Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Static Compression vs. Dynamic Compression Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Static Compression vs. Dynamic Compression Ratio

1.First, how in the hell do you calculate "dynamic compression ratio"?
2.What is the target dynamic compression ratio that I should be "looking" for running 91 octane?
Thanks for your help, fellas...
Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm not too familiar with dynamic compression ratio (DCR), but there is a spreadsheet stickied above that will help you calculate it. As far as what octane to run, the autoignition of any fuel is a function of temperature and pressure. You would have to know what pressure and temperature a certain octane rating can take to know whether a cetain compresion ratio plus boost will be ok.

Last edited by Drivn2Fast; 01-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know on Watercraft i.e. Ski's they rate max cranking PSI for any given octane. This may be a poor mans way of matching your DCR to fuel used, but I am sure there are many other variables such as plugs, operating temp head design and so on which are fixed quantities on most Ski builds....

If engine builders would tell you, ask them what pumping or cranking PSI they see with certain setups (heads, plugs, temps) may get you insight and direction... Then it is a matter of trail and errors with cams/ quench i suppose oh and I would love to see the results of testing>..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/comprAdvHD.htm

i used this to figure it. just use 0 for boost. and you can look up your elevation on google.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

read here if you already haven't
http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

the important thing to remember is that DCR just like SCR does not change with rpm, unless you have variable valve timing then DCR will change. Regardless of that, from the fuel's point of view it does not care what the compression ratios are, it cares what the cylinder pressure is because it's the cylinder pressure which creates the heat which causes the fuel to detonate, and cylinder pressure varies with rpm with max pressure happening at the rpm max torque occurs. So i would not solely focus on DCR.
I've read that cylinder pressures near 200 psi and above will cause 93 octane fuel to detonate, hence the ~180psi cranking compression which is what most street engines are. And other factors will influence the detonation point of the fuel... primarily combustion chamber design and piston to head (quench) clearance- the tighter the quench the better detonation resistance for a given octane allowing for higher cylinder pressures (or compression ratios), and the converse being true where if you lowered compression ratio to 9:1 versus greater than 10:1 but the engine would still knock and detonate because of too large a quench area.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

8.3-8.4 DCR is usually considered max for pump gas....
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
from the fuel's point of view it does not care what the compression ratios are, it cares what the cylinder pressure is because it's the cylinder pressure which creates the heat which causes the fuel to detonate, and cylinder pressure varies with rpm with max pressure happening at the rpm max torque occurs. So i would not solely focus on DCR.
I've read that cylinder pressures near 200 psi and above will cause 93 octane fuel to detonate, hence the ~180psi cranking compression which is what most street engines are.
Does anyone have a link/reference about the cylinder pressure specs/limits vs. fuel octane??
Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too, I would like to know a link/reference about the cylinder pressure specs/limits vs. fuel octane??
Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

oh no not another one of these dcr threads lol
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you I'm running 12.5:1 scr with a dcr of 8.22:1 on 92-93 octane in my GTO and have 0 knock at full timing. Dcr if figured from the effective compression stroke after the intake valve has closed...my intake valve starts to close at 85 degrees abdc, so until then there is no compression.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run all my motors at 8.6 to 8.8 DCR. I am in NC with 100+ degree temps and the usual of over 60% humididty and have 0 issues with 93 pump gas with over 30* timing in some combos. I do back the timing off from that since it doesn't produce more power usally. I just ran a full tank of 87 though my 8.7 DCR truck to get rid of it, after I did the heads and gasket, with no issues what so ever. I just checked my cranking compression today and it was 215 psi on all the cylinders except one that was almost 225 psi (got to figure that out). My stock C5 Z06 cranking compression with a 224/228 114 cam was around 210psi. I added 10lbs of boost to that motor and it ran just fine. Just think about how high stock compression is now and how small the cams are. Once you cam something you are just loosing DCR i.e. torque. SCR makes it back. I love all these "safe" myths that no one puts to the test. All of my motors produce more power than normal on PUMP gas. Start with the DCR and work your way back for best all around power. The only car I ever had detonate, someone put the wrong head gasket in it, and it ended up having 9.2 DCR and 100,000+ miles, I could still run 22*-23* total timing on that combo. Most LS motors make best power from 24*-26* total so that motor was pretty close. I think a lot of these "numbers" came from the Iron headed, carburated days. With all aluminum engines and EFI you can take things up a notch.

