Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerated Oil?

How is this prevented?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:37 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Dry-Sump oiling in the case of an LSX. It can be controlled by the way the oil is returned to the pan, the design/dimensions of the oil pan, the counterweight f the crankshaft, and other things.

-Ben R.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Who sells a dry sump system for LSX applications? Trying to get an idea of $?
Besides a dry sump system...how would a backyard daily driver fix or address aerated oil? IE. Different Oil pan design? Different oil viscosity? Etc?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
8 Sec Tuner

www.drysump.com sells an LSX kit.

There are some aftermarket oil pans that may help with aeration. There are some oiling system modifications that can be made to an LSX to help with the problem, but they're highly involved processes and will run you a fair amount of $$$.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LSx series engines have a lot of hot rod tech built into them..in this case it is the windage tray and the configurationof the oil pan and crank shaft that keeps the oil away from the crankshaft..the LS7 has the bennifit of the dry sump system mentioned above. GM took a lot of the tricks that racers had been using on the good ol Chevy small block over the years and incorprated them in the third gen engine when they designed the new motor..
Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Actually the LS1 oil system isn't that great as it came from GM.....

-Ben R.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Actually the LS1 oil system isn't that great as it came from GM.....

-Ben R.
Bingo...

We have and presently are doing both wet and dry sump systems for the cars. I believe the hot set up may end up being a wet sump w external pump. Our products are available through:
SDPC
Thunder
and Futral to name a few.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Bingo...

We have and presently are doing both wet and dry sump systems for the cars. I believe the hot set up may end up being a wet sump w external pump. Our products are available through:
SDPC
Thunder

You and I have had converstions about the oil system..but I just don't see the problems with it myself..but then again I am on the street and not in a racing application ..I run mine hard and it keeps coming back for more and no oil pressure or consumption issues...used run Hemis back when they were real hemis..all of them had the Milodon oil system on them..wet sump w\external oil pump and swinging pickup..100 PSI for oil pressure.. if yours are anything like those they are a quality product...
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Who sells a dry sump system for LSX applications? Trying to get an idea of $?
Besides a dry sump system...how would a backyard daily driver fix or address aerated oil? IE. Different Oil pan design? Different oil viscosity? Etc?

Thanks!
Daily driver use, right...?
How much oil you got in there...?
Is your dipstick stock...?
Do you have the stock windage tray...?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

LE 8800 Monolec

L.E. oil
Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
You and I have had converstions about the oil system..but I just don't see the problems with it myself..but then again I am on the street and not in a racing application ..I run mine hard and it keeps coming back for more and no oil pressure or consumption issues...used run Hemis back when they were real hemis..all of them had the Milodon oil system on them..wet sump w\external oil pump and swinging pickup..100 PSI for oil pressure.. if yours are anything like those they are a quality product...

I have learned a great deal about oiling systems since going to work for Mr. Stef but I am far from an expert. I can say that he has made some comments about what needs to be done to the system to fix it. Drain back is one of the issues I know. The LS1 platform is an excellent piece.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what is the probelm you are actually getting??? air being picked up in the oil (bubbles), or air being pumped around instead of oil (oil starvation) ???????

thanks Chris.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
8 Sec Tuner

The biggest problem is the way the oil returns back to the oil pan. It just drops out from the top of th engine right onto the spinning crankshaft!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The oiling setup on the Gen I & II SBC's is superior as far as windage is concerned to the LS1 system. GM tried to improve on it with the LS6 blocks with some results but it's still allows as mentioned before the oil to drop straight on the spinning crankshaft. Hence the new LS7 is dry sumped to combat the above problems.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

If GM wanted to get it right on the LS1 they should've copied the Windsor design. Now that's a good OEM oiling system.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Back when i had my car my oil would have tons of air bubbles in it and after reading up on this i found this is a bad thing. I never really thought anything about it untill i heard the term aerated oil. So i just thought i would learn a little bit about what causes this to happen and what i can do to prevent it in the future down the road when i get another LSX vehicle.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back when i had my car my oil would have tons of air bubbles in it
This should not happen unless the engine is overfilled with oil and the oil is coming into contact with the crank or the crank is close enough to cause the oil to froth or foam. While the LS1 oil design is not perfect, I don't think it causes any damage rather it takes away some power.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Bingo...

SDPC
Thunder
Chris,
Can you elaborate on the wet sump,external pump setup you have. Obviously you guys have a pan/pickup coming out. This is the setup I am using, and was about to start fabbing up an oil pan.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
Chris,
Can you elaborate on the wet sump,external pump setup you have. Obviously you guys have a pan/pickup coming out. This is the setup I am using, and was about to start fabbing up an oil pan.
Drysump, wetsump internal, and wet sump external are all available. The way we do things is made to order for the customer so we really don't stock anything. Leadtime is 4 to 5 weeks. We have taken some windage and baffling tricks from the Ford FE and Chrysler Y blocks. These are proven HP makers and in testing over the last 2 yrs have proven to work well on the LS1 platform.

The drysump we worked the the "big Guys" on and windage and baffling in this pan along with pick up location works very well. Pick up location is based on drag racing or road racing application. We suggest running a 4 stage system in drag racing applications so that we can use the 3rd pickup as a deceleration pickup in the front of the pan.

Construction is out of aluminimun, steel, or stainless steel. Aluminum and steel are the same price for construction. Stainless is about double.

Cost on wet sumps will be around $730 for the pan and pickup. Dry sumps will start around $750 and that includes 2 x pickups.

Product is available from:
SDPC
Thunder
Futral
WCCH

NOTE: I want to make this clear. We don't stock these items. We are build to order. So please know up front it will be 4 to 5 weeks before any pan would ship. This is our slow time. Once December hits we go to 5 to 6 weeks and by the end of Jan. it is 8 weeks. No 2 week promises from this company.

Last edited by Cstraub; 07-28-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Drysump, wetsump internal, and wet sump external are all available. The way we do things is made to order for the customer so we really don't stock anything. Leadtime is 4 to 5 weeks. We have taken some windage and baffling tricks from the Ford FE and Chrysler Y blocks. These are proven HP makers and in testing over the last 2 yrs have proven to work well on the LS1 platform.

The drysump we worked the the "big Guys" on and windage and baffling in this pan along with pick up location works very well. Pick up location is based on drag racing or road racing application. We suggest running a 4 stage system in drag racing applications so that we can use the 3rd pickup as a deceleration pickup in the front of the pan.

Construction is out of aluminimun, steel, or stainless steel. Aluminum and steel are the same price for construction. Stainless is about double.
Chris,
This is killer news. I was dreading having to fab up a custom pan for an external wet sump system. No dry sumps allowed in my class
So I just need to call you at Stef's to get the ball rolling? I work for Lamar Walden racing engines. I know we've ordered a ton of stuff before from Stef's.
Thanks for responding

Quick Reply: Aerated Oil?