Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguello08
very nice. any gains in hp ? what i mean is cam specs and all else equal, what would the diff in HP be ?
Would be interested in that myself.

The SR should offer better valvetrain stability, better valve control. But with a good HR profile, is it a problem ? I guess a lot of the hydraulic guys would probably say not ?

Ive found comparisons, but the SR has always had a more aggressive profile and longer duration etc...so you'd expect it to gain up top and lose out down low.

But can a SR offer win win everywhere ?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Would be interested in that myself.

The SR should offer better valvetrain stability, better valve control. But with a good HR profile, is it a problem ? I guess a lot of the hydraulic guys would probably say not ?

Ive found comparisons, but the SR has always had a more aggressive profile and longer duration etc...so you'd expect it to gain up top and lose out down low.

But can a SR offer win win everywhere ?
I don't know exact increases but the benefits are numerous and include those you listed. Power certainly increased in my application but I also made a couple of other changes at the same time while my engine was tore down so I do not have before and after numbers. Solid cam specs will include what appear to be more aggressive profiles but they do not convert exactly the same due to the required lash settings and lobe design. I removed a hydraulic LG G5x3 cam which specs at 236/242 610/600 112. Kip converted that cam into solid specs at 241/249 629/613 112 and could provide more information concerning specs then I can. It appears on paper to be a pretty rowdy cam but it drives well in my 347 and is no more cantankerous than the G5x3.

To answer your question. Yes. In my opinion the low lash solid roller cam offered a win/win everywhere including increased power, increased rpm capability, peace of mind, a killer idle sound and a great conversation topic when bench racing. ;-)
Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

My needs are slightly different.

With a turbo setup, I actually like the idea of some lash, ensuring 100% the valve gets proper seat time, especially exhaust valve.

I'm not after a big lopey cam. Quite the opposite. I want a smooth idle, I want a cam that will offer good spool...but I want a cam that will peak around 68-7000rpm, and carry me a few hundred rpm beyond that when needed. Mostly only 4th and 5th gear really.
4th at present will struggle to hit 150, so a few hundred more rpm would make a good difference. Changing to 5th on the 1/4 is just pointless

I'm beginning to believe what i want just isnt realistic with a hydraulic.

Plus I wonder how oil pressure affects a hydraulic lifter when pushed hard too.

SR just removes so many variables.

Maybe this winter I'll make the change.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Funny you mention this because Kip is going to be speccing me a new solid grind this winter. I am changing up my build and going boost. I am swapping to the trick flow heads, redoing my fuel system for E85 and adding a billet BW 480 and an auto. I think the solid will produce solid gains with boost. I am pushing for nines with this setup then eights next season
Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Idle vid of your solid roller setup please.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

I have a video and will post it as soon as I have time to find it
Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

The video is a little dark but you can hear the idle just fine. We had just returned after logging and making some adjustments with HP Tuners. This video was taken just shortly after break in and before I had ran the power tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wCN...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-15-2014, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Idle vid of your solid roller setup please.
OK here it is. 3500 miles on the set up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eY...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow. Both of those cars sound crazy good. Very tempting indeed.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 AM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kip do you make any LLS for BBC's??

Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6D9
Kip do you make any LLS for BBC's??

Thanks
We sure do.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!

My current Morel 4603's are very noisy but run great. One of these days may try the swap.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

How much performance value in a LLSR for a daily driver, very limited autox/HPDE vehicle where I don't want to spin it over ~6400RPM? How involved is checking/adjusting lash, and how do you know when it needs to be done?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

It's a tricky decision for sure, and the HR's seem to work great for many too. But you also seem to read a lot of people having problems whether spring, lifter, rocker etc related.

From what I understand, HR's can actually run much more aggressive lobes, simply because there is no clearance ramp involved that is needed with a solid setup.

That said, I've opted for a SR from Kip myself. Just waiting on new pistons before I can put it all together.
I opted to go down that road because I think it offers me the best chance of achieving good reliable higher rpm usage ( ie circa 7500rpm ) vs hydraulic.

