Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Could we see direct injected v-8s soon from GM???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Could we see direct injected v-8s soon from GM???

Ok, I was reading over the weekend about the direct injected v-6 going into the base model camaro and it got me wondering about the possibility of seeing that as the next step in GM's v-8 pushrod motors. I guess if they can package it to fit in between the fenders why not?

Could we see 500hp from a 6.2L direct injected v8 from the factory?

Since it helps cool the combustion chambers, and aids in fuel mixture, how much of a gain could be seen?
I'm guessing you could see people getting away with 12.0:1 or higher compression ratios and still run normal octane (92).

So any guesses or speculation on if we'll see this, and what kinds of gains we could see?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they already have the duramax lol.... direct injection seems to be the next logical step in meeting tightening emissions and efficiency standards.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....and it works great with boost!

Chris.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Ok, so diesels are direct injected, so what's stopping them from making the switch over to the ls platforms?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a few things. Compression is 11.75:1, power is well past 450, heads redesigned to accomodate injectors, all the cam-phasing goodies. Engines are undergoing validation now, I believe this will be the engine that goes in the new Z28-hopefully in 2010.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Ok, so diesels are direct injected, so what's stopping them from making the switch over to the ls platforms?
for the time being i think its cost prohibited. they pass emissions for now, and until they stop i wouldnt see the rush for getting this to market.

sweet! direct injected, im assuming this has variable cam timing too, is there room for dual plugs on a direct injected head?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im somewhat suprised that there isnt an aftermarket kit for getting direct injection. It would be an expensive kit but i would think there would be a market for it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

is there any reading on the combustion events and injection timing for DI?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Obviously the heads need to be re-designed to be able to incorporate the plug and injector tip as well as the intake manifold would need to change as well since they incoroporate the injector bosses at this time.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sbertolone
for the time being i think its cost prohibited. they pass emissions for now, and until they stop i wouldnt see the rush for getting this to market.

sweet! direct injected, im assuming this has variable cam timing too, is there room for dual plugs on a direct injected head?
Exactly. Cost. Everyone of the major players are just trying to tread water. They are spending every penny they have on just trying to keep the doors open.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well when i took a year of diesel college, i wondered that alot , why not use direct injection in gas if its so great. Dont know how it would work but there was a cam sensor that sent a pulse to the injectors, so they knew when to fire. I'm guessing it would be very possible since the 6.2L gmc diesel was diesel was based on the 350 block, even though it was not direct port at the time. I could see it happen it'd be fun to try and do it. Because my instructor told me the fuel pressure for the common rail diesel is about 20000 We had to be extra careful to prevent injury. 20000psi was enough to go wright through your fingers. had to use cardboard and go over the area when when we though fuel was leaking.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys people are using direct injection on petrol engines!! BMW are really pushing this as are audi (look at the new Lambo V10!!) and VW.

Chris.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I know that there are other gasoline engines running direct injection. GM has it in their 2.0T motors found in the Sky, Solstice, Saab 9-3 as well as the Caddy CTS and in the v-6 motors found in the Acadia, Enclave and the Traverse.

We know what an advantage it gives in terms of power, fuel efficiency and even emmissions, so my question was what kind of gains could be realized in their top of the food chain v-8 motors. Could we see a 30-40hp gain??? Obviously I'm thinking in just theory, and not worrying about all the logistics involved in changing the heads, intakes, fuel rails etc.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Truth be told, if GM is around long enough to design ANY type of next generation V8, I will be as giddy as a school girl.

It's not looking good boys, buy up all the LSx parts you can now before they cease to exist! (A little exaggerated, but could end up being reality)
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Yeah, it is sad times right now with the future of any american owned auto manufacturer. Who's to say the big 3 don't declare bankruptcy and decide to merge and form US motors..... I would call it American motors, but AMC already existed.

I don't know. I read where all R&D for vehicles past 2010 has been halted. Whatever comes of this, the big 3 need to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to run efficeintly......
Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

easy cut back what they pay people, me and some friends agree'd. We'd all love to work for any auto company, working on brand new rust free cars, We'd all of worked for less then $15 an hour.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
easy cut back what they pay people, me and some friends agree'd. We'd all love to work for any auto company, working on brand new rust free cars, We'd all of worked for less then $15 an hour.
Union contracts forbid that...
Old 11-21-2008, 02:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, when the big 3 file bankruptcy, I'm sure the Union contracts will be re-negotiated. I understand that we all need to make a living, but something's not quite right when a UAW worker can make 20-30k more a year than a non-auw worker.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
HOLY ****!!! Someone tell GM and the government this secret!!! Gah. Why does GM pay all those market analysts and big-wigs all those millions of dollars? They could just hire Kmaroman and his friends to make all the decisions!

Did you hear him? "Me and my friends agree; just pay workers less! Problem solved!"
Old 11-21-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharpe
HOLY ****!!! Someone tell GM and the government this secret!!! Gah. Why does GM pay all those market analysts and big-wigs all those millions of dollars? They could just hire Kmaroman and his friends to make all the decisions!

Did you hear him? "Me and my friends agree; just pay workers less! Problem solved!"
i mean don't get me wrong some people there should be pay $20 to $30 an hour, but i'm sure not all of those jobs need that much cash. I wish i could work at gm some day or in a gm service garage.