Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS1 PCM to V6 and 24x reluctor vs 18x.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default LS1 PCM to V6 and 24x reluctor vs 18x.

Okay, I'm working on converting an LS1 pcm off a '00-'02 Camaro to run a V6.

The same PCM setup was used on the 4.3 V6's in the trucks/suvs for a short run, so I know it will work on a 6 cylinder with some modification.

My challenge that I face is the 3.8 uses an ignition coil module and I'd like to convert to a coil near plug design utilizing the truck coils and the 4.3 V6 used a distributor setup.

The LS1 is a 24x setup while the 3800 V6 is an 18x crank setup with a 1x cam sensor design. I'm just not sure where it commands TDC or how it knows which point it is at cylinder 1.

Would anybody be able to help me understand the reluctor ring's notches on the LS1?

vs.

This is one of the last major hurdles I face in repinning a harness to run off an LS1 pcm. The reasoning behind this is the 3800 pcm is pretty closed off and HPTuners no longer has pushed for any further development on it. For max effort cars or those that are running serious FI setups, we have to fudge the numbers or fool the pcm into thinking it is within the right ranges.

An LS1 pcm would open up that ballgame in a more budget friendly manner than going with an AEM, Bigstuff or Holley Dominator EFI.

It's been done in Australia, but those guys are pretty closed lipped about it as it is proprietary secrets.

I also have almost all the pins figured out as seen in the pdf, barring a few that are centered around the crank sensor and not knowing which ones would best be used.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS1pcm swap.pdf (449.2 KB, 237 views)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Why not do a cheap Microsquirt or Megasquirt type of install and just use the existing trigger ?

It'd be less hassle.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Find a cheap GEN III shortblock and roll it over to TDC. Look at the reluctor position. Mount a GEN III 24x reluctor externally like a crank trigger or machine a custom reluctor matching the GM part to fit behind the balancer

FWIW, 4.3's used a 4x crank and 1x cam input. If it truly is the same PCM, then there must be a value box to identify the input signal

Quick Reply: LS1 PCM to V6 and 24x reluctor vs 18x.