Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 04-29-2016, 05:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could have used this trick a few times. Very cool.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99wssixm6
Ok so I know where to buy the vinyl question has been asked a dozen times. But has anyone bought grey vinyl and where?

Looking to do this right away.

And as far as the vent goes I'm doing this... Painting it a darker shade and not putting the pad in
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...n-fbodies.html

With this...
http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFron...879&i=18133032

Anyone on the color or part number for vinyl? That would help out a ton.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Micro Suede

Okay, I'm going to revive this thread after over a year. A few notes before I begin:
  1. If you attempt this, be aware that you will obliterate what is left of your dash pad. It is cracked because it is dried out and brittle. The spring clips holding it in are tenacious. No matter how bad it looks now, it will get a LOT WORSE before it gets better. I don't recommend the process unless you are capable at repairing plastics and surfaces. For the shadetree mechanic, they would probably be better served by buying one of these replacement dash covers and wrapping that before you install it over the top of your cracked dash.
  2. If you attempt to replicate my use of black micro suede, use many very light coats of glue. I used 3M's 80 headliner adhesive. Instructions say to spray 6-10" away, but 24" is more like it for the suede. The reason is that if it saturates, it will soak through and leave spots on the top side.
  3. Lastly, I have a lot of pics and this site only allows 10 per post, so I'll be putting up 7 posts. Maybe one more for the windshield.

Okay, and on to the pics. You'll notice mine only had a couple of cracks and was in one piece in the car. With much care, I managed to get it out in 4 pieces. Before I was done, it would break into 6 pieces.
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-004.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-006.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-013.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-014.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-026.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-028.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-029.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-031.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-034.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-036.jpg  

Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

The dashboard now glued back into one piece. I've covered the seams from the top with more methyl methacrylate epoxy to smooth out any steps and to add strength. Also cutting out the defroster grill.
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-038.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-041.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-045.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-046.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-049.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-051.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-053.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-056.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-057.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-058.jpg  

Old 10-15-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Here I am building a new grill for the defroster vent. I cut the factory vent out with a Foredom jewelers tool (a professional kind of Dremmel), then ground down the edges with it before hand sanding.

For the mesh, I cut down the edges with a pair of tin-snips to contour it to the opening. This takes some patience and time to get right. I wore mechanic gloves, as the mesh is quite sharp to handle.
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-059.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-063.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-065.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-069.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-070.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-073.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-076.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-078.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-080.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-082.jpg  

Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Here I am test fitting the dash. There is some reflective paint on the dashboard crossmember, so I've repainted the area flat black.

The factory alarm LED is rather bulky, so I used a small headphone extension to make a quick-disconnect to replace the harness. Less than $1 on clearance at Radio Shack! The LED is a 1.8V red, but you can pick any color at this voltage. Don't ask how I destroyed the factory LED (it's not soldered, it's pinch welded into the harness).
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-083.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-086.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-088.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-090.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-095.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-096.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-097.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-100.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-102.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-103.jpg  

Old 10-15-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

1. Grill with small LED panel mount on right.
  2. Metal Etching Primer
  3. Sanded smooth
  4. Ready for wrap
  5. Micro Suede!
  6. Micro Suede!
  7. Micro Suede!
  8. Micro Suede!
  9. Micro Suede!
  10. Flat black grill
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-104.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-111.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-112.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-115.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-117.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-119.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-121.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-123.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-124.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-126.jpg  

Old 10-15-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Seems I had enough micro suede left to do one pillar. 1.5 yards should be enough to do the dash and pillars.
  1. Flat black grill
  2. Mounting the defroster grill
  3. Mounting the defroster grill, LED on left
  4. Sanding down the A-pillar trim (bottom one sanded)
  5. Grill mounted
  6. Grill mounted
  7. Insulation glued back on
  8. A-Pillars wrapped
  9. A-Pillars wrapped
  10. Repainted side window defroster vents gloss black
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-127.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-128.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-129.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-135.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-140.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-141.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-146.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-147.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-150.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-153.jpg  

Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Before reinstalling, I marked all Velcro pads and spring clips with tape to know where to press down. And here is the finished result.
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-154.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-161m.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-163.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-165.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-167m.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-170.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-171.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-173.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-dashboard-176.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

While I was working, I decided this would be the perfect time to replace my cracked windshield as well. The dash topper has to come out anyway, so might as well. I honestly don't know if the dash would break again if I attempted to remove it now, so I'm glad I had a shop take care of it.
Attached Thumbnails how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-windshield-02.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-windshield-03.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-windshield-04.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-windshield-07.jpg   how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-windshield-08.jpg  

how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new-windshield-09.jpg  
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that's nice I like this idea I did mine last spring
Old 11-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eb110americana
Before reinstalling, I marked all Velcro pads and spring clips with tape to know where to press down. And here is the finished result.
I really like the way you did your center vent and the whole pad turned out really nice. Where did you get the mesh material? Also I'm wondering how sturdy the mesh is, if it would dent in easy

Last edited by Mark01ta; 11-06-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Mark! I like the way it came out as well. I live in LA, so I went to a place called Industrial Metal Supply to look at various types of mesh. It's no hobby shop or crafts store, it is a serious commercial metal warehouse. Yes, if you leaned on the mesh, it would dent inwards, no question. It is stronger than it looks though. It took me almost a whole day to bend the thing into shape, it is so stiff--well, that and the fact that the cut edges are sharp enough to warrant wearing mechanic's gloves. Fortunately, the mesh is far enough forward that I would seldom come in contact with it except when cleaning the windshield or dashboard. Worst case, if it does get pushed down, I can still pop the topper up again and push it up from underneath, but I doubt that will be necessary.

Quick Reply: how to fix or wrap your dash pad to look brand new