Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Soldier in Iraq needs help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldier in Iraq needs help

Hey I am currently deployed to Iraq and I am looking at an 01' camaro from a user on here his name is zmonsterjb and the installed a built lq9 shortblock with what seems to be an ls6 top end,

I am a blackhawk machanic so I dont know to much about cars that why I am posting this thread after doing a lot of research i was very interested in the car but as of late I seen something that bothers me on the valve cover he has wrapped the breather with a red shop towel he said it was to stop the mist from the crank case pressure? Well im just not sure if this is normal i am looking for a daily driver type of car like a toy and I am just not sure how reliable the car whould be?

Can anyone out there help me out and give a little input on what i can do thanks a lot
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is normal for oil or water vapour to come out of the valve covers if there is an opening because the engine is hot.

This is no indication of how the motor is doing and I don't know either so...
Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just so everything in the engine compartment doesnt become covered with a light film of oil. all the oil is just drifting through the air as it steams through that breather. the rag is just acting as a pre filter so **** dont get so dirty under the hood