off, and I got a long list of ricers I gotta race while im still making crazy HP.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Corvetteified
Reliability.
I really cant say anything else about that. As it is, the supercharger on my car is making my car very unreliable(but oh so much fun).

thanks.
Why is it making your car unreliable? A forged bottom end would allow you to turn up the boost and replacing your LS1 with a stock LS1 or LS6 wouldn't provide any more reliability. With the price of a forged setup, you'd be silly not to go with it vs a stock LS1/6.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Ok now that you made up your mind, Sell the blower to me!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by k-mart
Why is it making your car unreliable? A forged bottom end would allow you to turn up the boost and replacing your LS1 with a stock LS1 or LS6 wouldn't provide any more reliability. With the price of a forged setup, you'd be silly not to go with it vs a stock LS1/6.
hmm. Good idea.
A forged bottom end may just be what i need.
hell... sounds like a good plan.
Not to sound stupid or anything, but being a ford guy, where would one buy a forged bottom end?
hell, if they are cheep, I could also use a set of heads.

the LS6 though i just a backup some years from know when i am board as hell.
I like the forged bottem end idea as a weekend project.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your concerned about reliability and and want power too you may want to consider large cubic inches. I did a SC followed by heads/cam/SC. I then went large cubic inches and prefer that to either of the SC setups.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're just having computer codes, you need to have someone reputable either tune the car or disable BS codes. Thats simple and not a problem at all.

An LS1 - LS6 is a direct swap. Basically an LS6 is a revised LS1 kinda like an LS1 version 1.5.. LOL. It will even run decently with a stock LS1 PCM program, although it should be tuned for it.

If you want to S/C a stock motor, an LS1 is better than an LS6 one due to the lower compression ratio. But if you replace the motor, a forged shortblock is too damn cheap. It's not worth it to swap to another stocker
Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Teching In

I want to go to an NA LS6 for track purposes.
you get about an hour around the track and do a few dozen laps.
the cars run insanely hot. With the added supercharger, the temperatures are just crazy.
An LS6 with a bit of head and cam upgrades, and some exhaust should be fine.
so, I just want an NA car. I kinda thought about the supercharger thing again, and i dont want to do it again.

I just need to find a new Alternator, A/C pump (mine is broken), and a computer tune... and i think thats it.

what else should i be looking at and buying? wires, pumps...
Old 08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

I swapped a LS6 in my TA when the LS1 died about 4 months ago. Direct bolt on with same ls1 gear. Just got a dyno tune.

Went from 290-300whp LS1, to 341whp LS6 after a dyno tune.

It’s a DD so I had to go with the most reliably performance improvement. Didn't want to gamble on a rebuild, or an aftermarket crate.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Corvetteified:
you seem to be a recent newb to the Vette world. so, here many people have given awesome info!

you did not mention you wanted to do road racing, thats where an N/A shines. why go to a LS6 even, forget that, you want the power your car makes with a blower, then go to a 402 or a 408. It'll bolt right in (just like a LS6).

you said you wanted to put a roots blower on your LS6 if you swap that in? why the heck would you do that? you already have a centrifugal (PRocharger/PAxton/Vortech?) and those are far better then the roots style.

it is obvious (i hope):
1. that if you want retain your blower you need to buy a forged kit for your stock LS1. pull, it rebuild it, put it back in, retune.

2. Want to go N/A route for autox, you need a big cube motor or a built LS6. Either of these will most likely be high compression and then you CANNOT put the blower on it.

Decide what you want, cuz once you start, its going to get pricey and you won't want to turn back!
Aj
Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
Corvetteified:
you seem to be a recent newb to the Vette world. so, here many people have given awesome info!

you did not mention you wanted to do road racing, thats where an N/A shines. why go to a LS6 even, forget that, you want the power your car makes with a blower, then go to a 402 or a 408. It'll bolt right in (just like a LS6).

you said you wanted to put a roots blower on your LS6 if you swap that in? why the heck would you do that? you already have a centrifugal (PRocharger/PAxton/Vortech?) and those are far better then the roots style.

it is obvious (i hope):
1. that if you want retain your blower you need to buy a forged kit for your stock LS1. pull, it rebuild it, put it back in, retune.

2. Want to go N/A route for autox, you need a big cube motor or a built LS6. Either of these will most likely be high compression and then you CANNOT put the blower on it.

Decide what you want, cuz once you start, its going to get pricey and you won't want to turn back!
Aj

exactly.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BADBURB
Corvetteified:

it is obvious (i hope):

Aj
yea... NA.
Sorry, A random idea popped into my head at the time of the post about a roots-LS6.

Yess. I want to go to an LS6. hell, Jegs has them for (i think) $7000.00 for the whole crate engine.
I dont even have to do the swap... the local Corvette Performance shop will do that for me.
OR, like you said, I could go for a 402 or 408.
What would i need to buy additional of the engine? Im positive the LS6 and LS1 can use the same PS pump, A/C, alternator, starter, clutch, transmission...
Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

At least go to something better. There is almost no advantage in going from LS1 to LS6.

Quick Reply: 2000 C5 Corvette Engine swapping