Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

windage tray / stroker.. good or bad whats the deal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default windage tray / stroker.. good or bad whats the deal

Hi, i have a 408 4in stroke with manley h-beam rods and arp2000's. I am also using an slp oil pan . With the tray spaced to gain minimal clearance for the rods it then becomes extremly close to the pan. My queation here is that is it really helping in a stroker combo? With giant counter weights now spinning right next to the tray would it cause more windadge?... at what point does it become silly with the clearance between the pan and tray?.. if the thing sets on the pan id assume its basicly usless at this point... also it covers the whole back, how can this not hurt oil return? Is there anyone who actually knows these answers or has actually done tests? Everybody just says" dent it where the rod bolts are" or "use a bunch of washers".. ive herd some engine builders say in this case its better to go without one.. but everyone on here apears to say its needed, any help appriciated.. thank you, adam.. here is my pan, about 2 in deep most the way
Old 05-26-2015, 04:49 AM
On The Tree

Best pic i could really find. Look at the stock counter weights and rid bolts, now picture how much room there must be between them and the tray.. i may be wrong but i feel like it is quite a bit, so it helps cut down windage with its fancy slots... now picture a hudge counter weight, rod bolts almost touching spinning at 7,000rpm. Right next to the tray. Idk why but i feel like it would cause more windage. Please correct me or help with expirience
Old 05-26-2015, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

That pics not even stock is it.. well u get the point

Last edited by N/A86; 05-26-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think removing it completely is a bad idea. On mine I used washers to space it away from the crank and rods. But I have a stock F-body pan.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

That seems to be the going reply, what about spacing from pan to tray, and cutting the back part off above the pic up.. any other input on this?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never cut the back off the windage tray before. From what I remember about my stock pan, at its thinnest part at the front its as deep as yours but it quickly tapers down in to the sump area. Your new pan looks shallow for the whole front half. There was plenty of clearance in my stock pan for the windage tray. Your new pan as pictured above is definitely not as deep. Hopefully someone who has used this pan can chime in.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Thank you and yea, mine stays flat all the way till it drops not much info on these pans either ... its a 7.5 quart from symbol luxury performance

Quick Reply: windage tray / stroker.. good or bad whats the deal