Last edited by Pray; 03-01-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mark21742
I can tell you I'm running 12.5:1 scr with a dcr of 8.22:1 on 92-93 octane in my GTO and have 0 knock at full timing. Dcr if figured from the effective compression stroke after the intake valve has closed...my intake valve starts to close at 85 degrees abdc, so until then there is no compression.
That must be one giant cam bro. I would shoot for 13.0:1 if your DCR is only 8.2. Get some of your low end tq back.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/comprAdvHD.htm

i used this to figure it. just use 0 for boost. and you can look up your elevation on google.
I just used this sight and it was over a point off on DCR but the cranking compression was pretty close. Try this sight. Just add 25 to your IVC ABDC at .050 instead the site reccomended 15. I have use it against other sights and 25 gives you the correct results.

http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp
Old 03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pray
That must be one giant cam bro. I would shoot for 13.0:1 if your DCR is only 8.2. Get some of your low end tq back.
It's a 408 stroker with a 255/263 .624/.624 115lsa in my daily driver 04 GTO

Since I set it up for daily driving I didn't want to push it too much, and had worked with my machine shop and the few "peak" safe numbers we could find (8.5ish dcr) and backed off a little from there....the setup was actually very easy to drive on the street and with the 3" dual exhaust at 8,000 rpms it sounded like God was pissed off and coming after you

I've even had the thought of dropping two big turbos on it to kind of build in lag, so its not really building boost til just over 4,000 rpms (engine spinning too fast for detonation to occur) might even be able to hit the magic 1,000hp number then
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

good luck putting that thing to the floor on pump gas lol...........Im static 13.9:1 with a dynamic of 9.3:1 and i cant go any where near 93 octane......
Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
good luck putting that thing to the floor on pump gas lol...........Im static 13.9:1 with a dynamic of 9.3:1 and i cant go any where near 93 octane......
Stay under 8.5:1 drc is the best answer i could find when I was doing my build, so that is why I went with 8.22:1....just to play it safe. I was running a 4,000 stalled and built 4l60e, had the idle rpm set at 900 cold and dropped down to 850 warm with no issues at all driving in and around town (other than blowing 3 a4s lol), so now when it comes back out of the garage it will have a good old 3 speed manual behind it

I would have been tearing it back down to open up the chambers some to drop the compression back down if had found it was too high to run on pump gas lol and i would not have been happy.

But i must say, even with the huge cam it is very peppy even just off idle
Old 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
Like I said in my earlier post the only motor I had detonate with over 23* timing had 9.2 DCR. Your compression is a full point over what I suggested and your DCR is also .5 higher than what I suggested at max. Just posting what I run over and over at sea level. Have you tried 93 in your combo, which is sick by the way. I wonder what kind of timing you could get into it. Do you daily drive it or is it a track only car?
Old 03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mark21742
It's a 408 stroker with a 255/263 .624/.624 115lsa in my daily driver 04 GTO

Since I set it up for daily driving I didn't want to push it too much, and had worked with my machine shop and the few "peak" safe numbers we could find (8.5ish dcr) and backed off a little from there....the setup was actually very easy to drive on the street and with the 3" dual exhaust at 8,000 rpms it sounded like God was pissed off and coming after you

I've even had the thought of dropping two big turbos on it to kind of build in lag, so its not really building boost til just over 4,000 rpms (engine spinning too fast for detonation to occur) might even be able to hit the magic 1,000hp number then
Is it a solid roller to get 8,000 or did you shim the hydraulic rollers? I figured any cam that size in a 408 would be done making power by 7,000 at max.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Like I said in my earlier post the only motor I had detonate with over 23* timing had 9.2 DCR. Your compression is a full point over what I suggested and your DCR is also .5 higher than what I suggested at max. Just posting what I run over and over at sea level. Have you tried 93 in your combo, which is sick by the way. I wonder what kind of timing you could get into it. Do you daily drive it or is it a track only car?
pretty much a track car..........i had it on 93 once cause i couldn't make it home on what i had in the tank and the car didn't even want to accelerate to highway speed without detonating...........the motor was 14.2:1 last year and it will be this year also.....after pulling the heads we found a hair of detonation under transition throttle periods......im going to go from 114 to c16 116 this year im thinking it will pick the car up....and thanks!!!
Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

What I stated above was my experience with LSX cars at sea level. I had a L98 383 that was at 210 cranking psi that I never had a problem with and that was way before I knew what DCR was. I worked very hard in those days for the power I had and was actually on the cutting edge of performance back then. Pushing the limits of what was "streetable". I think I was the first one to run AFR 210's and the TPIS Miniram after dealing with the Super Ram. I have all the respect in the world for you guys that can make those engines haul the mail. I am sure you have a pretty aggressive spark curve in your LTX that wouldn't work with pump no matter what. I was running 87octane in my truck at 8.2 DCR with no issues. Could be in the tune, could be in the fuel here, I don't know. I am sure it also has a lot to do with the runner degree going from 23 to 15, the advances in sequential port fuel injection and a straighter shot at the intake valve for the injector now. Not to mention combustion chamber design. I am willing to bet that the stock LS2/3/7 DCR is higher than I am recommending. Any way, you have a bad *** ride and keep pushing it. You know what they say, "It's good to be the King".

Quick Reply: Static Compression vs. Dynamic Compression Ratio