Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Detonation

Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detonation

I have stock 2001 ta ,I'm getting detonation at higher rpms, I'm using premium gas, the car has on 71,000 miles. Should I try a fuel cleaner or combustion type of cleaner.temps are normal
Old 07-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the detonation start only AFTER the engine gets hot....or up to operating temp..?

Or does it happen when its cold also...?
You should take it for a drive when its cold...let it warm up for at least 10 minutes of driving.....then do a smooth WOT run. See if it DOES NOT detonate.
Then:
Wait till its all the way up to operating temp and then do a WOT run and see if it DOES detonate...?

If it does it only AFTER its hot....then your pistons are all gummed up with burnt oil thats stuck onto the piston. After the engine gets HOT that oil starts producing little hot spots that pre-ignite the fuel as the piston is still coming upward, before reaching TDC, thats the detonation.

Detonation kills the rod bearings by crushing them and then you have engine failure from a snapped rod. The rod is moving upward when the fuel/air detonates before the spark plug fires and causes the explosion...which tries to push the piston back down when its still coming up....so the rod bearings take a beating.

I had this exact issue. I pulled the heads, cleaned the VERY nasty pistons and the problem was 100% gone.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-28-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can try a top end cleaning.....foam type only, but if this is your problem you really need to remove the heads and clean them properly.

Or...remove all 8 spark plugs and fill each cylinder with SeaFoam liquid and let each cylinder soak overnight to try to eat the oil away.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccsanders01
I have stock 2001 ta ,I'm getting detonation at higher rpms, I'm using premium gas, the car has on 71,000 miles. Should I try a fuel cleaner or combustion type of cleaner.temps are normal
Did you ever get the P0326 code or hear pinging?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detonation