Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought this was a pretty cool read

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...building_tips/
Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Launching!

sorry to hear what hpppened down there. Keep us in the loop from a local.

That was good.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

"At 9,800 rpm on the Spintron, a Pro Stock engine's valvetrain takes 126 hp to turn. "

That is pretty cool!
It is facts like this you can only get from top notch places like Reher-Morrison(SP?).
I want them to build my next motor...
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=gun5l1ng3r]"At 9,800 rpm on the Spintron, a Pro Stock engine's valvetrain takes 126 hp to turn. "
[QUOTE]

A stock LS motor does not generate enough power to even turn a blower on a Top Fuel car. So I am not surprised by the above.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when was the last time they had a competitive pro stock engine?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah it was terrible what happend. However, I am amazed at the resolve that I have been seeing. If you get a chance check out youtube for the Penn State tribute to VT. I was really shocked!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Reher Morrison are some of the best engine builders in the country, talk about Advanced Performance Tech. Anyway, 67 Ranger, pro stock is a very tight field and sometimes even the best don't qualify every time. One of the cars I crew for has a little single carb Reher Morrison in it, and we would be happy to set up a match race with any door car you have. Also, one of the baddest Pro Mods in the country runs a Reher Morrison set up. Maybe you have heard of Shannon Jenkins from Speedtech? I'm sure you have.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"$38,000 for each additional horsepower found on the dyno."

CRAZY!

When I read stuff like that it just makes me realize how little I actually know.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
"$38,000 for each additional horsepower found on the dyno."

CRAZY!

When I read stuff like that it just makes me realize how little I actually know.

Yeah...those guys are a whole 'nother level!
Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
when was the last time they had a competitive pro stock engine?
Maybe you need to drive up there and show them how to do it? I have known those guys over 30 years. Those are sharp, hard working guys. Not just a bunch of internet racers that talk it but can't do it. Takes cubic dollars to run NHRA Pro Stock, and a full time comitment to r&d, with weekly (most often more han one day) on-track testing sessions. About impossible to run a busy race engine business like David & Bruce have and keep up in Pro Stock. If you have no connections with one of the better teams you may not realize the time and millions of dollars involved. If you won the lottery tomorrow, you could not go out this or next week and buy a FAST NHRA Pro Stock engine. You could buy an engine, but not stout enough to crack the top half of the field, if it would qualify at all. It would be last year's stuff. Look at the IHRA Pro Stock hot dogs, 98% of those guys tried NHRA, and I most always saw them going home Sat evenings. Nobile,Patrick,Corvo, etc, etc.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

That was a great little story. Thanks for posting.

As for insulting R M, in my opinion anyone that even qualifies one time out of a hundred gets my respect and praise. Failing or running out of money or whatever the case may be for NHRA pro-stock can not be used against them or their skill. I'm not a fan of Pro-Stock, but that is the frigging hardest class & most complicated car you will ever come across. .001 of a second is huge to those people and to do it pass after pass should be applauded. Most weeks you must make a perfect pass on fri. night to qualify, and if u miss the clutch by a touch, you're going home sat night.

R M is one of the top builders in the history of our sport, there is nothing left they need to prove, I'm a Schmidt fan & customer, but I'm not going to listen to anyone like R M be insulted after all they did for our sport for over 20 + years.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Good read, Thanks !
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Reyer Morrison is hands down one of the best engine builders EVER and anyone that questions that is a freakin idiot. And yes Shannon Jenkins "The ICEMAN" and all the boys at SpeedTech run Reyer Morrison.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
Reyer Morrison is hands down one of the best engine builders EVER and anyone that questions that is a freakin idiot. And yes Shannon Jenkins "The ICEMAN" and all the boys at SpeedTech run Reyer Morrison.
...and Shannon happens to be a local boy
Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

