Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whistler Mod gone wrong. HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whistler Mod gone wrong. HELP NEEDED

So i did the whistler mod to my headlights and as far as painting everything went great and looked really good. But when i went to peel off the tape from the areas I masked off the reflective chrome type material decided to peel off in some areas and looks like ****. I peeled all the tape off very slow and used blue painters tape, but it still came off and it a dark gray color and is noticeable.

What can I do to cover these areas up or maybe repaint with some reflective paint??
Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

I think he means the the reflective part that was taped over started peeling off.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ugh this is what I'm afraid that will happen to my 10 year old headlights if I try and do this...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

My headlights were 10 years old and i had no problems doing mine besides the housing cracking while taking it apart. Did u use blue tape over all the reflective area or did u use the blue tape to tape down news paper? The only fix i could think of is to get like chrome paint.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the blue tape to tape off the reflective parts of the headlights. The parts that peeled it where there was direct contact to the relfective areas, which was right around the edges. i did use news paper in the middle areas.

I think i am going to try some reflective paint and see what it looks like. Maybe i will repaint the entire reflective area or just do some touch ups depending on how well the paint matches.

if it looks like **** im just going to get some halos, which i have heard dont fit the best.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing, but only on one side. Not really that noticeable. Prob should have pressed the tape onto my shirt first, so it would be less sticky. To bad the stock headlights go for so much or i'd just do it again
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

did you remove the tape before you put them in oven?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh? You put them in the oven just to get the lense off.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol yah u put them in the oven to soften up the adhesive to remove the lenses from the headlight housings. The tape is only put on to cover the reflective backings on the housings for painting purposes sicne you want them to remain relfective and only paint the other areas. So there was no tape on when they were in the oven.

In did find some reflective type chrome paint and used that to touch up the spots that had peeled. Looks ok and you cant tell from about 2 ft away. But im pretty **** and I will always know its there, so it is just going to be a temporary fix.

Im picking up the car today with the newly painted sunoco hood so im going to throw the headlights back in and see how they look on the car with the new hood.

Quick Reply: Whistler Mod gone wrong. HELP NEEDED