Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Hand Porting Cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand Porting Cylinder heads

I have access to a flow bench through my school and Im considering buying a set of older 241/853 casting heads just to try my hand at porting. Does anyone have an idea of what a good "goal" would be for airflow once these are done, or have any tips while in the process of porting them?

They will most likely never end up on the car, Im just really interested in seeing what I could do with them.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

there is alot to learn, bigger is NOT better.

Have fun & good luck. Oh yea, wear ear plugs & glass's, u will be there a long time.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my searches, I found several people said the valve job was the area for where the biggest improvements were made. After that, blending those cuts smoothly into the port without removing too much is the key. Lastly, touch up work around the bowl and smoothing the guide are the last area of big returns.

After that, the bench would best tell you what the port wants.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Hmm...I was not aware of any performance schools in the area? Interesting...

Do you have access to seat and guide equipment? Figure out the valve job and all the static info first, test second.

Dennis
Old 03-06-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pennsylvannia College of Technology...and to answer your question the school has everything from a dyno to a water-jet. I am trying to keep the port relatively simple at first because I havnt taken any class involving aftermarket porting yet so my knowledge is limited to what I have read on LS1Tech and other sites on the net but I have been reading just about everything I can find lately.

Anyone had any an idea of what a hand port can do for some '98 heads? I figured I would go with the center bolt heads and if they do turn out good I could swap them out for the junk ones on my TA now and gain a few extra HP.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

It's an art form.

I would really work on being consistent from port to port.

Good luck and have fun. It's a ton of work.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been know to be a bit picky, and somewhat of a perfectionist + I love a challenge so im thinking I will have fun with trying to match all the ports (and if i can't do it i'll probably have nighmares about it every night untill they're perfect)

Im pretty excited to do this, I will post some before and after numbers from the flow bench for everyone, but also does anyone have an idea how many CFM would be a good gain for a hand porting?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't worry about flow at this point...Do yourself a big favor, and learn the theory first, and how to use the grinder second. I know it seems like "art"...it really is not....just a little math, and good grinder control.

If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

The "art" is how to use the grinder and to get what you want. You can know all the theory you want and still fall short if the skills are not there.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Hey, I'm not that far away from you. I have some ported 98 heads and a ported 99 head laying around. If you would like to see them or use them to study and learn what to do and what not to do you are more than welcome. These were hand ported by me and both were ported a little different. I think with unlimited access to a flowbench and lots and lots of time, there is alot that can be learned. The 98's were my first attempt at porting and the 99 was my second. I think they both can be improved esp. the 98's. Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you at? I may have to take you up on that if I can find some extra time...between school, and all my extra little projects I can't seem to find time for much of anything. I've had a cam sitting at home for three months now and I am just now finally getting to install it this next week while i'm of for spring break.

Thanks for the offer though I will have to let you know if i get a chance to come check them out.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Lots and LOTS of work is involved. expect to spend alot of time in this project! I recently just started my porting project myself. Its very time consuming alot of research helps out they even selld books, dvds for it. From what ive read about hand porting shorting the short side of your bowl to intake is very important. Also with some blending in the bowl work. "knifing" and smoothing out around the valve guides is another good factor to keep in mind.

Jegs sells a god porting and polishing kit for 30.00 it comes with different grade sandpaper bits to help the polishing process once you have roughed in your work.

Best of luck to ya!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished up a set of 98(806) heads for my truck.(69 c-10)
I already had my cam so I didn't feel like it would help me
mutch to know what the heads flowed. I took some pictures
of them and will try to get them on here. There probly a case
of what not to do. Good luck though