Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

front and rear track

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front and rear track

When you read specs on a car and it says Front track: (65.7 in) Rear track: (63.7 in)... and another cars says front track (inches): 60.7, rear track (inches): 60.6...are they both measuring outside wheel to outside wheel? I'll just wandering if there is a standard ..which there seems to be and what it is. Thanks Josh
Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
When you read specs on a car and it says Front track: (65.7 in) Rear track: (63.7 in)... and another cars says front track (inches): 60.7, rear track (inches): 60.6...are they both measuring outside wheel to outside wheel? I'll just wandering if there is a standard ..which there seems to be and what it is. Thanks Josh
"Track" is measured from the Centerline of the tires, not the outside or inside.

If the car had wider rear tires than fronts, and the outside/outside measurements were the same, the "track" at the centerlines would be slightly smaller in the rear.

Jon
Old 03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

that seems odd...it does not matter what size tires you have or what the offset is compared to other cars right? The reason im asking is i have aproject that has a bit of a differance in the front and Im trying to make sure my adapters are going to put the outside of the wheel near the edge of the fender with out having the body mounted...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
that seems odd...it does not matter what size tires you have or what the offset is compared to other cars right? The reason im asking is i have aproject that has a bit of a differance in the front and Im trying to make sure my adapters are going to put the outside of the wheel near the edge of the fender with out having the body mounted...
Wheel offset absolutely affects the track. Tire width does not, but it affects clearances.

Your concern seems to be where the outside edge of the tire is. My advice is to mount the body on the chassis before you decide on tire size, wheel width and offset. There are some neat measuring fixtures you can buy, or even build yourself which let you mock up any tire size on any wheel diameter and rim width and offset.

If you plan to drive the vehicle, you should check clearances to the body, fender, frame, linkages, etc. thru at least some of the bump and rebound travel with the front wheels turned left and right and all of the bump/rebound travel with the wheels straight ahead. With a solid axle rear you should also check with the axle rolled at least a few degrees and thru full travel with no roll.

More than you probably wanted to know.....

Jon
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

ok I see now...thanks for your help. Josh