Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with a "make over" on FRCs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with a "make over" on FRCs!

Well...I received my black Corvette fuel rail covers and I need help turning them into custom FRCs for my car. I havent decided on color yet, but thats something that Im going to need opinions on too. Here's some questions that I have for the "project."

1. The red Corvette letter: Do I need to remove it?
2. If so, how and whats the best way to do so?
3. What is the best stuff to fill it in with?
4. What types of grits am I going to need for the entire project? Please list all and in order in which I will need to use them?
5. Is there a sandable primer specifically made for plastic?
6. If so, where can I get it because I havent ran into it around here.
7. What color should I paint them? (black, red, or Gunmetal?)
8. How many coats of primer, color, and clear should I use for a professional look?
9. Im going to remove the A.I.R., does anyone have pics, sites, or links where it shows me what I will need to cut?

I think thats pretty much all I had to ask, but if I think of anymore, I'll let you know. If you have any tips, tricks, or ideas, please feel free to share. Thank you and any help is appreciate.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Need help with a

what color is your car?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Black and Im thinking of installing silver or Gunmetal stripes. I thought that silver or Gunmetal FRCs (whichever I decide on with the stripes) would look good to match the stripes.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/threads/search.php?Cat=

Old 10-02-2003, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used an air dremel type thing to remove the red paint from the corvette since nothing can stick very well to anything shiny. then i filled in the vette with bumper repair, it's stimilar to jb weld but more flexible. then i sanded down the whole thing and sprayed it with high fill primer, sanded that, and painted. i've only had them on for 2 months so don't ask me how long they're gonna last.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ive done several searches with entering different "words to search for," and I havent come up with anything that explains how to customize FRCs. The only thing that Ive ran into, is the part numbers, what cuts to be made, etc. So far, I took your advice (98trans am) and took out the red CORVETTE lettering with a dremel, but I used epoxy to fill it in. Ive made the cuts necessary, which wasnt much since I blocked off the A.I.R. tubes. I had to reposition the tabs or whatever you want to call them that snap onto the pointed bolts that hold the coil brackets onto the valve cover. Its the bolts with the pointed tips on them. Hell...I dont know what theyre called, but you get the point. Everything is set expect that I have to sand the cover and the expoxy. I guess from here, all I need to know is what grits of sand paper do I need for the entire project, what kind/type of paint, primer, clear, etc. The only thing that Ive come across that is "specifically made for plastic" is the Krylon fusion. I posted about it a while back, but there wasnt much response which means no one has tried it. (I guess) I want a primer, paint, and clear thats going to bond well to plastic and look good. I also need to know if there are any tools that I could use to speed this project up? Thanks so much

Quick Reply: Need help with a "make over" on FRCs!