Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

reupholestering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reupholestering

i was going to just replace my headliner because the fabric is seperating but the headliner itself and the cardboard is still all fine. ive done a bit of searching but was wondering how theyve held up over time or if its better to just buy new. and also if i do the visors, how are the mirrors removed?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only give advice on stuff I've either tried or really know about. Take my advice, unless you've got the skill and tools, this ain't a DIY job. If the "cardboard" is still in good shape, take it to a local car upholsterer and let them do it. Same for the visors. It should cost around or less than $100 if you take the headliner to them. DON'T try to do it yourself by going to a fabric store and using the over-the-counter adhesive, either it will come out looking crappy or you'll end up spending nearly the same amount as you would have if you would have taken it to a pro.

The problem is that most OTC adhesives aren't strong enough to make good contact. And the biggest problem is that the T-roof inside curves are very tricky and you have to get the right stretch on the fabric so that it will overlap enough so that you can't see it with the roofs off. After three tries, I gave up and took it to a pro, but not before I almost messed up the headliner backing.

Some people have gone with the plastic replacement headliners, but they're more expensive that just getting it reupholstered.