Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Camshaft Discussion Part III

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do we see soo much exhaust duration on LS1 cams? Usually longer exhaust durations are used to compensate for poor exhaust flow on cylinder heads, which might make sense for stock heads, but not ported heads.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

This thread should be made a "sticky"

I personally love this quote "You can run a 216/216 @ .050" cam with a 106 lsa and it will shake like Katherine Hepburn in a paint shaker."

I agree that bigger isn't better and duration is more important than lift.

lots to learn here. I feel like I'm back in Engineering class.

jrod do you mind if I pm you to see what your opinion of the ideal blower cam would be for my setup?

again, great thread!
Old 04-17-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just put the TSP 228R in my car, and it seems just from driving it that my dynamic compression has gone down a little in the midrange. I know this is because it has 5 degrees of overlap at .050". What would be the best compression to run with this cam? Right now its on stock heads at 10.1 - 1. Its set up at 111.5 + 1. Which is like this:

IVO 3.5 BTDC
EVC 1.5 ATDC
IVC 44.5 ABDC
EVO 46.5 BBDC

With those valve events where do you experts think this cam will peak? It feels like it needs higher compression somewhat. I know tuning will probably make a night and day difference. I was just wondering what else I can do to get my car best setup for this cam. thanks for the advice
Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 AM
On The Tree

Why do LS1 cam makers seem to love the fast ramp rates?. I know it helps idle but I like to springs on the car more than tune the idle more. Is there a slow rate cam for ls1 with long duration? Seems like heads like the ls1 that flow well over a wide range would like this.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ttt lol
Old 10-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Launching!

my brain hurts, but i think i have a good understanding of how cams work. going back to matching the cam to a set of ported heads to make the most power, how do you go about doing that? could somebody start an example - making up an imaginary set of ported heads w/ flow numbers and we could calculate a great cam to match. it would help me understand and im sure it would help many others too.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, I'm glad I decided to check out this thread. After reading through all 3 of these threads I now feel much more knowledgeable about cams. Thanks guys; these threads definitely served their purpose.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

J-rod has done a fine job on these threads. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't looking at used Berco's in a year or so.

Chris
Old 10-28-2004, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Interesting reading as always.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Why do we see soo much exhaust duration on LS1 cams? Usually longer exhaust durations are used to compensate for poor exhaust flow on cylinder heads, which might make sense for stock heads, but not ported heads.
i would like to know this as well.since the heads are "intake restricted" and have a good exhaust port,why the extra dur. on the exh.?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:14 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 66deuce
i would like to know this as well.since the heads are "intake restricted" and have a good exhaust port,why the extra dur. on the exh.?
Well IMO some of the old school thought still works when it comes to more exhaust than intake. Just in the case of nitrous.. We have seen many reverse split cams not perform as well as traditional split cams on the ls1. I have tried many cams as well and the reverse split cams did help in the hp dept, but never gave as much tq as the traditional split cams in my test. If you want to rev to the moon then you can reverse my cam and spin higher, but I think the tq would be lower and the hp would be a tad higher. I currently run a 250/257 lsa 112. If you were to reverse it to a 257/250 lsa 112 I think my hp #'s would be slightly higher, but my tq would be lower.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:25 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE
Well IMO some of the old school thought still works when it comes to more exhaust than intake. Just in the case of nitrous.. We have seen many reverse split cams not perform as well as traditional split cams on the ls1. I have tried many cams as well and the reverse split cams did help in the hp dept, but never gave as much tq as the traditional split cams in my test. If you want to rev to the moon then you can reverse my cam and spin higher, but I think the tq would be lower and the hp would be a tad higher. I currently run a 250/257 lsa 112. If you were to reverse it to a 257/250 lsa 112 I think my hp #'s would be slightly higher, but my tq would be lower.

Nitrous is a different animal than just strictly N/A. Look at what you've done. You've taken a port (the intake) and increased the ammount of oxygen it sees from ~18% to 33% of total volume. That means a bunch more air and fuel. Once you've done that via an artificial means, then you have to look at how to get rid of that extra exhaust.

Now you end up needing more exhaust lobe.

I saw a dyno sheet of a SBC. It made X Hp optimized for N/A. Then sprayed the car and it made Y HP. They tehn swapped to a nitrous specific grind that had a bunch more exhaust lobe to it. This time in a N/A state it made 5-10 less HP. ON dope it made 50 more HP than the N/A grind.

