Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

why not turbo diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why not turbo diesel

just got a new silverado with the 6.6l duramax and with a chip only im makeing 600hp and it seems real easy to make 1k hp with this motor..

after reading i am just wondering why you dont see any cars drag cars with turbo diesel motors???
Old 06-10-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a pretty serious performance following for turbo diesel. I've seen videos of Ford powerstroke diesels running in the 10's. Also, you should watch the 24 hours of LeMans next weekend to watch the Audi and Pugeot turbo diesels race in the P1 class.

I think the main concern with turbo diesels is that they are not light or small. Also, the electronic controls are pretty recent, so there's probably not a lot of expertise out there. Also, a lot of sanctioning bodies prohibit visible exhaust emissions, which means that engines are not allowed to smoke. A competitive turbo diesel would have to be tuned lean enough to run cleanly, or would have to run exhaust filters. Both of these limit performance.

Give it time, though, I think you will see a few people do it. If it was logical to put Allison V12's in dragsters 50 years ago, then someone will justify a diesel.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I love diesels and my truck has gobs of torque but the horsepower isnt all that great and the trucks weight doesnt help at all
Old 06-10-2007, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

i was at the track a few weeks ago and there was a turbo diesel dragster. i was not impressed at all. it had a 23 second reaction time because it took so long to spool. i think it ran around a 5 sec pass in the 1/8 mile.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:22 AM
Teching In

you should check out Schied Diesel Motorsports dragster, it's supposed to do 200+ in the quarter, so that's what, maybe some good mid 6's? I know what you mean though, after modding my Duramax, I almost s#*! myself. But like Formulated said, they are a 850lb. motor, and if you leaned one out for emissions (diesels already run at like 30:1) you'd take away from one of the most proven forms of adding power to diesels.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Humm I Still May Be Doing The First Duramax T\a .. Well See Later This Year How The Finances Play Out But I Think Finding A Wrecked 2500 And Using That In A T\a Would Be A Hell Of A Project..
Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
Humm I Still May Be Doing The First Duramax T\a .. Well See Later This Year How The Finances Play Out But I Think Finding A Wrecked 2500 And Using That In A T\a Would Be A Hell Of A Project..
Wow... that would be a hell of a project. If you do it, you should try to get it out to some magazine events. It's destined to get, and deserve, some attention. Don't go un-noticed!!!

Myself, I would like to do a natural gas F-body. But, the government out here in So-Cal probably wouldn't trust me.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

that diesel chevelle(think chevelle?) they built on PMR was pretty damn awesome. and it fit decently in there
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

We Will See.....it All Depends On The $$$

I Think The Hardest Part Will Be The Wireing.. Theres No Reason It Cant Be Made To Fit, My Need A Speical Intake But No Biggie
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

The first thing i see an issue with is RPM .Im no expert on Diesel at all and maybe im wrong but i remember like a 4K rpm limit on the diesel truck i borrowed once. Even with my 30" ties on a 1 to 1 gear 4K rpm is not fast you would have to rock 36" tires like pickups to get mph out of it. but id guess if you could get a diesel to rev 7K than you would be in buisness.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

u could put 2.50 rear gears, if not lower even with the wicked torque
Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13330707759731
Old 06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
The first thing i see an issue with is RPM .Im no expert on Diesel at all and maybe im wrong but i remember like a 4K rpm limit on the diesel truck i borrowed once. Even with my 30" ties on a 1 to 1 gear 4K rpm is not fast you would have to rock 36" tires like pickups to get mph out of it. but id guess if you could get a diesel to rev 7K than you would be in buisness.
you could get a diesel up to 7k rpm, its just very difficult, one of many reasons limiting a diesels top speed is instead of injecting fuel during the intake stroke it injects ~ TDC of the compression stroke, during the intake stroke you have a lot of time but with a diesel theres not much time to inject all the fuel it needs, and as the rpm gets higher that times get shorter and shorter, so you must run very large injectors and very high pressure fuel systems. But the guys who drag race high power diesels do get them over 7k rpm, it just takes a lot of money.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

What you'd need is a clutch/torque converter to properly load the engine against a tall gear. The diesel makes stupid torque in a limited rpm powerband.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well, since you know that HP is a function of RPM, and it can't spin as fast as we would like, the horsepower can't be up there. So the limiting factor for HP in a diesel motor is RPM.

I thought that another factor that limited the diesel RPM is the wheight of the rotatng assembly. Because of the amount of pressure created in a diesel, the bottom end has to be alot more stout, and that limits it. Or am I wrong?

Last edited by moyam01; 06-12-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: wrong sig
Old 06-12-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ You are correct... i don't believe i've ever seen a diesel spin to 7K and i've been to the DHRA nationals twice here in indy. It is the rotating assembly and the amount of stress put on it. It would have to be one hell of a bottom end to handle a diesel spinnin 7K. But it would sound badass!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlVK-ihE_8

out of control!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Horsepower is a function of rpm. Do the math, what is more horsepower? 300lb-ft. @6000rpm or 1300lb-ft@ 3200rpm? Diesels don't accelerate like gas, hence the tranny must do the work of coupling a limited powerband range to accelerate the vehicle.
A constantly variable tranny would be best if it could be built strong and aggressive enough.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

The most interesting is if the F1 changes the rules to use Turbo Disels like they are discussing because of enviromental concerns,then will the wheels turn

I have a hard time to imagine the sound of the F1 cars
Old 06-14-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulated
There is a pretty serious performance following for turbo diesel. I've seen videos of Ford powerstroke diesels running in the 10's. Also, you should watch the 24 hours of LeMans next weekend to watch the Audi and Pugeot turbo diesels race in the P1 class.

I think the main concern with turbo diesels is that they are not light or small. Also, the electronic controls are pretty recent, so there's probably not a lot of expertise out there. Also, a lot of sanctioning bodies prohibit visible exhaust emissions, which means that engines are not allowed to smoke. A competitive turbo diesel would have to be tuned lean enough to run cleanly, or would have to run exhaust filters. Both of these limit performance.

Give it time, though, I think you will see a few people do it. If it was logical to put Allison V12's in dragsters 50 years ago, then someone will justify a diesel.
spot on mate! they are getting there. it takes time like it does with any performance mods/tech.

also diesel engines are getting lighter! audi's R10 uses an ally block and heads. the road department said "that cant be done!" they thought it would blow apart but the race guys did it anyway. lol and what do you know it worked! think we will start to see some alli desel motors coming out soon!

the emmsions thing is a problem! but there are way to get around it. filters (as you mentioned) are one way and have worked for the likes of Audi in race applications. also with the latest in multi stage injection that alot of the modern deisels run (they can actually fire the injector as many as 7 times on the combution stroke!!), and maybe evne using multipul injectors, the emssions will become less.

LiENUS i think you also have to concider the time it takes for diesel to burn as being a big factor in why they dont rev. deisel never exsplodes it just burns, even in lean conditions.

another problem witrh tuning a diesel is the injectors themselves. its not like on a LS where you can just swap the injectors for some bigger ones. you actually have to open up the stock units, or replace them, but as they are in the head, it not a 2 min job! lol

on thing that i have heard about is propane injection on diesels. it said to REALLY REALLY work good with them. give a really good increase in power! the only problem is trying to control the flow. you have to add the gas on demand, so its not only rpm controld but load as well. still with moderen control units this shouldn't be a problem

Chris.

Quick Reply: why not turbo diesel