Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HIDs: Buy projectors or retro-fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HIDs: Buy projectors or retro-fit

I have the older style Halo's and the weatherstripping is shot on them and I am needing to get a new set of headlights, however, I just bought 6000k HIDs for my high and low beams. That is actually how I discovered that the weatehrstripping disintegrated if you touched it.

Anyways, I have only seen the halo pre-made projector headlights for sale and have not seen anything else. If I recall correctly, the Halo projector headlights do NOT contain the projector housings that are designed specifically for the HID lights. I have seen the HID projector headlights with HID kits on Ebay, am I correct in believing that the projector housing is still not the best to utilize the HID light output? I have seen many retrofits done before and this is where I run into my problems. I need to buy a set of headlights as it is and it would be a deep hit to my wallet if I bought a new set of headlights AND 2 (let alone 4!) of the Acura TSX projectors.

Would it be worth it to save up the cash for the new headlights and the Acura TSX projectors to perform the retro-fit or will the difference be minimal and not worth my time making the Halo Projector headlights on eBay a better bet?>
Old 01-25-2009, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wasnt worth it to me,i got halfway through this same project and decided against it. if you scroll down this page https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...as-pics-4.html you'll see the newer projectors and its cut-off is way better than the other ebay projectors (like mine)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

TSX projectors are low beam only. Therefore, you only need two. You can keep the stock reflectors and halogen for the high beam. That cuts your cost in half. You can't flash HID quickly for "flash-to-pass". If you really want to use a second pair of TSX for high beam, you'd have to modify the cut-off shield to produce a high beam or remove it. I don't remember how easy/difficult that is with the TSX, but I think the shield is a hefty piece, not as easily modified as some other projectors, but it is removable.

The alternative is to use bi-xenon projectors (ex: FX). The high beam is handled by a solenoid that moves the cut-off shield to allow more light through the lens in a higher pattern. If you wanted, you can wire it up so that the high beam of the bi-xenon projector and the stock halogen high beam both still work and come on together. Also, FX projectors are close in price and size to TSX projectors. The TSX has a better low beam output though, but its not a significant difference.

Check out HID Planet's forums for more info on projectors and retrofits. There are plenty of options for projectors and how to finish up the inside of the housing for a stock look.

For example: TL is a great bi-xenon projector but it is larger and might not fit. You'd have to get the measurements of the projector and take some measurements of the headlight housings and the space behind them on the car.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

definitely do retrofit the ebay projectors cutoff is terrible compared to a TSX, TL, FX etc. retrofit. those headlights alone are going to cost over $200 where u can get some projectors for that cost and mod your stock ones. and also im noticing the width of the aftermarket projector headlights is not impressive at all.

Last edited by italicizedsponge; 01-25-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

retrofit.

search the lighting faq and hid planet.

I'm so excited to do mine, but that won't come till late spring/summer.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by integraxtc
retrofit.

search the lighting faq and hid planet.

I'm so excited to do mine, but that won't come till late spring/summer.
same here. i want to do TSX projectors in mine but funds is stopping me right now. maybe when my tax return comes in.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

So is the consensus then performing a retrofit on a stock headllight housing? I have non-projector halos but the weather stripping is shot and it wouldnt hurt to get a net pair of headlight housings, so, should Igo with stockers or is there another pair that may make the retrofit easier?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The halo ring in the original non-projector halos bisects the low beam. In other words, the halo ring would be in the way unless you have room to move the projector to the side so its not blocked by the ring. Alternatively, you could try removing the halo ring.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIP1
The halo ring in the original non-projector halos bisects the low beam. In other words, the halo ring would be in the way unless you have room to move the projector to the side so its not blocked by the ring. Alternatively, you could try removing the halo ring.
ya what he said. when i do mine i am going to remove the plastic piece thats inside of the halo headlights and it'll look like a stock one. then doing the retrofit
Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a some 02-04 Acura TL Bulbs and ballasts for sale. They would be great for a retrofit. They are on listed on craigslist, so they may sale locally, but here is the link: http://pensacola.craigslist.org/pts/1007923235.html. I just took pictures of them and am going to list them on HID Planet too: http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n.../HID%20Planet/.

Last edited by badazzta00; 01-26-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: price

Quick Reply: HIDs: Buy projectors or retro-fit