Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Cam Spec Differences.. EFI vs Carb'd

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Spec Differences.. EFI vs Carb'd

Opinions everyone!! I'm going to try a carb/distributor setup this time around and wanted to hear some opinions on what I should do camshaft wise.. Will the current cam work just as good or will there be some power left on the table because of the change from EFI to Carb?? I would think that cam choices would be a little more abundant now..

Old Combo - Nitrous Fed 408 w/ 12:1cr, AFR Heads, GMPP Intake, 1500cfm Accel TB, 42lb Injectors, Tuned via HP Tuners.. Currently has a Comp XER 246/254 .613/.613 113+3..

New Combo - Still Nitrous Fed, 408 w/ 12:1cr, AFR Heads, Ported Victor Jr Intake, Holley 950 HP Carb or possibly bigger, MSD Distibutor & Ignition, etc..

I'm thinking just a hair more lift at around .625 or so and duration in the 250's with something like 10 degrees of split in the duration.. Which could be totally wrong, but I know the 10 degree split will love nitrous. But, the lobe seperation is where I'm kinda confused.. Any advice??
Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I am by no means a cam expert, but it has always been my understanding that a carb would like much less LSA and more overlap. That said the spray dictates similar LSA's to EFI style cams so not really sure. I would think a LSA of about 110 might perform better with a carb than your 113, maybe even tighter if you were not spraying.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
I am by no means a cam expert, but it has always been my understanding that a carb would like much less LSA and more overlap. That said the spray dictates similar LSA's to EFI style cams so not really sure. I would think a LSA of about 110 might perform better with a carb than your 113, maybe even tighter if you were not spraying.
Thats what I was thinking.. But, I don't want this thing to be a complete dog on the motor ya know..
Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I was under the impression that with the exception of idle tuning, the cam requirements had more to do with the actual intake manifold, rather than FI or carb. What I mean is the difference between an ls6 and a victor would be huge regardless of how the fuel gets there. OTOH, the difference between a victor and gmmg should be minor. If I'm wrong I would love to know why, as good info is always handy to have.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I was under the impression that with the exception of idle tuning, the cam requirements had more to do with the actual intake manifold, rather than FI or carb. What I mean is the difference between an ls6 and a victor would be huge regardless of how the fuel gets there. OTOH, the difference between a victor and gmmg should be minor. If I'm wrong I would love to know why, as good info is always handy to have.
You have a good grasp of things. Keep thinking that way.

Quick Reply: Cam Spec Differences.. EFI vs Carb'd