shannon ran fulton for years but he went to reher morrison just to gain a few horspower,im sure a lot of friendships are lost in this cut throat sport,reher morrison has done nothing but good things for the racing community.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Maybe you need to drive up there and show them how to do it? I have known those guys over 30 years. Those are sharp, hard working guys. Not just a bunch of internet racers that talk it but can't do it. Takes cubic dollars to run NHRA Pro Stock, and a full time comitment to r&d, with weekly (most often more han one day) on-track testing sessions. About impossible to run a busy race engine business like David & Bruce have and keep up in Pro Stock. If you have no connections with one of the better teams you may not realize the time and millions of dollars involved. If you won the lottery tomorrow, you could not go out this or next week and buy a FAST NHRA Pro Stock engine. You could buy an engine, but not stout enough to crack the top half of the field, if it would qualify at all. It would be last year's stuff. Look at the IHRA Pro Stock hot dogs, 98% of those guys tried NHRA, and I most always saw them going home Sat evenings. Nobile,Patrick,Corvo, etc, etc.
Most of the time it isn't about HP, it is about clutch, gearing, and adapting to the conditions. Horsepower can be bought or rented. It is the rest of the equation where people come up short.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by helicoil
Most of the time it isn't about HP, it is about clutch, gearing, and adapting to the conditions. Horsepower can be bought or rented. It is the rest of the equation where people come up short.
Everything can be bought or rented including a complete competitive chassis setup for the weekend - Crew Chief for rent is common. Commitment past the intial ego rush just a few weeks in the season however can't be purchased, as demonstated by numerous Texans throughout the years. Reher-Morrison is one of the few accessible engine shops in the country that can produce a competitive NHRA 500in engine and provide complete support. David Nickens is another very accessible and successful builder and crew chief. There are few innovators in this particular market who's operation is public and provide other building services, and fewer still that provide free tech info and education at their shop.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:14 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by helicoil
I don't know how many competitive NHRA Pro Stock racers you actually know, but the clutch won't get you 2 mph on everybody else. The REALLY good engines can't be bought or rented. You can do your best to build twin engines, one will often be faster, and it may not be the one with the biggest dyno numbers. Not many shops rent/lease Pro Stock engines anymore. Steve Schmidt or Bill Jenkins (if you could afford him) would probably be the best scource for a fast lease engine. Your not likely to rent one from Greg Anderson. If you could, it would be the previous generation, not present.

Really good cylinder heads you protect with your life. Cutting them on a cnc machine does not mean they will all run the same. Some hand work is still involved. Frank is working to the Mike's engines back running like last year. They dyno well, but...

The cars don't even all react the same. Last year my friend had a car that would not 60' worth a damn. He was weak at 60' & 330'. Ran the back half well. This year, new car, off the same jig, and it hooks like crazy. He has been under .980 in 60' numerous times this year. Now his engines don't run the back half like last year.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember the quote in Days of Thunder..."there aint nutnin' stock about a stock car"?

Well there aint nuthin stock about a pro stock engine! I read an article one time about pro stock engines...every piece is hand massaged, they try infinite amounts of port shapes,port placement, valve placement,piston dome shapes etc, they play with EVERY aspect of what makes power, and even some that in past thoughts were thought to be a waste of time.

I even read that the cylinder heads come so UNFINISHED they look like a plain block of aluminum.....many many have been junked trying new things on a head. I have much respect for guys like Reher and Morrison and the like, even in Comp eliminator, super stock and stock the technology there is mind boggling.

Hers is what I would lie to see, EFI small blocks in pro stock...similar to the pro stock trucks but with efi.

David

ED CALL ME I GOT PROBLEMS!

Ph number in a pm I just sent you

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-24-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Remember the quote in Days of Thunder..."there aint nutnin' stock about a stock car"?

Well there aint nuthin stock about a pro stock engine! I read an article one time about pro stock engines...every piece is hand massaged, they try infinite amounts of port shapes,port placement, valve placement,piston dome shapes etc, they play with EVERY aspect of what makes power, and even some that in past thoughts were thought to be a waste of time.

I even read that the cylinder heads come so UNFINISHED they look like a plain block of aluminum.....many many have been junked trying new things on a head. I have much respect for guys like Reher and Morrison and the like, even in Comp eliminator, super stock and stock the technology there is mind boggling.

Hers is what I would lie to see, EFI small blocks in pro stock...similar to the pro stock trucks but with efi.

David

ED CALL ME I GOT PROBLEMS!

Ph number in a pm I just sent you
i cant remember who...(it was an 07 cobra), in ihra prostock ran an EFI split dominator manifold last season on his motor. that thing was fast. it was odd. it just seemed to have a little more avg power than the others.