Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice

OK guys, here's a real challenge for you. I plan to build a very low, tube chassis TA and I want to explore the option of making it a mid or rear engine vehicle. I've got my LS1, but I need to know what kind of transmission choices I have.

I prefer a manual trans (I have a T56), but an auto may be ok as long as I can set it up so it has to be manually shifted up and down the gears. For instance with paddle shifters behind the wheel or like a sequential shift lever. You know, forward for down shift, back for upshift. I have no use for true auto shifting.

I'm thinking it's going to have to be a transverse style mount like a fiero. I know there are some GM cars out now that have a front wheel drive LS based V8 setup, but they are all automatics and I know very little about them. Maybe a Northstar Caddy transaxle? I'm only planning 500hp at most, but mounted in the back, traction will be good and it will put a lot of stress on the trans so I don't know which ones will hold up.

I'm going to check out V8 Archie and see what he has.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-13-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check out my thread on building the lowest TA ever.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/993566-lowest-trans-am-world-radical-thinkers-only.html

I can do everything myself except the paint, so I may drive it around unpainted for a while. I don't care.

Oh yeah, I may just go for that front to rear mounting.

As far as a sideways mount, check out the G6 6 speed manual trans. They are pretty cheap and are being put behind LS engines in fieros.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might wanna contact factory five racing, their GTM supercar kit uses a LS based motor with Porsche trans axle (g-50 IIRC) using a custom made adaptor.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by subarubill96
you might wanna contact factory five racing, their GTM supercar kit uses a LS based motor with Porsche trans axle (g-50 IIRC) using a custom made adaptor.
+2. G50 all the way, you'll have to forget about mounting the LS transverse though. And realize a good G50 is gonna cost ya about 5k. But good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

V8 Archie makes an adapter for the new (06+) G6 6 speed manual transaxle. That's what I'm looking at right now. They run $500-$1000 used and $2250 new. They are putting them behind LS1 and LS2 engines in the Fieros. I still need to do a lot more research to see how strong they are as well as gearing and LSD options.

I like the more compact sideways mount as I can leave the wheelbase alone or move it around.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Albins makes a nice strong transaxle http://www.albinsgear.com.au/. they are really made for Porsche's and really big in the off road market as well.

They make a sequential shift trans so you can use your paddle shifters if you set it up properly.

Just be prepared to pay in the excess of 20k for one of these. I have a standard Albins 5 speed in my car. They are one of the best out there.

Good luck with your idea.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

As far as a transmission goes, I'm looking for under $1000. I may go $2000, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a really funny thread. You expect to fabricate a transaxle setup in your trans am.... on a budget??? LOL

Seems like your shooting for the stars with little more than a bottle rocket.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Im currently an engineer to be... some questions arise...

weight balance on the chassis? Your going to be moving about 700 pounds/ 20% of the overall weight of the car pretty much to the extreme end of the car. This leads to my next point.
Where is this motor going to go? Take a good look at your car, your going to have to do a lot of metal fabricating, basically to make your trans am into a vette. I think you should do a CAD drawing of your car and of your motor, and do a little more re-thinking. I support you on your thinking, for if it wasn't peolpe like you where would we be. With a decent budget it can be done. Like I said before, this motor is going to be right behind you to make the weight ratio on the chassis somewhat equal. This car will get plenty of traction but steering is going to be a total different animal.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by yamablaster024
Im currently an engineer to be... some questions arise...

weight balance on the chassis? Your going to be moving about 700 pounds/ 20% of the overall weight of the car pretty much to the extreme end of the car. This leads to my next point.
Where is this motor going to go? Take a good look at your car, your going to have to do a lot of metal fabricating, basically to make your trans am into a vette. I think you should do a CAD drawing of your car and of your motor, and do a little more re-thinking. I support you on your thinking, for if it wasn't peolpe like you where would we be. With a decent budget it can be done. Like I said before, this motor is going to be right behind you to make the weight ratio on the chassis somewhat equal. This car will get plenty of traction but steering is going to be a total different animal.
Since when are vettes mid engine?