It all about optimizing your combo...
Old 12-25-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

True, I agree, J-Rod, and this is from personal experience.
I run a "small" XE-R reverse split now and compared to the stock cam (traditional) the power gain under nitrous was a bit higher with more exhaust on it. But I found that to be affected over ~125 rwhp shots.
Anything lower and it was meaningless.
You can also offset this situation with bigger exhaust runners, but that also has parameters and limits.

Also one point that we tend to ignore in any cam's performance is "Fuel" used, spark delivery & intensity and plug heat range..
Old 12-25-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by VINCE
Vince are you able to run your set up with a maf sensor? Sounds like you would need speed density tuning.What intake manifold works well with your set up?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

What is taken into consideration for a nitrous setup on when to add more exhaust lobe?

r.o.t. of +150 shot, but how much more lobe do you want and where?
Old 12-25-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Has anyone tried the new comp lobes, they look super agressive. I am trying the new 239 on the intake side of my new cams. This lobe has 164 degrees of duration at .200" of lift if I remember correctly and .649" lift. The 242 XE-r lobe is only 163 I believe. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dracus
Wow, I'm glad I decided to check out this thread. After reading through all 3 of these threads I now feel much more knowledgeable about cams. Thanks guys; these threads definitely served their purpose.
i read all the cam discussion threads the other night,i think i learned more in a few hours than i have in the past 5 years.i feel very lucky to have access to the knowledge and advice of some VERY smart people on this board.thanks indeed.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_knight
DenzSS, your posts support a position that most people "over-cam" on this board. It seems like you mean not just the question of "will this cam idle/work," but more along the lines of "is the powerband of this cam useful at all?" Do I get your jist correctly?

So, I guess the natural question is:

What cam specs or cam would you recommend for someone who wanted to make maximum power from 2000RPM to the stock rev limiter, without any particular concern for idle quality or gas mileage or spring life or pretty much anything else? (I assume you would have two differant answers for stock heads and aftermarket heads) This is without Nitrous or any power adders, and for stock cubes.

I'm talking about the cam that would get such a car down the 1/4 as quickly as possible, whether that's with a good peak # or with power "under the curve."

~230-240 duration, high lift, is what I assume you mean when you say "over-cammed." If not, please do specify what you mean.

Basically, I'm asking that if you are going to trash the cams on this board, then please offer what your idea is of what people SHOULD be running.
I'm revisiting .... But I never saw an answer to this question.Very good thread!!! Got a LITTLE LOSS in the v.e. area(slightly above average joe) and
I deliberately read and absorbed this and other threads(cam discussions) to avoid the proverbial" over cammmed" issue and to get it right the first time.
Sooo still looking for an answer. Btw for my combo(which is somewhat typical) would the c.c.224 be a good cam considering where I am at now?I liked the t.r.224 but from my new found knowledge there aggressive lobes might not be necessary.Let's bring this back alive....it's the off season for most of us.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am not sure but I don't think TR 224 lobes are more agressive than XE-R.
What is TR's ramp rate variation at lifts?
XE-R are 49 or lower and XE 53.

I believe TR lobes fall somewhere in between.
anyone has TR 224 duration at .006?
Old 12-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1derfull
Vince are you able to run your set up with a maf sensor? Sounds like you would need speed density tuning.What intake manifold works well with your set up?
I am able to run my first dry stage thru the MAF w/out issues. My setup was setup for nitrous down to the cam. I just need to increase my MAF frequency if I want to spray more than a 200 dry shot or break up the dry shots into two smaller stages to avoid maxing the MAF out b4 the second stage hits. I have already seen 700rwhp on the first stage w/out maxing the maf out. B4 I go any further I just need to fix my pulley slipping issue. It is always the little things that slow down progress. Whatever I do my final stage of nitrous will be wet to control my a/f. As of now with my cutout closed my a/f is high 11's, low 12's at 700rwhp, but with my cutout open I see 13 which I do not like. I have a boost a pump which I will use to increase the fuel pressure to bring my a/f back into the 11's with the cutout open. I hope that answers your question. My cam is a 250/257 lsa 112. My rings are gapped for the spray and I have heavier diamond pistons. FMS wanted to go more aggressive on the tuning to see what we could get NA, but I am totally happy with my current #'s.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Discussion Part III