Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Boosted cyl. pressure?

Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boosted cyl. pressure?

Has anyone ever seen studies or can tell me what the cylinder pressure would be in a boosted application at as compared to N/A or nitrous app. Im looking to find out how much more strenuous it is on valvetrain parts at high boost? Especially on a cam with large overlap.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Teching In

Cyl pressure has little affect on valvetrain performance. Maybe im missing the question???
Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 AM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by AlkyInMyBlood
Cyl pressure has little affect on valvetrain performance. Maybe im missing the question???
Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

There is more stress on the exhaust side, that's why we use oversized pushrods.

No idea about a formula, sorry.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
There is more stress on the exhaust side, that's why we use oversized pushrods.

No idea about a formula, sorry.
Thanks guys, just looking for the #s as far as exh. side cyl pressure at the valve opening event, I know somone has the data.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Teching In

If you aint using the biggest, baddest pushrod available anyways than your missing the boat. Thats why with a properly designed valvetrain, cyl pressure is of no concern. Deflection is caused by the spring pressure more than the cyl pressure, plus the valve has help from the rocker ratio=leverage.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you aint using the biggest, baddest pushrod available anyways than your missing the boat. Thats why with a properly designed valvetrain, cyl pressure is of no concern. Deflection is caused by the spring pressure more than the cyl pressure, plus the valve has help from the rocker ratio=leverage.
OK, so what if you have the biggest pushrods but it breaks the exh lifter @ 20psi and only 1400hp? we need anothr 10psi to complete this project. Has anyone actually heard of someone testing the cyl. pressure?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
OK, so what if you have the biggest pushrods but it breaks the exh lifter @ 20psi and only 1400hp? we need anothr 10psi to complete this project. Has anyone actually heard of someone testing the cyl. pressure?

Regardless of the actual #'s, if you know the cyl pressure is high enough to break the lifters at evo than would it possibly be beneficial (in terms of horsepower and the valvetrain longevity) to delay evo from where it's at now?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, but the valve is on the wrong side of the lever for it to be helpful. A lower ratio rocker arm might be benificial.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Slow the rate of exhaust valve opening. It might be possible to have the same exhaust lobe ground backwards, but I would check with the cam grinder to see if the closing rate would still be safe.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Teching In

With today's technology and materials I thought this was an afterthought. I recently finished a 615 cid with twin 91's making around 3200hp at 9600rpm. Lifters were tool steel and pushrods were 9/16 .190 wall. This is a stupid agressive cam. 400 on the seat and over 1100 over the nose. Probably 8 runs on springs till theyre toast.

If you buy the best its not a worry.

As for delaying the EVO, that a bad way to adress that. You wanna open that sucker as soon as possible in a high hp turbo car.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

With today's technology and materials I thought this was an afterthought. I recently finished a 615 cid with twin 91's making around 3200hp at 9600rpm.
With todays technology that kind of power is made about 1600 rpm lower than that and valvesprings will last nearly the entire season.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Keeping RPM down is not as eazy as you might think.

My 582" is made for 9000 RPM. Monster heads on small motors raises the RPM.

We use bigger pushrods on the exhaust even tho they are much much lighter than the int is because you have to push thru the cyl pressure. I never heard anything about the springs causing deflection. I was taught they just close the valves.

If you are that worried about being safe, get the big Jessel, I've never seen one of them break. We only use Manton pushrods.

Where are all these 3000 HP cars at. Everyone is building them, where the hell are they at. I've never seen a 3000 HP gas motor.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Keeping RPM down is not as eazy as you might think.
I wasn't making a speculation, this is fact with centrifugally blown methanol and less than 600 inches.

Where are all these 3000 HP cars at. Everyone is building them, where the hell are they at. I've never seen a 3000 HP gas motor.
I haven't seen one on gasoline either. 3000hp on methanol is a reality however in outlaw racing with a centrifugal or turbo.

Last edited by andereck; 12-13-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Teching In

I still havnt seen and EFI system that can handle the fuel demands for methanol in a 3000hp motor thats turbo'd/CentCharged. Cant do it with MFI.

Anyways, when people say that the have 3000 some horse, theyve never had it on a dyno and its a good guess. This one went on an inertia dyno.

And yes the power can be made at lower rpm, but you ever think we might WANT to make it a 9600? Figure out why and theres a prize instore. And as far as springs, if you know of a spring that agressive that has that kind of life span, please let me and every other prostock team know so we can save about 100k a year in springs.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

I wonder if anyone is even looking at how harmonics play into the situation. If a pushrod and spring have their natural frequencies too close to each other, bad things happen when they both start to resonate at around the same rpm. From valve float, to broken parts, to an inexplicable power dip at a certain rpm. It's complicated because while you can get the natural frquency of a spring, many pushrod manufacturer's dont even know the natural frequency of the pushrods they're manufacturing. Experiments have been done by clamping a pushrod in a fixture with a transducer at the bottom and then striking the pushrod. The trace from the transducer then will give you the natural freqency. In some cases, a monster spring that barely survives isn't always the answer. If a harmonic exists, changing to a different pushrod might fix the problem and allow a milder spring.

Al
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

I wonder if anyone is even looking at how harmonics play into the situation.
I've been reading into Pro Stock engine tech and their dyno testing summaries.

Many teams have found the pushrods to be responsible for harmonics when
tuning the valve train. Sometimes they will change the material, or even
give up a few grams of weight savings to get more power back into the system.

Even using the wrong tip profile can cause issues against the rocker arms.

Sometimes what seems to be a spring osciallating is actually stemming from
a pushrod. It's a good bit of info to retain when troubleshooting your engine.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 PM
The know it all's know it all

This would be a good sign that your vale timming is wrong. If its breaking parts trying to open the valve you are in fact bleeding off power. Try pulling the cam back from its very early ICL to a later ICL. As for what others have posted your EVO is to early which means you have to much overlap or a poorly designed camshaft pissing away power.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:40 PM
The know it all's know it all

I still havnt seen and EFI system that can handle the fuel demands for methanol in a 3000hp motor thats turbo'd/CentCharged. Cant do it with MFI.

Anyways, when people say that the have 3000 some horse, theyve never had it on a dyno and its a good guess. This one went on an inertia dyno.

And yes the power can be made at lower rpm, but you ever think we might WANT to make it a 9600? Figure out why and theres a prize instore. And as far as springs, if you know of a spring that agressive that has that kind of life span, please let me and every other prostock team know so we can save about 100k a year in springs.
Making power at 9500 vs 7500 means less Tq which is easier to hook up and make traction with. Thats a no brainer in a tire limited car. Its also easier on drivetrian parts.

Move your lobes around.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sean Collins
This would be a good sign that your vale timming is wrong. If its breaking parts trying to open the valve you are in fact bleeding off power. Try pulling the cam back from its very early ICL to a later ICL. As for what others have posted your EVO is to early which means you have to much overlap or a poorly designed camshaft pissing away power.
Exhaust valves opening under cyl pressure is an un-avoidable evil. A tech from Jesel was asked at PRI this week about this issue he said "other rockers and stands will help the problem" also when asked how much pressure are we dealing with he said "compared to n/a, the cyl pressure is huge" but could not give a number. I did see an OEM designer today and will again tomorrow, he has tested these pressures with transducers with their own dedicated hole in the combustion chamber. I hope he will shed some light (actuall numbers) tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boosted cyl. pressure?