Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GTO gauges in an F-body. Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO gauges in an F-body. Possible?

Yeah I'm sure its going to take some good engineering to fit them , but is there a chance everything will hook up? I just want a fast tach and good looking gauges, not overlays.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure gm engineers mileage counts into the integrated dash unit so changing that out (assuming you can get it to work, which is iffy as they may have different reference voltages) may give you totally different mileage reading. Those types of things show up as flags on carfax reports. If you don't care about resale and you have some time I'm sure you could do it may need resistors etc on it and a hand made connection but it could probably be done.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like alot of work.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I figured it would be, I'm just so damn tired of looking at our slow tachs. Vettes and GTO's have awesome tachs.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^
buy a stealth shift light, and/or listen to your motor and shift when it's ready???
Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

I'm getting a shift light and hiding it, I'd like to do the gauges for appearance and function also. Pretty ******* lame that GM would put such slow *** tachs in a performance car and not to mention the shitty inaccurate gauges, of course the vettes and GTO's get good ones though.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should have gotten in on the Mcnord gauges from 6litereater. Mine should be here soon. I will post up some pics of the install after I am done. They look like a cross between GTO and vette gauges.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Have you ever pulled a stock cluster to see how it hooks up?? It would take some good dash modification & alot of wiring to make it happen. The stock cluster is a press fit which means it plugs in to the dash from the back side. Then you only secure it in with the (4) screws. It doesn't have loose harnesses behind it. They are fixed in there.

I think it would take a hell of a lot of custom fabrication to do this & even then your stock dash trim piece might still not look right around those gauges.

Why not do the easiest thing possible & get a aftermarket tach? Takes literally 15 minutes to hook one up if you know whats goin on & you can mount it to the a-pillar to keep it off the dash. then if you sell the car in stock form you only have to replace a $30 a-pillar plastic.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Have you ever pulled a stock cluster to see how it hooks up?? It would take some good dash modification & alot of wiring to make it happen. The stock cluster is a press fit which means it plugs in to the dash from the back side. Then you only secure it in with the (4) screws. It doesn't have loose harnesses behind it. They are fixed in there.

I think it would take a hell of a lot of custom fabrication to do this & even then your stock dash trim piece might still not look right around those gauges.

Why not do the easiest thing possible & get a aftermarket tach? Takes literally 15 minutes to hook one up if you know whats goin on & you can mount it to the a-pillar to keep it off the dash. then if you sell the car in stock form you only have to replace a $30 a-pillar plastic.
Never pulled the cluster **** before. I just know there's a way of getting that tach faster, it can't be that hard. GTO gauges in an f-body does sound like a hard route. Only gauge going on my a pillar is going to be a boost gauge(which will never happen ). Anyone ever taken apart a stock cluster?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

It's sealed up pretty good. I'd think if you were gonna attempt it you would need a spare or yours might end up junk. It's easy to get the cluster out & easy to change bulbs, but actually taking it apart to get to the guts is not something i'd want to tackle.

I don't know of a way to speed up the stock cluster. I know the tach signal from the PCM is dead on. So we can say the cluster itself is the problem. But how to go about fixing that problem I don't know. Thats why most people really worried about it will just either use a shift light or aftermarket tach.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

these gauges resemble them lol.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1003540-group-purchase-gauge-overlays-white-silver-checkered-multiple-colors.html
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
these gauges resemble them lol.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003540
Those look pretty good, but it still doesn't resolve the slow tach. I wonder if a flux capacitor will make it fast...

Last edited by fortmyerspolice; 11-06-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: GTO gauges in an F-body. Possible?