Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally got off my ass....

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally got off my ***....

and decided to attack the interior this weekend with a vengence. Didn't have the camera so no pics of the progress up to this point. I'm gonna try to take it home tonight so I can get a pic of how the car is sitting now. Just to give you an idea she is stripped down to just a dash with the windshield masked off, LOL. It'll probably be a couple more days before I can drive her again now that a new work week has started.

My goal for tonight will be getting the windshield unmasked, headliner/visors swapped, seatbelts & carpet. Might not get the carpet done since I have to take my amp out in back & won't even be able to get started till about 6pm.

For anyone curious the damn seatbelt bolt is a T-45, LOL. Found this out after buying 3 different size torks bits, LOL. No biggie, I got the right one now. I still need to dye my center console & dash pad piece that goes under the column. Dash turned out nice from what I could tell last night.

Sitting in the house awaiting installed are the following:

Painted gloss black
vent cups out of dash pad (B!TCH to get out without breaking by the way)
vent louvers
outer vent ring
interior side mirror caps (little triangle pieces)
passanger a-pillar
speedo surround
custom vent gauge ring
radio bezel
door lock/window switch panels
door handle bezels
upper console piece

Still got some things I need to get done this comming weekend, like paint the speaker grills silver, buy a new speedo bezel piece since I cracked the stocker & a couple other small things.

Should be a very nice look sith satin black, gloss black & silver/chrome interior. No more stained up camel puke tan.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should Look Good I Need To Do This Also
Old 10-20-2008, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

I know it was a foul not posting a pic with the original post, sorry guys. Will have pics in the morning though of current progress. It's gonna look totally different inside thats for sure. I opened my door this morning to peek at the dash & it looked brand new again. I'm really excited to get off work & go work on it some more tonight. Sux not having a garage so I'm limited to only getting to work on it during daylight cause I don't want it filled with bugs at night.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

subscribing
Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Mike I've been following your interior ideas for a long time and am pretty anxious to see how this turned out. I was thinking about whether or not to dye the dash and stuff or not. I also debated about using a thin coat of fiberglass resin to harden the surface to use some exterior automotive paint, but I'm still undecided.
Help me decide with your pics!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

I went with the Satin Black SEM dye to keep the glare down. I'm afraid gloss would damn near blind me during the day or at least glare bad enough to effect vision out the windshield possibly.

I will have a extra can of Satin SEM dye if you are interested after I'm done. I still haven't even used the whole first can yet. I also still have that STB if you want it man. It's definetly not gonna fit with a Super Vic EFI intake.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Alright so I big failured last night. Didn't get $hit done I intended on. Had to completely change my coarse of action after finding out that the d@mn headliner wouldn't fit in the daily driver to get it home. And believe me these d@mn things are fragile, so it was a task tryin to get it in the car before discovering it wouldn't completely fit, then tryin to carefully remove it & keep it supported.

So when I got home last night I started on unmasking the windshield just hoping everything looked ok. couldn't really see without removing it all. But to my suprise it looked better than expected, so thats a plus. The tape was a major PITA to get off & my top dash pad now has a small crack in it from I'm guessing me leaning on it to get the wondow masked.

I got the lower console dyed satin black to match the dash. Put a second coat of gloss on the top piece/ashtray lid. And got the piece under the column dyed also. Also got the speedo surround put back together with the chrome vent ring mounted on it. It looks killer.

Tonight will hopefully be removing stock headliner/visors, gloss black the dome light housing, install front Ebony seatbelts(upper part only) & possibly get the Humount installed & wired up. If I have enough time I'll put the vent cups/assemblies back together & in the dash too.

I couldn't get any pics again cause the shop guy came in at 4:45 yesterday & took the camera for a vessel we had shipping out. Nothing goin out today though, so I should be able to take it home.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing for some pics. Good luck with project.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tasilver
subscribing for some pics. Good luck with project.
x2 Good luck can't wait to see the finished project
Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Well this no camera crap is getting on my nerves as well as letting you guys down. I'm not happy about it to say the least.

Last night I found a small fourtune under the old carpet, LOL. Got it pulled out, cleaned up the floorboard, swapped in Ebony carpet, put the vent cups back in the dash, installed custom spacer & Aeroforce gauge, installed Humount but not wired up yet & got the final coats of dye on the lower console & dash piece under the steering column. I tried to get the vents back in but I guess I didn't use enough Epoxy on them b/c after fiddling with them a little the rings came loose. So I'll be fixing those tonight.

I need to put in the rear seat belts, re-install my amp, fix those rings, wire up the Humount, reassemble the center console, install the radio bezel & install the MBA HVAC ***** tonight. If it's still raining then the rear seat belts & amp can wait cause I'm not opening the hatch in the rain for that. The other stuff I can sit in the floorboard & do so the rain won't matter.

Gotta admit I have never stipped a car down this far & put it all back together by myself. It's been a learning experience. So far I haven't broke anything, so thats a plus. I will just have to do the headliner here at work on lunch one day. I have no way to get it home. Once I get the front seat back in so I can drive it, I'll take care of that & then be ready to start on the door panels & leather wrapping parts.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

ok, finally got the camera home last night. Didn't get much done cause it was friggin cold & I was tired, so I just wired up the Humount & called it a night. Here are a couple pics. Sorry for the blur in the illuminated pic. I was shaking cause it was so friggin cold & it just happen to be the last pic I took. But you can get a good idea from it. Anyway, here ya go. Kinda more like a sneak peak, LOL.

I think I'm gonna go ahead & dye the steering wheel also & then just get one of those leather pieces to go around the outside. I don't wanna mess with swapping steering wheels & airbags.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL at the blurry pic.. Pansy *** .. Looks good except the green just clashes with everything.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

I know, damn Pioneer. I have had it for about 7yrs now & it hasn't broke so I haven't replaced it.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Told ya that SEM was super cool! I love how my dash turned out .
Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

yea, I knew the SEM dye was the way to go after doin my headliner with it. The flash made it look more shiney than it is but I had to use the flash since it was dark. In daylight it's a true satin & looks factory.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

I think it turned out very well ! Some things look familiar in that pic

Nice job, keep up the good work !
Old 10-25-2008, 09:07 AM
12 Second Club

Thankx guys. It's really really nice to see it comming together finally after almost 2yrs of gathering parts. I do need to order a new speedo bezel from Steve @ Specialized Stainless though to complete the dash.

Last night I got the center console reinstalled. So this weekend I'm shooting for getting the old headliner out, rest of my small pieces painted gloss black, install Ebony seatbelts front/rear, reinstall my amp, re-epoxy a couple of the chrome rings that came loose, get the rest of the vents installed & finally the front seats so I can drive it to work Monday. Then off to the stereo shop to let my installed tune it back in since & had to unplug the desk to install the Humount.

And I'll take the camera home today so I can get pics over the weekend in daylight.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

so you dyed your headliner?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

if so... what did you use and can I get pics?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

what did you use exactly to dye the dash? where did you get it? how much? will it work for the rest of the interior panels? i need info damnit!!!

Quick Reply: Finally got off my ass....