Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

camshafts... semester 2...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshafts... semester 2...

ok i want some advanced knowledge about camshafts specifically dealing with LSx motors.

i understand how a valvetrain works and the function of a camshaft..
i understand what duraration is, and what lift is.
i and cloudy on lobe separation...

there are alot of myths out there.
ppl say that lsa determines lope.. i personally dont think that its just LSA. i would think it would be a combination of factors... i may be wrong let me know..

another thing that i have pondered with no answer is a situation that happened about 8 months ago.. i purchased an r1 cam form MTI- approximatly (230/232 .575/.578 lsa 114). turns out when i had the cam resurfaced by comp, they found that it wasn't an r1 but a y1 (234/240 .598/.608 lsa 113) cam. basically i purchasedand and installed a bigger cam than everyone involved had thought. question 1 - would that factor effect the tune? question 2- would the fact that the car was tuned for smaller cam effect it on motor with timing take out. question 3- would it effect the car with a dry 100shot of gas?
ok here is the second part of this same situation.. MTI says that their y1 will not work on a stock cubed block, but i never experianced a problem with piston to valve clearance... i had the 5.3 heads off 2 twice and there wasn't any sign of a valve being hit, and the car ran like it was suppose to.. does MTI say this because of a they know people in six speeds sometimes miss gears and over rev the motor? i dont know..

the other thing im unclear on is: people talk there being specific cams for nitrous applications.. specically dealing with valve overlap.. explain valve overlap in relation to nitrous.. people also say that nitrous is nitrous it works despite the cam...

i have also heard that boosted applications dont like valve overlap please explain this as well..

i know its alot of information... but please help build my knowledge. thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...ID=-2026144213

Here you go young grasshopper!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lope is determined by overlap. The amount if overlap is determined by a combination of the duration and lobe seperation of the cam.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Maybe

Always have the car tuned after your mods are done if you want the optimal tune you can get.

Nitrous will work fine with any cam pretty much. Most people like to go with more exhaust duration than intake duration with nitrous.

Boosted applications dont mind overlap, the more overlap and duration the less manifold boost you will see though but you will have higher airflow and pressure through the cylinders, which is what really matters. Manifold boost means nothing really in terms of power, its all about airflow and cylinder pressure.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

thanks guys that articled cleared alot of things up..

yes i did have my car tuned after the cam, but the problem occured because somewhere someone put a larger cam in box that was marked for a smaller cam.. so there was no way of being able to tell until it got resurfaced.

two months later the car blew up at the track on a 100 dry kit... two connecting rods shattered and then a whole shitload of other things where trash because of that. anyway i think the rods just failed i wouldn't think the tune would of caused that problem.. whats yall opinion?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doa search in this section on Camshaft discussion. There are a couple of threads you might find interesting.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your car dyno tuned or mail order? If it was a dyno tune, fuel and spark maps should have been based on what they saw the car wanted. A mail order tune based on what you thought you had would have been off some, but the difference shouldn't have been earth shattering.

A 100 shot in no way requires a nitrous cam, but a typical nitrous cam would have a wider LSA and more exhaust duration.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome article Ryan!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Launching!

He's right. It's all about cylinder pressure...
Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrote a research paper about basic camshaft theory. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you. It's very basic and easy to understand.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
WOW Ive gotten throught the first few pages and this article is one of the best I have read !!!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
WOW Ive gotten throught the first few pages and this article is one of the best I have read !!!
I bookmarked it for future reading...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
FormerVendor

i have comp cams CAM QUEST 6 for sale cheep!!!!!! check it out. That had to be the best cam article that i have read!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6750106&rd=1,1

Quick Reply: camshafts... semester 2...