Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What color FRC's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What color FRC's?

help me out here I'm going to get a set of FRC's and do them myself, which color should I paint them? My T/A is red, should I paint them red to match the car color or should I go with DupliColor's ANODIZED RED...before the negative feed back on this color comes in let me say I did a test on some piece of plastic and going by the instructions..using the special base coat(it gives the paint reflection) for anodized paint it came out very sharp
what do you think?
Old 09-20-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What color FRC's?

I don't care about the color, but Duplicolor is crap, IMO. When I used it on my calipers, it reacted with itself and wrinkled horribly. It looked like the skin of an alligator! So the trick is to not give more than 5 minutes between coats. When I had to do my FRC's, I needed to find a paint that wouldn't react with Duplicolor because I had to let the first coat dry so I could put on the decals. A brand named Commercial Coatings did the trick, looks trick as well!!! I used CC ford red, and Duplicolor clearcoat.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:56 AM
TECH Veteran

come on red or anodized red?
Old 09-21-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say black w/ red lettering, or red w/ black lettering. Anodized red would look pretty cool, what about powder coating 'em red? Just another opinion.

But, those are my two color scheme's. Basically, red w/ black, or vice versa.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

you can't powercoat plastic can you?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can't powercoat plastic can you?
Nope.

It's up to you. I would do red, but I did mine that color already so I'm kinda biased
Old 09-22-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

. . . but Duplicolor is crap, IMO. When I used it on my calipers, it reacted with itself and wrinkled horribly. It looked like the skin of an alligator! So the trick is to not give more than 5 minutes between coats. . . .
You waited too long between coats. It clearly staed that if you do not recoat within a certaintime it will "wrinkle"

I have had great luck with Dupli Colors 500* Engine Enamels.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

. . . but Duplicolor is crap, IMO. When I used it on my calipers, it reacted with itself and wrinkled horribly. It looked like the skin of an alligator! So the trick is to not give more than 5 minutes between coats. . . .
You waited too long between coats. It clearly staed that if you do not recoat within a certaintime it will "wrinkle"

I have had great luck with Dupli Colors 500* Engine Enamels.
Yeah, I had to let the first coat dry so I could put on the decals, so I need to find a paint that wouldn't wrinkle. Commercial Coatings did the trick
Old 09-23-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot possibly say enough bad things about Duplicolor white wheel paint,wheel clear coat, and High temp Silver. I used their wheel paint on my motorcycle wheels and followed the directions to perfection (even monitored the temp and humidity) and it did NOT go on the color the can stated and chipped off if you rubbed it too hard. I also used their "high temp" silver paint on my calipers and then clear coated them only to have it flake and generally look like ****. I did prep the surface and cleaned it with the proper cleaner.
Does this apply to the rest of their paint?
No, because I used their high temp black paint on a rear end and on and engine and it help up pretty well.

Just wanted to let you now my experiences with the stuff.