This is the car I'd like to build right now (with the engine up front). It's just a pain trying to get the engine up high enough so the car can be nice and low. It also hard to route the exhaust on such a low car. Moving it to the rear would solve both problems.
Name:  IMG_2971x3.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  73.5 KB

If I do a transverse mid engine, I could leave the wheelbase alone and it would still look like the picture above. I'm pretty sure it will fit in there.

Now if I mount the engine front to rear I'd move the rear wheels back and then move the front wheels back as well as shorten the nose. This is a concept design. I'm still trying to figure out what I'd really like to do with the car.

Name:  IMG_2971midengine2.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  67.9 KB

Oh yeah, dailing in suspensions is what I do best. It should be fun to drive.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-13-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The V7 63 vette.

And the Tractorri Mustang. Apperantly no profile pics were taken of this car. Still, their both ugly in my opinion.

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

I was not referring to a vettes engine placement, I was simply referring to the fact that they basically have a piece of sheet metal behind the front seats to shelter the rear mounted trans. Thats pretty much what you would have to do to fit the motor. Unless you have your own shop with all the tools necessary and you yourself are able to not only design but to fabricate some of the one-off parts I can see this project costing tens of thousands. Not trying to shoot down dreams...but trying to introduce reality into your design. You have to realize that this is a uni-body car. You can't just cut and weld body sections in and out of the car without the help of one damn good bodyman.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by yamablaster024
I was not referring to a vettes engine placement, I was simply referring to the fact that they basically have a piece of sheet metal behind the front seats to shelter the rear mounted trans. Thats pretty much what you would have to do to fit the motor. Unless you have your own shop with all the tools necessary and you yourself are able to not only design but to fabricate some of the one-off parts I can see this project costing tens of thousands. Not trying to shoot down dreams...but trying to introduce reality into your design. You have to realize that this is a uni-body car. You can't just cut and weld body sections in and out of the car without the help of one damn good bodyman.
I'm getting rid of the unibody design and building a new frame from scratch. I'm going to start with a vert donor car so the roof will be gone. I'll deal with that later. Everyhing in front of the firewall will be chopped off. Then the entire floor all the way to the back will be plasma'd out. I'll then cut the floor angle and drop the car to the ground. Then I'll position the seats and start building the basic frame layout. I'll probably use a one piece front end from fiberglass. The only parts I'm going to keep of the donor car will be the dash, windshield, rear fenders, rear sheetmetal around the lights and door jambs.

I'm going to transfer the doors, rear bumpercover, tail lights, full interior and engine from my current car. I'll get a wiring harness, spindles and k-member from a junk TA.

I may just see if I can keep my current TA in one piece and source those parts seperately. Doors from the donor car may be good, wiring harness as well. I could pick up a used LS1 for around $2k.

I'm a long ways from that though. I just need to find a good donor car first.

This whole mid engine thing is just something that solves a few packaging problems while introducing some new issues as well, but these new ones are easier to solve.

Last edited by JasonWW; 10-13-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible with the right kind of money. This should be an interesting project. I'll be keeing an eye out for this project Jason, goodluck!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 AM
12 Second Club

Not trying to be dick, but this sounds like a risky idea.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it has a nice look to it! id get rid of the original spoiler and fit a high line one.

as for the gearbox....Prosche G50. tried and tested setup and proven to take a good amount of power!

Cheack out what these guys in the UK are doing (might give you a some idea as to what to do with the chassis to)

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/downloads.html

might also be worth looking at the below car as an option.....save redoing the wheel. and it looks AMAZING!!

http://www.superlitecars.com/coupe_images.html

Chris.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck with the project.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Goodluck.......but I want pictures...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cost will determine if I add the mid engine mod. I'm doing a lot already.

V8Archie is using the G6 6sp man trans with an LS7. I wonder how it will hold up? These trans are only rated for 300 hp&tq.

What kind of strong, yet cheap "Monster Garage" type ideas do you guys have to do a mid-engine install?

What about mounting a regular trans pointing to the rear end and using a strong transfer case to turn the power 180*? Then mount a Ford 8.8 IRS housing next to the oil pan and running a axle through the pan? If seen that somewhere. Maybe on the Syclone/Typhoons?

Last edited by JasonWW; 12-16-2008 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Lets build a mid-engine Trans Am - need advice