Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swapped my fogs for a set of projectors...

Old 11-01-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Swapped my fogs for a set of projectors...

This is a piggy back off of this thread; https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/992194-has-anyone-done-projectors-their-fog-lights-firebird.html

Basically, I have not been impressed with the lighting on my Formula in my sig, and wanted to change things up. I decided to go with a Hella 90mm Projector with an H4 bulb and swap out the stock fog lights for them. I just finished the install with a buddy a few hours ago. I'll post up pics later. So far, the appearance of them in the car is a lot better than the stock fogs IMO, however the 90mm housings are smaller than the stock fog light housings, so it leaves a gap around the lights that would look better if it was not present.

I am looking forward to taking some pics tonight to see what difference they really make. Unfortunatly I didn't take any "before" pics to compare them with, but I have seen multiple people do the projector swap with just H4 bulbs and it is crazy the light difference they produce.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Here are some before and after pics appearance wise on the car (not lit)

Before;

After;

Old 11-01-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

You can see in the pics the gap around the new smaller projectors vs the larger stock fog lights I was refferring to. I'll probably be fine with it, unless I can somehow come up with a way to have some form of Halo ring around them. That would be pretty sweet, but not sure how I would do it.

(If anyone has ideas, feel free to post)

I'll definatly get some pics of them lit up to show how the projectors perform.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. You should PM where you got them and I wonder if they fit the TA bumper. Mine are cracked!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

I will say also, that you need some specific connectors also sold at the site, that you'll need to connect the stock wiring with (yeah its a splice and dice deal). You'll also need to make some brackets to mount them as the factory fogs mount into the bumper itself, and these will not. Finally, you'll also have to cut some of the bumper up to make these fit. The housings are smaller than the stock fog lights were, but the opening in the bumper for the stock housings are way to small to fit the projectors through. I just used a dremel and cut out what I needed.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the link to them where I got them; http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=128

Checking things out more, they also offer a 120mm projector that probably would have filled the space a little better than the 90mm modules I got. It says they are currently out of stock on the 120mm ones though, so I may not have been able to get them anyways.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Im pretty sure I can rig up something

thanks man.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you use the adjustable mounting brackets that they sell as well or did you just make your brackets to align straight forward, locked in position?

Looks cool and has to be a heck of a lot better than the stock junkers. I am going to look into this for my Camaro.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

No, I had brackets made for me. I haven't adjusted them yet, as I need to see where the light goes to make the proper adjustments first. The big thing with the brackets are not just being able to adjust with them, but I also used the brackets as means to mount them to the car. I also fabbed up some aluminum pieces that I used to mount the custom brackets that held the projectors to the car itself.

It sounds like a bit much, but it was fabrication that was at a very easy level to do. The brackets I had made would probably be the hardest to make.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Here's some Halo's that would work around the outside, and that would be sweet. Not sure how they tap in electrically, as it would seem they need their own seperate power source so they could be lit while the projectors are off...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Angel...1395QQtcZphoto
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

Well, here are the night pics. I'll say off the bat, that these are better than the stock fogs, and the defining line is what I really wanted, but the power/brightness of the halogen bulbs that are in the projectors didn't really impress me. It's still better than it was before, but not a big difference. Looks like I've got an excuse to get some HID's down the road...

Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

that looks sick!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Wow. You should PM where you got them and I wonder if they fit the TA bumper. Mine are cracked!
I have some fog lights for sale.

PM me if you interested.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 AM
12 Second Club

Looking to get something a lot brighter and clearer. Those fogs from the link are outta stock!
Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Those look real good.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Call911, those look awesome. I was thinking of replacing my foglights with a projector. Good thing you showed me these. Whats also wierd, is that near the center of my stock housings, the hids seemed to have burned an orange mark.

You're going to love the look once you get HID's into those.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Looks good.

Originally Posted by CALL911
I decided to go with a Hella 90mm Projector with an H4 bulb and swap out the stock fog lights for them.
They don't use H4. They come in H7, H9, and D2S versions. Which one did you get?

Also since you are using them as fog lights, you can modify the cut-off shields to be straight across instead of stepped.

the power/brightness of the halogen bulbs that are in the projectors didn't really impress me
H9 has the highest lumen output of any automotive standard-wattage bulb. A relay harness should improve output as well. You can also get a H9 HID kit for them if you want (I have a 4300K H9 HID kit in mine).

its a splice and dice deal
Instead of splicing the stock harness, you can make an adapter harness using the base of the old bulb, some wire, and a socket for the new bulb type. Also, you can incorporate that into a relay harness for improved output on the halogens and for a safety margin for HID.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-05-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Looks good.

They don't use H4. They come in H7, H9, and D2S versions. Which one did you get?

Also since you are using them as fog lights, you can modify the cut-off shields to be straight across instead of stepped.

H9 has the highest lumen output of any automotive standard-wattage bulb. A relay harness should improve output as well. You can also get a H9 HID kit for them if you want (I have a 4300K H9 HID kit in mine).

Instead of splicing the stock harness, you can make an adapter harness using the base of the old bulb, some wire, and a socket for the new bulb type. Also, you can incorporate that into a relay harness for improved output on the halogens and for a safety margin for HID.

The kit I got (and the bulb) say H4. I wanted them right where they are in the car as I can adjust the aiming angle they are at from their current position. I'll just stick with what I have setup also as it will only be a matter of time before I eventually go with some HID's for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapped my fogs for a set of projectors...