Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.

I just had my Solid roller cam installed in my 2010 test Corvette. Shawn and Nick at
Lethal Racing in Lafayette La. Did a great job on the install. This was a cam,
pushrods, solid lifters and Jesel rockers. We kept the stock exhaust manifolds and
stock mufflers so we could here any lifter/valve noises. As you can here from the
videos it sounds like a stock cam. Zero valve noise. The advantage of solid lifter
one set is there no chance of lifters collapsing. Some of the low Lash solid rollers
have shown over the years to not need any adjusting for 20 to 39 thousand miles or
more. One of our employees here has a 351W ford stroked out to 400CI he put in a
one of our Low Lash roller six years ago he has 15000 miles on it and has never
pulled the valve covers. If you are tired of noisy hydraulic lifters you may want to
think about this option. These cam will make more power turn more RPMs than the
hydraulic cams size per equal size. This cam in this engine is a solid but converted
back to a hydraulic specs it is 222/600/230/580/114+4. If you have question about
this set up please ask.
Attached Thumbnails Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.-img_0037.jpg   Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.-img_0043.jpg   Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.-img_0032.jpg   Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.-kip_dyno-1.jpg  

Last edited by Kip Fabre; 06-18-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive. I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think most just dont know enough about them+ they are a little more $

Nothing runs like one for sure they are the cats azz.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

I absolutely love my low lash solid roller from Kip. I have put thousands of miles on my set up in just a few months. Daily driving style, spirited driving, occasionally drag racing and over 1,400 miles on the hotrod power tour. I get compliments on the idle sound EVERYTIME I have the car out. Just tonight I ran to pick up sandwiches for the family and while I was out front with the car idling waiting for the order to be finished many people looked and complimented while one guy stopped and wanted to talk about how awesome it sounded.

I am also surprised that this isn't receiving way more attention.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

How aggressive are the lobes? Spring pressure requirements?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

I am running Brian tooley platinum springs with steel retainers. If I remember correctly they are 130 seat closed and under 400 open. I have experienced no valve float and shift at 7400. I have logged over 7600 rpm in hp tuners with no drop off in power or valve float.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

So what is actually involved with the install ?

Are the lifters still a roller design ? Are they linkbars, or flat tappet ?

Will the rocker gear fit under stock valve covers ?

Are there a huge range of solid roller cam profiles available ?

Do they require special length pushrods, are does length fall within normal HR regions ? ( I know the rockers appear adjustable too, but clearly there must be an approx base PR length needed ? )

What sort of price is the rocker/PR/lifter setup ?

Is there truly an rpm benefit from going solid roller if aiming for around 7500rpm ?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So what is actually involved with the install ?

Are the lifters still a roller design ? Are they linkbars, or flat tappet ?

Will the rocker gear fit under stock valve covers ?

Are there a huge range of solid roller cam profiles available ?

Do they require special length pushrods, are does length fall within normal HR regions ? ( I know the rockers appear adjustable too, but clearly there must be an approx base PR length needed ? )

What sort of price is the rocker/PR/lifter setup ?

Is there truly an rpm benefit from going solid roller if aiming for around 7500rpm ?
We have any profile you can think of for a LLRoller. You would need Solid roller lifters link bar or like in mine drop in with standard lifter trays. Some type of adjustable rockers Jesel or T&D These are a little more expensive but worth the money. Pushrods can very depending on the type of lifter. The link bar takes a longer pushrod. The drop in solid lifters that go in the stock trays take almost stock pushrod length. You will need different valve covers Mast makes some nice ones. Rockers are about 1150. Lifters are 350. valve cover are about 350 I think. If you are looking for 7500 rpms this is the way to go. You can do 7500 with HYD but it will not make as much power as the solid. If you have ant other question give me a call we can go into more detail.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this similar to what Jay Allan did for SBFs?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 PM
9 Second Club

Price does kind of add up.

Taller rocker covers would be difficult in my case, clearance is already very tight with the factory covers.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
9 Second Club

Are there any adjustable rocker setups that would hide under stock covers ? TFS 225cc heads

Or what's the cheapest valve covers about, and most compact ?

Some thinnish valve cover spacers ?

And maybe a bigger question.

Camshaft with a smooth idle, twin turbo, but for peak power to be around 67-7000rpm and ability to carry on to 74-7500 when needed ( probably not that often really )
But power peaking around 6700-7000 will make a huge difference at 1km and mile events as that's right in the 200mph range.

I guess that's maybe easier to achieve with the SR than a HR ?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are there any adjustable rocker setups that would hide under stock covers ? TFS 225cc heads

Or what's the cheapest valve covers about, and most compact ?

Some thinnish valve cover spacers ?

And maybe a bigger question.

Camshaft with a smooth idle, twin turbo, but for peak power to be around 67-7000rpm and ability to carry on to 74-7500 when needed ( probably not that often really )
But power peaking around 6700-7000 will make a huge difference at 1km and mile events as that's right in the 200mph range.

I guess that's maybe easier to achieve with the SR than a HR ?
The valve covers are not that much taller I can not see how they would be a problem but I really don't know you clearances. On turbo and blown engines we have seen with HYD lifters give up when the boost and rpm get high they just can take the extra load. The solids will not have that problem. If it is a Max effort you must have a solid lifter.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 PM
9 Second Club

I only have about 3/16" clearance between no 8 coil and my brake booster..

I can make new brackets, move coils etc etc...but I dont want to. Worst case I might just have to move that coil, but the OEM brackets are simple, neat..and free.

Typically, how tall are the valve cover spacers ?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can make new brackets, move coils etc etc...but I dont want to. Worst case I might just have to move that coil, but the OEM brackets are simple, neat..and free.

I am not sure about the spacers but the covers are maybe 2 inches.
I saw Vengeance Racing has some nice looking coil mounts. They get the coils completely out of the way. I may get some it really make engine clean looking.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 PM
9 Second Club

I see someone selling a set of Yella Terra adjustable rockers in the classifieds, YT-6640

But these require drilling/tapping of the head to 7/16" ?

Is this typical of a SR rocker setup ? Or do the ones you recommend or sell bolt up to the standard M8 holes ?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

The spacers I had are 1/2 inch tall. Stock covers should clear the Jesels with spacers.

The Yella Terra rockers require quite a bit more clearance since the rocker body itself is so much larger and thicker surrounding the adjuster. The Yella Terra adjustable rockers we tried mount directly to the stock rocker boss with stock threads, I believe they are 8mm.

Just for further information, I did not have to shim my rockers to obtain a perfect wipe pattern with either brand of rocker and considered YT rockers decent quality. The Jesels engineering is top notch and the hold down system is far superior. The YT should work if you can find a cover to seal against the rocker rail and not rub. Just remember, you definitely get what you pay for.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

I think the Jesel's would make more sense. Ive no interest in drilling and tapping the heads for larger bolts anyway.

it'll be a winter upgrade anyway so no rush on it.

For pushrods, do they fall within similar lengths as used on HR's, or vastly different ?

Ive got quite a few sets of various of pushrods here from using different cams over the years
Old 08-13-2014, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

It all depends on your lifter selection. If you use trays they will be close, of you use link bars you will need quite a bit longer pushrods.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:03 AM
9 Second Club

Was looking at some, there do seem to be quite a few variations. Some link bars, some cut down etc.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Teching In

very nice. any gains in hp ? what i mean is cam specs and all else equal, what would the diff in HP be ?

Last edited by Carguello08; 09-05-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: explain question

Quick Reply: Low Lash Solid Roller?Yes for the street.