Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

complex math and so???are skills

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Default complex math and so???are skills

Does anyone here have the skills/time/inclination to engineer a spreadsheet for sd tuning on the newer pcms such as the c6 z06? The simultaneous multi-variable calculus required is far beyond my capabilities.

edit- BTW, what is up with the word so???are coming up with ???
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So???are has the F T W in it and is now being filtered. There are a few tuners on board whom have made different spread sheets for tuning, now for the LS7, I am sure someone can figure it out.
Robert
Old 05-07-2007, 10:06 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know REDHARDSURPA is very good with math and im sure he could figure out what your looking to do.And when i say he is good with math that is a understatement on how bright he is.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

Why do you need calculus for SD tuning?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

The last time I looked, redhardsupra had his/her own agenda going. MOST people with the skills required for this task will be making all the money they want without the help of this board. As for the guy who asked why you need math for sd tuning, The new pcm's have NO sd table, but rather a 3-5 part equation that makes up what used to be an SD table. Anyone who can actually do what I asked in the first post is ONLY doing so out of charity or boastfullness. Noone makes up 5 dimensional calculus equations just for fun.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

already on it guys, but my schooling is getting in the way of my education :/ gimme another 6 weeks.
it's not easy to understand but with right tools it shouldn't be bad. it will however require some rather advanced and expensive so???are, so i'm not sure how most of you are going to use it. i'll have to figure it out.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

No calculus should be required for EFI Tuning. The whole system is based off snapshots of the "current" operating conditions. It doesn't use causal filters or future predicitons based off slops to enhance fuel delivery. Calculus is really just fancy multiplication in the end though.

There is caculus in your car BEWARE!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Banned

Well, I'm good at creating spreadsheets, and have hptuners (although I'm still somewhat a noob at tuning), and I'm good at math. But my Calculus is very rusty. I would be willing to try something, but if it really involves multivariable calculus, I would have to do ALOT of reviewing.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you post up whatever formula you need,and how you need it, i can put it in a spreadsheet...
but be aware, i have no clue what its for or doing..ive never looked at the newer PCMs.... i can only do the math part... lol.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

this isn't about a formula in a spreadsheet, if it was just it, i'd have it done long time ago. LS2 (E40) VE tuning is a good example of this. the main formula is simple, but no one that I know of at least, been able to use it successfully.

the era of a kid tuner with spreadsheets is over, we've leaped into "rocket scientists with a lot of custom MatLab code" tuning.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
The last time I looked, redhardsupra had his/her own agenda going. MOST people with the skills required for this task will be making all the money they want without the help of this board. As for the guy who asked why you need math for sd tuning, The new pcm's have NO sd table, but rather a 3-5 part equation that makes up what used to be an SD table. Anyone who can actually do what I asked in the first post is ONLY doing so out of charity or boastfullness. Noone makes up 5 dimensional calculus equations just for fun.
Her? What did I ever say to make me sound so girly?
What agenda?

The equations for the full model (needed only if you have variable cams) that need to be optimized have actually 16 coefficients. for the c6z06 stuff we need to optimize 'only' 6 of them. either way, the method to do it is the same no matter how many of them you got. I think I have a pretty good idea on how to tackle it, but it's going to be complex and computationally expensive.

And yes, I am doing it for sheer ***** and grins factor, I just wanna make sure that our motors have the best capability of getting tuned, no matter how complicated GM will make it for us. Is it going to be free? umm... dunno yet, everything I've released up to this point was, but this one is a whole new difficulty level. I've already spent almost 2k on so???are to be able to come anywhere near understanding this bugger, so I wouldn't mind some return on investment...
Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Can someone explain to me some of the basic equations for this stuff, I would not mind crunching out a few problems .
Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

knock yourself out
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...&highlight=e38
Old 05-08-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't mean anything bad when I said "your own agenda", I just meant that you already do a lot of tutorials, writeups, etc., so I wasn't going to ask a specific person who already seems to have a full workload to tackle this. BTW, I don't know many people on here personally, so I have no idea how many people are men or women--no offense intended.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

no offense taken, i just found it hilariously out of the left field...

and besides, most of my work is done pretty much as a solution to direct questions/needs/problems that people bring up to me; my setup if very tame so i could get away with minimal amount of tuning. if it wasn't for you guys asking good questions i wouldn't do 80% of the stuff i've done. so keep bugging me, just not for the next 7 weeks...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
Kind of looks like they are using ..............................Tensors??
Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Awesome...I would really like to know more about this, from a mathematical standpoint.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think Bink is right, this does look like tensors. i've seen them briefly before only once so this is going to be interesting. is anybody familiar working with them?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Launching!

i think Bink is right, this does look like tensors. i've seen them briefly before only once so this is going to be interesting. is anybody familiar working with them?

only vaguely......they've shown up a few times in my mech. engineering classes, mostly when reviewing stress and strain analysis.

Just a fancy way of saying you'll be messing w/ matrices, is it not?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow i get ******* lost in those numbers

Quick Reply: complex math and so???are skills