Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

does brown gas work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does brown gas work?

that is the question i know for a fact that it works cause its simple chemistry the question is does it have enough of an effect or does it simply make up for the energy lost in electrolysis. id like to get people who have done this opinion. theres alot of back and forth arguments on the internet about it and i just dont know who to believe. my neighbors a real smart engineer and alot of websites swear buy it but theres also those who will swear otherwise like cnbc did a news report on it and label the whole thing the scam of a century
Old 02-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Teching In

also i was thinking about making one of these systems and reading it with and o2 sensor and seeing how much i can really lean the car out with the standalone if it can be at all
Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

i also find it very hard to believe the mileage gains that are claimed by one of these setups. First of all electrolysis is not very efficient, the energy spent creating the brown gas (oxygen/hydrogen) exceeds the energy content.

Therefore the extra work your engine uses to turn the alternator will be greater than the gain from burning the brown gas
Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make hydrogen, I've proven that when the bottle exploded.

They do not make any noticable change on my AFM1000 wideband or fuel trims when running on a 2006 explorer setup. The only thing that I did notice was the o2 switching amplitude decreased slightly

Ryan
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 PM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Yes, the gas burns.

Yes, an engine can run off of it just fine.

No, you don't get more energy from burning it than it takes to make it.

In a perfect world, you would get out every bit you put in. But, never more.

Think of it this way: Attach an electric motor to a battery, then an alternator to that motor. Use the alternator to charge the battery. What happens when you turn the motor on? If it were a world without friction or inefficiency, the motor would run forever, so long as nothing else was draining the battery - it would spin forever, but still make no extra workable energy. Even worse, in the real world, the setup would eventually drain the battery, because all things waste some of their energy in the form of heat.

This example is no different than the process of electrolysis. Energy is added to a chemical. Then, you put that chemical in an engine to remove the energy in the form of combustion.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the input on this subject it just seemed like kind of an interesting thing to me. i did hear the the electrolisys process does use quite a draw but it not like your not putting anything in either you are putting a potential fuel in which is water which when broken down makes hydrogen it just too bad theres not a more effective way of breaking it down
Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Some people have achieved it, back in the day i was experimenting with it and went from 14-16 mpg on an 84 2.8l v6 chevy blazer, but had no computers and such to work with. HHOforumsdotcom is a good place to check, only a couple people have done anything worthwhile though, as the computer will check and balance any gains you may achieve, do to a cleaner burn which makes the computer believe it's running lean, therefor adding fuel which even causes some people to lose mpg's. But some people have got it figured out and making gains.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

there are more efficient ways of electrolysis being developed and tested. and a company by the name of square 1 energy. http://www.hydro-maxx.com/. has already started selling kits for doing just that. so why would a company spend millions on a product if there was no truth to it. its just a matter of time before this is bigger than oil. and isnt it just about perfect timing.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

here are some good links to read. this does work but it needs alot of tweeking to get max mpg out of it. a dyno would be the best test for sure.
1.new energy ideas website. http://peswiki.com/index.php/News.
2.breakdown. http://pesn.com/2011/05/25/9501834_W...ency_Evidence/.
3.proof. http://www.eagle-research.com/erpdf/...oofs110316.pdf.
4.fred wells research. http://pesn.com/2011/05/08/9501829_F...Concept_Truck/.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there may be more gains to be had with lean cruising tunes. Here's a nice thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...ing-about.html

Quick Reply: does brown gas work?