Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

96/97 lt1? and theory, trying to figure out distributor signals and such

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96/97 lt1? and theory, trying to figure out distributor signals and such

the timing cover on a 96/97 lt1 has the crank position sensor in it...

what does the crank position sensor do in the 96/97 lt1 since optispark has the cam signal and crank signal in it? would this be a 4x signal?

the way i'm perceiving this is the 1x cam signal is produced by the optical sensor and drives the injectors.. this would be the 360 slots in the optical wheel.

the crank signal is 4x and it is produced by the 4 slots in the optical wheel?

am i correct?

what i'm thinking is that a vortec distributor houses a hall effect (magnetic) sensor that permits a 1x signal for the sequential injector timing.. same as what one half of the optisparks optical sensor is doing....

couldnt you get the 4x signal from the crank position sensor in the 96/97 front timing cover, only if you were running an obd1 computer...
Old 09-08-2010, 01:46 AM
12 Second Club

The crank sensor in an obd2 lt1 is there soley for cylinder misfire detection.

The hot ticket today for some cheap asses (like myself) is to grab a 411 lsx computer, run the 4x crank, and machine the intake for a vortec dist. And use it for the 1x signal like you said above.

This is the exact setup that a 2001 vortec 350 express van uses. Lsx tuning capabilities, with vortec/lt1 simplicity.

Next month I'll have an lt1 running this setup. There are currently 2 other lt1's in my area with this setup as well. One in a camaro, one in an '85 ford f-250.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you,

then if i had installed a 96 lt1 engine in my 94 camaro , and wanted a inexpensive way to get rid of the optispark. it would take some work, biggest factor would be getting the distributor in while the engine is in the car. that would probably take some cutting of the cowl area or pulling the engine..

i'm planning on building a nice 355 possibly a gen1 roller block or lt1 i have both available to build, so if i were to swap the engine at that point would be a good time to do it..

i would need to machine my intake for a distributor or get a efi intake with a distributor hole and use it, an elbow to use with the intake and stock throttle body..

getting a distributor in there would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.. atleast eliminate the high voltage side of the optispark and move it to the distributor, it would also eliminate the composite oilpump drive assembly of the lt1..

would almost bet you could find a vortec engine and look at the distributor harness and theres probably an adapter thier possibly.. or if you could get lucky enough to find a caprice or buick with a non lt1 engine in it.. to my understanding theres a buick/caprice with the 5.7 non lt1 engine.. they were fleet cars i believe, they might have been 93 models.. they have a shorter than normal distributor housing top..
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and where the heck is catlettsburg? never heard of it

Last edited by brucer; 09-08-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
The crank sensor in an obd2 lt1 is there soley for cylinder misfire detection.

The hot ticket today for some cheap asses (like myself) is to grab a 411 lsx computer, run the 4x crank, and machine the intake for a vortec dist. And use it for the 1x signal like you said above.

This is the exact setup that a 2001 vortec 350 express van uses. Lsx tuning capabilities, with vortec/lt1 simplicity.

Next month I'll have an lt1 running this setup. There are currently 2 other lt1's in my area with this setup as well. One in a camaro, one in an '85 ford f-250.
what happens to the wiring in this scenario. Do you use the express van harness and adapt it to the lt1? I'm curious in this setup as well, would love to ditch the opti permanently. I was looking at the efi 24x setup but for the money this is significantly cheaper if it can be done.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

You build a new harness nearly identical to the van schematic, just different routing
Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to leave you guys hanging on this, but in short:
wire the harness like it would be for a vortec 350 express van, only adding in the car-specific wires that aren't present in the van.

I've had a dew things come up, and haven't gotten my 411ecm/vortec dist/lt1 running yet. Mainly dealing with trying to find An obd2 front cover, and making the accesory brackets work.

Oh, and catlettsburg is right where kentucky, west Virginia, and Ohio meet together. Big marathon oil refinery, big AK steel mill, and a big csx rail yard are right here.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

How is this comming along? I am getting ready to do a 411 on a 96 LT1 in a 97 k1500, I could use the info and specs on the dist mods to the intake manifold. have had a TPI, of rather has a TPI in it now with a 327 under it melted her down when the water pump failed. any advice would be appreciated
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

I recommend just modifying the LT1 harness by taking pins out of the PCM connectors and placing them in the '411 PCM connectors, if that's possible.

Information about the rear distributor for LT1 intake here:
(its a copy of lt1intake.com when it was still up) : http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...ke_conversion/
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...istributor.htm

Express van pcm wiring info:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...inions-18.html

More express van pcm here, post #118:
Edit: Found the 0411 PCM pin outs here, post #118 - http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/di...n-gen-i-3.html

Lots of useful and useless information here, have to look through it:
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...-opinions.html

Lt1 wiring information:
lt1swap.com
shbox.com

Last edited by Firebat; 02-23-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 96/97 lt1? and theory, trying to figure out distributor signals and such