Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Size Variance in Exhaust Ports?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Size Variance in Exhaust Ports?

Talking about 23° Gen I/II heads, but I know there are a lot of good head porters on this site.

Is there any (good) reason for having the inner two exhaust ports on each head slightly narrower than the outer two? No variance in height, just in width, and the 4 "inside" ports are almost exactly the same size, and the 4 "outside" ports are almost exactly the same size.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
Talking about 23° Gen I/II heads, but I know there are a lot of good head porters on this site.

Is there any (good) reason for having the inner two exhaust ports on each head slightly narrower than the outer two? No variance in height, just in width, and the 4 "inside" ports are almost exactly the same size, and the 4 "outside" ports are almost exactly the same size.

Any thoughts?
This is a "packaging" compromise, no real gain just has to fit between 2 middle bolt holes in head.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

That's kinda what I thought, but why not just make the outer ports the narrower size as well? I'd think that the consistancy between the ports would be essential in a good tune.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
That's kinda what I thought, but why not just make the outer ports the narrower size as well? I'd think that the consistancy between the ports would be essential in a good tune.
Thats a good question, i think center ports run hotter, and under running conditions would flow close to the cooler, larger end ports because of velocity associated with higher temps. Makes sense to me, not sure this was the origonal intent but it seems it would equalize flow somewhat.