virgin acrylic lacquer thinner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default virgin acrylic lacquer thinner?

about to install my pistons; they say to use fast dry 100% virgin acrylic lacquer thinner with clean paper towels/lint free cloth to clean the cylinders before installing them.

i went to ace hardware, sears, home depot, and oreillys. none of them had it. anyone know where i can go in the houston/sugar land area to get this stuff?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

Virgin doesn't matter. I prefer brake cleaner and compressed air myself.
Klean strip brand can be found at home depot, lowes, walmart, advance auto, autozone, etc.
Got mine at walmart.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 10-13-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Thx for the response.

I hear ya. Apparently though the virgin is a more potent solvent than regular lacquer thinner or mineral spirits. Says you can use mineral spirits to clean the block but for the cylinder bores, you want a more potent cleaning agent. Since they got specific with using two solvents, one for the block and one for the cylinders, I want peace of mind on EVERYTHING.

Still can't find this stuff anywhere and apparently paint shops are closed on Sundays. I could order it online but weekends are perfect for builds; be great to just go somewhere and get it, come back to the house and drop those pistons in.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Industrial gasket cleaner in a spray can works like a champ. Clean with that, then use brake cleaner to remove any residue.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Ah read this after I already found some. If anyone needs to know, AJ Foyt on Bellaire says they have it.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its fine to clean them with any regular solvent. It doesn't need to be anything specific. You are just trying to clean out dust, dirt, and contaminates.

Then you are going right back and use some sort lubricant (like WD-40) to put the pistons in (you can't put them in dry).

You can use regular lacquer thinner, or brake cleaner, alcohol or just about any solvent to clean a cylinder....