Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Fantastic Magazine (A MUST read with lots of Advanced tech content)

Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Fantastic Magazine (A MUST read with lots of Advanced tech content)

On the stands right now is ENGINE MASTERS RACING. Its from the editors of Circle Track magazine. Its an annual magazine but, it has some really good articles on many of the topics we're discussing in this forum.

Block Prep
Engine Power - This article on pg 22 is fantasic.
Oil system tech (by Smokey Yunick)
Valve Training - Good article on valve events and valve timing.
Engine Power Keys
Honing
Combustion
Airflow

I highly recommend geting this issue....
Old 01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this a recent version, I picked one up a couple of weeks ago but the articles sound different.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Is this a recent version, I picked one up a couple of weeks ago but the articles sound different.
Its a once a year issue. On the cover is a GENI SBC with some long tube headers with a dry sump setup. I found it at WalMart, and the top of the cover is yellow and says

"The Rod Rules! Small Part, Big Impact"
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is a great issue, picked up last week or so. Also hits on long vs. short rods and the difference in dwell time inpacting on the way the motor behaves. Good good stuff for sure.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim McFarland is the editor and chief contributor. Much/most of the stuff has been previously published, but this gets it all under one cover. There are a few numerical typos, but most folks will find them.

Most of the articles are written at a couple of levels: good basic information and some advanced stuff that might get you thinking. If you get a few "Ah-ha! moments" from some of the articles your money was well spent.

The key thing to finding the right issue is the "RACING" after the "Engine Masters" title.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The one I bought had an article about using the Comp beehive springs on a big block.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah this one has a dry sumped SB2.2 headed SBC on the cover.

The block article is GREAT for people who aren't familiar with what it takes to make a block right for a real performance application. I recomend this to customers so they have an idea of what I am doing.

There are some good articles in there but some typos that can confuse some people. McFarland likes to contradict himself sometimes though... he talks about anti-reversion in one sense then in another wants really good reverse flow numbers thru a port. Also whoever edits the articles doesn't realize what a double negative is! Drives me nuts. Overall the mag is a good read and the articles do make you think.

Bret
Old 01-09-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce

The block article is GREAT for people who aren't familiar with what it takes to make a block right for a real performance application. I recomend this to customers so they have an idea of what I am doing.

There are some good articles in there but some typos that can confuse some people. McFarland likes to contradict himself sometimes though... he talks about anti-reversion in one sense then in another wants really good reverse flow numbers thru a port. Also whoever edits the articles doesn't realize what a double negative is! Drives me nuts. Overall the mag is a good read and the articles do make you think.

Bret
so you wanna send me a copy? lol
Old 01-09-2006, 07:38 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I bought the magazine last week and I agree that it is excellent!

Steve
Old 01-10-2006, 12:16 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce

Bret

Give ol' Jim a break. He's getting OLD. Very nice man. Very bright, but he gets a little "out there" sometimes. Well,... a lot of times.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

Ed,

McFarland is great don't get me wrong.

Actually a lot of the articles are found in that database

http://circletrack.com/techarticles/general/index.html

J-Rod DON'T OPEN THAT IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO! I'm warning you, you'll be lost on that for days.

Bret
Old 01-10-2006, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

I ran down to my local Wally World today and they have the magazine but not the issue J-R mentions.

Am I on the right TRACK here?

http://www.circletrack.com/tipstricks/
Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw this today at the supermarket. I had to pick it up, talk about a bad *** magazine!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
I bought the magazine last week and I agree that it is excellent!

Steve

Good stuff! Thats the kind of stuff we need to keep in this section!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

A lot of good stuff, and yet... When I finish a David Vizard article, I feel like I can run out into the shop and start cutting a new valve seat or welding up an exhaust or something. When I finish a McFarland one, I'm often left with this vague sense that I've almost, but not quite, grasped the essence of some valuable insight.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadBill
A lot of good stuff, and yet... When I finish a David Vizard article, I feel like I can run out into the shop and start cutting a new valve seat or welding up an exhaust or something. When I finish a McFarland one, I'm often left with this vague sense that I've almost, but not quite, grasped the essence of some valuable insight.
Certainly their styles are different, and they write for a different audience. David has probably made a lot more money writing for gearheads than has Jim.

Wouldn't you like to sit around with both of them over a few beers and discuss perhaps intake theory and practice? I'd buy the beer!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MadBill
I get your jist there..... Jim is just not very clear. I think he really understands the material, but just doesn't do as good of a job at explaining the material to others.

Bret

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fantastic Magazine (A MUST read with lots of Advanced tech content)