My previous engine had oil pressure issues which I know was having an effect on actual valve timing. I know it's a separate issue, but again with a solid roller I can also have peace of mind oil pressure will never effect valve opening or closing as this will be purely mechanical.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimMueller
How much performance value in a LLSR for a daily driver, very limited autox/HPDE vehicle where I don't want to spin it over ~6400RPM? How involved is checking/adjusting lash, and how do you know when it needs to be done?
I would say you would like it much better. After you set the lash. You may need to adjust it after a short brake in. What I mean by that is the new push rods ends will lap themselves into the lifter cups and the rocker cup. After that when the springs where out reset the lash. Maintance should be a non issue with the LL roller.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It's a tricky decision for sure, and the HR's seem to work great for many too. But you also seem to read a lot of people having problems whether spring, lifter, rocker etc related.

From what I understand, HR's can actually run much more aggressive lobes, simply because there is no clearance ramp involved that is needed with a solid setup.

That said, I've opted for a SR from Kip myself. Just waiting on new pistons before I can put it all together.
I opted to go down that road because I think it offers me the best chance of achieving good reliable higher rpm usage ( ie circa 7500rpm ) vs hydraulic.

My previous engine had oil pressure issues which I know was having an effect on actual valve timing. I know it's a separate issue, but again with a solid roller I can also have peace of mind oil pressure will never effect valve opening or closing as this will be purely mechanical.
The reason people have problem with the HYD cams is the Design of the Hyd lifter. They were not intended for the Vilant lobe designs. The aggressive lobes beast the hell out of the lifters that's why there is always someone talking about there lifter noise. Then you here the standard question😩 WHAT pushrod length do you have? We don't have trouble with Hyd lifters cams we make because we run smooth lobes. On a aggressive lobes the weakest lifter one without perfact clearances will get the tapping started.
With the LL Roller you can run a MUCH more aggressive lobe with out any problems. Why because the lifter is solid😄 it can take it. They are quiter than most Hyd cams because they have a smooth opening and closing ramp and the lifter can't bleed down like the Hyd's 👍
Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

I am struggling to see the value in a SR cam in a mild LS engine. I have studied several comparisons online between both setups. On the mild combos solids never seem to gain any torque at all and only make a few horsepower at very high rpms. The examples that did show a sizable gain were ones that took a mild cam out and swapped over to very lumpy cam that was out of the range that the HR was designed to spin to. I attribute most of the gain on a SR combo to be from maintaining valve control. The gains would be even less had they used an LS engine that featured an exemely light valve train with hollow or titanium valves or the very light on the nose factory LS rockers. For a full on race motor it makes a lot more sense as the engine may exceed the valve control limits. A properly set up LS can spin pretty high before that range has been passed though. The LS3 vette in the original post could easily make the same power reliably for a whole lot of miles without spending a couple grand on a SR setup. Now I question the extra wear that will be put on the valve train. Maybe it is quieter but I just don't hear anything in my cammed vette to alarm me. I believe mine sounds like every other engine I have ever heard. To me it's a normal sound. I see many people that are really embracing the change lately but I question the value in the switch for anything other than a full on race car that is spinning to 8000rpms. If I was building a race motor with billet heads that flowed 450 cfm at .800 lift it makes a lot more since to want to run a SR with a lot of lift to exploit that setup. I just don't see the value in it on 99% of the builds on this web sight though.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I picked up both torque and horsepower when I switched to the LLR. While my cam specs did change, not enough to account for the increases in power that I gained across the board. After the cam change, my car was .02-.03 quicker in the 60', 2 tenths quicker in the 1/4 and 2 MPH faster in the 1/4". In a car that is already as quick as mine is, that is a tremendous gain. And, I shift at 6600-6800 RPM on a stock bottom end 6 liter which is certainly not an 8000 RPM purpose built race engine.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Well that's the results I have wanted to see. I wanted to believe there is something to gain but all the articles I have found online show virtually nothing. If your gaining .03 in your 60' in the same DA than there must be something there. Maybe the many articles are manipulated to not show any gains.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

I saw increased power as well but even if there wasn't power increase the other benefits far outweigh the additional rocker costs, in my opinion. Adjustable rockers obviously cost more but if I remember correctly you can buy solid lifters for less then good hydraulic lifters. I am glad to see others realizing the many benefits of running a solid in the LS engine platform. The hydraulic lifter has been a troubling issue for many years especially when considering the aggressive profiles of aftermarket hydraulic cams.

Quick Reply: Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.