Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS1 Crankcase pressure questions/

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LS1 Crankcase pressure questions/

Hi

I have a 383 stroker LS1 engine and I believe I'm having some excessive crankcase pressure. Here's what happened:

Last weekend I participated in an open track day event and within 1.5 laps my engine sprayed oil out all over. It came from the passenger side and I've since concluded it came out the dipstick tube past the o-ring by the block.

My engine basic specs are as follows:

383 stroker (built by Superior Automotive)
N/A
ported 243 heads/ matched cam
553 hp @ flywheel on pump gas
2100 miles on engine

I do have high oil pressure. They used the Melling oil pump #10296 with the higher pressure spring inside. oil pressure got up to 80 with valvoline VR1 20w 50 (oil suggested to be used by engine builder). Today I changed to a thinner oil and pressure got even higher with moderate acceleration.

I also have a RX catch can, however, I don't believe it was hooked up properly. I've since made it a fully closed system today (following the layout in another thread on this board), as well as replaced the o-ring on the dipstick tube.

My question is this- is there an electric pump kit I can buy to use as a vacuum pump to help relieve crankcase pressure for this? I'd like to have one to be able to turn on for use @ track events, and turn off for daily driving (prevent excessive wear). As an example: would an electric pump like this do the trick?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-evp01

I'm not sure if a pump for brake boosters would be strong enough for an engine crankcase? Are there other options that don't cost 1k? again I'd like to use an electric one to be able to turn on/ off and not add to the drive belt.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

A rx style catch can makes your pcv system worse because it's a flow restriction. Weld some -8 or -10 fittings to both valve covers and vent them to a properly sized catch can and you wont have any more problems.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK will do, thank you!

Quick Reply: LS1 Crankcase pressure questions/