Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Titan oil pumps. What's the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Titan oil pumps. What's the big deal?

Other than having an aluminum housing and being lighter than standard pumps, what's the highlight of a Titan pump? More efficient? Superior design? They sure as hell are expensive!

Can tell from these pics but I've read that they are bigger than standard pumps: http://www.titanspeed.com/content/pu..._prowet01.html

I was trying to find an exploded view of a Titan oil pump to see what makes them work. Wanted to see what their "gerotor design" was all about.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly i wanted to know the same since on almost any forum you go on anything other than a stock replacement mellings , high pressure and high volume pumps are like taboo on here and there you will have your throat cut for using lol
Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lordrazo
honestly i wanted to know the same since on almost any forum you go on anything other than a stock replacement mellings , high pressure and high volume pumps are like taboo on here and there you will have your throat cut for using lol
Tell me about it! I just wanted to use just a 10% higher volume pump and I practically got flogged! LOL But this is another thread in itself.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well...if you're building an LT1...there might be merit to a better pump...most guys on this forum are LSx guys...and when you go higher volume in an LSx, without the right pan...you could actually suck the pan dry...with LTx engines, in the past, I've found with stock bearing clearances, a stock oil pump is more than enough, and the only change I ever found worth the effort, was a higher pressure relief spring...with looser bearing clearances, a higher volume pump was then great...your signature says 1994 Firehawk...so I'm guessing maybe you're probably building an LT1/LT4 of sorts?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got an email back from Bob Sanders from Titan today:

Hi Rob, Our pumps are simply designed for racing, they are all dual feed gerotors style pumps, they are made from premium metals and the metal and maching and metal processes are all made in the USA. We have always strived to make the finest highest quality products possible. Most manufactures use some basically stock configurations and they are great up to maybe 4000 to 4500 rpms where our pumps are designed to be "up on the cam" from 4000 to over 12,000 RPM. Every aspect of our pumps has evolved over the decades with ideas and feed back from racers. Two examples are the "Progressive pulse technology" where we tested many combinations of kidney shape and volume to optimize effeciency, and our "Pressure balanced" relief circut that help keep foreign material from building up and it relieve the startup spikes on the drive. We are now machining own gerotors to increase quality control and inner strength even more. Bob

Quick Reply: Titan oil pumps. What's the big deal?