Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

What is safe dynamic comp. for pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is safe dynamic comp. for pump gas?

I am building an erl ls2 440. I am going to use tsp ls7 265cc heads. Lunati rotating assembly with -2.8 wiesco pistons. Also going to use tsp ls7r cam248/256 .658/.658 114+3. My static comp is 11.9 and I figured my dynamic to be 10.1 but not sure if that is figured right. What is safe to run on pump gas? I am planning to run e85, but also want to be able to have pump gas tune incase I get caught without e85.

Last edited by delphigto; 03-24-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can run 12 to one as long as your tune is spot on
Old 03-25-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

You mean 12 static? I am more worried about dynamic.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid to high 8's for pump gas. Are you going to be doing the tuning? I am an EFI Live dealer, so if you need to purchase it, give me a call.

There would be certain things you could do to make it work.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I use hptuners. A gm engineer budy of mine helps me. Thanks for the help though.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Dynamic Compression Ratio
The calculated compression ratio, as given above, presumes that the cylinder is sealed at the bottom of the stroke (bottom dead centre - BDC), and that the volume compressed is the actual volume.

However: intake valve closure (sealing the cylinder) always takes place after BDC, which may cause some of the intake charge to be compressed backwards out of the cylinder by the rising piston at very low speeds; only the percentage of the stroke after intake valve closure is compressed. Intake port tuning and scavenging may allow a greater mass of charge (at a higher than atmospheric pressure) to be trapped in the cylinder than the static volume would suggest ( This "corrected" compression ratio is commonly called the "dynamic compression ratio".

This ratio is higher with more conservative (i.e., earlier, soon after BDC) intake cam timing, and lower with more radical (i.e., later, long after BDC) intake cam timing, but always lower than the static or "nominal" compression ratio.

The actual position of the piston can be determined by trigonometry, using the stroke length and the connecting rod length (measured between centers). The absolute cylinder pressure is the result of an exponent of the dynamic compression ratio. This exponent is a polytropic value for the ratio of variable heats for air and similar gases at the temperatures present. This compensates for the temperature rise caused by compression, as well as heat lost to the cylinder. Under ideal (adiabatic) conditions, the exponent would be 1.4, but a lower value, generally between 1.2 and 1.3 is used, since the amount of heat lost will vary among engines based on design, size and materials used, but provides useful results for purposes of comparison. For example, if the static compression ratio is 10:1, and the dynamic compression ratio is 7.5:1, a useful value for cylinder pressure would be (7.5)^1.3 × atmospheric pressure, or 13.7 bar. (× 14.7 psi at sea level = 201.8 psi. The pressure shown on a gauge would be the absolute pressure less atmospheric pressure, or 187.1 psi.)

The two corrections for dynamic compression ratio affect cylinder pressure in opposite directions, but not in equal strength. An engine with high static compression ratio and late intake valve closure will have a DCR similar to an engine with lower compression but earlier intake valve closure.

Additionally, the cylinder pressure developed when an engine is running will be higher than that shown in a compression test for several reasons.

The much higher velocity of a piston when an engine is running versus cranking allows less time for pressure to bleed past the piston rings into the crankcase.
a running engine is coating the cylinder walls with much more oil than an engine that is being cranked at low RPM, which helps the seal.
the higher temperature of the cylinder will create higher pressures when running vs. a static test, even a test performed with the engine near operating temperature.
A running engine does not stop taking air & fuel into the cylinder when the piston reaches BDC; The mixture that is rushing into the cylinder during the downstroke develops momentum and continues briefly after the vacuum ceases (in the same respect that rapidly opening a door will create a draft that continues after movement of the door ceases). This is called scavenging. Intake tuning, cylinder head design, valve timing and exhaust tuning determine how effectively an engine scavenges

compliments of wikipedia....so even after all that, theres no real set formula for dynamic compression because of the different variations of components in engines, but 10.5 to 1 is pushing it with 92 octane...hope this helped somewhat
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

I see what the guy is saying in the article but I doubt the differences in CR matters that much to even factor it into your build. even if you get it spot on, it would change by .0xx every time you tried to test it. this whole thing seems like ricer math if you ask me. to the OP you will need to find a happy medium. you can not change your CR with a tune. You need to find a CR you will be happy with and still be able to run both fuels.

Quick Reply: What is safe dynamic comp. for pump gas?