Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID Fog light Run Around...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Fog light Run Around...

Hey guys, sorry to post up yet ANOTHER hid fog post, but im trying to weed through all the different posts and i have yet to find one that really tells the best ones that will not harm your stock fog light housings.

My goal is to get the hid fog lights and headlights.....the problem is ive seen a few of the tech people saying they will melt your housing etc.

So on to the question....what is the brightest set up i can go without harming the housings, brand name, etc. and how long do these products last without needing to be replaced...i.e. burning out, ballast going out, etc.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't put them in Halogen housings without the entire projector assembly. Headlights especially. The problem is in the housing design is not made to work with the lumen output of HIDs. their made for horrible halogen lumens. Swing into hidplanet (won't link it since their not a sponsor) start poking around the threads and reading up on how to properly do a HID system. OEM or Aftermarket is fine as long as it uses projectors.

Additionaly... HID in Halogen housings is ILLEGAL. its not DOT approved and if you get a ticket you have to undo the whole setup and return it to factory. if DOT gets informed (probably exceptionally rare) its a $6000 fine per illegal bulb.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats 24,000 thousand in fines for me.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! You could buy a new Honda civic for that!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive been trying to find the right ones forever too man
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I converted my LS1 trans am to HIDs, I had to add a relay in the harness in order for the foglights to work right.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova5
Don't put them in Halogen housings without the entire projector assembly. Headlights especially. The problem is in the housing design is not made to work with the lumen output of HIDs. their made for horrible halogen lumens. Swing into hidplanet (won't link it since their not a sponsor) start poking around the threads and reading up on how to properly do a HID system. OEM or Aftermarket is fine as long as it uses projectors.

Additionaly... HID in Halogen housings is ILLEGAL. its not DOT approved and if you get a ticket you have to undo the whole setup and return it to factory. if DOT gets informed (probably exceptionally rare) its a $6000 fine per illegal bulb.
??????????????????????????????????????????????? what are you talking about

the 03 escalades came stock with hid lights in a halogen housing. gs300's came with them aswell

my hid kit is even dot approved and has the emblem on the ballast.

there are several people on here running hids in their headlights without melting them, including me. even the aftermarket projectors that are sold on ebay have a sticker on them that says not hid approved or do not use hid because they will melt the housing. most of the talk about melting housings have been in the t/a foglight housings. im not sure what the camaro ones are made out of but i also know of several people with hid kit in the stock foglights without problems

hid kits last longer than a halogen bulb. a hid bulb with a good ballast should last upwards of 3-5 years. a set of two replacement bulbs for an hid kit is $39.99. this is very cheap considering that silverstar bulbs are $54.99 for two bulbs and last at best a year and a half with little night driving. i was having silverstar bulbs blow out every 10-12 months and got sick of replacing them, so i chose to purchase a hid kit for $89.99

what kind of kit do you want? most cheap hid kits are 35w, with the pricier ones being 55w. i have the 55w 10k blue bulbs, and they have been in the car since christmas, with several 7 hour trips on them with no signs of over heating or melting. you will want to search for 9006 hid kit if you want to run hids in your stock housing, otherwise you will want to buy a set of ebay halo headlights with projectors and you will have to purchase a h1 or h3 hid kit depending on the headlights you purchase

escalade, factory 12k hid in a halogen housing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories

my 10k hid setup

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-18-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
the 03 escalades came stock with hid lights in a halogen housing. gs300's came with them aswell
Some cars did come with HID's in reflector housings, yes. But those that did, had a reflector housing that was designed to properly handle and aim HID lighting. It is a rather unconventional way of doing it, which is why as you can see here, the later models were equipped with projectors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...1%7C240%3A1318

Just an FYI
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Some cars did come with HID's in reflector housings, yes. But those that did, had a reflector housing that was designed to properly handle and aim HID lighting. Just an FYI.
yes im aware of that, i was just responding to nova 5 saying any hid in a halogen housing is illegal
Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

yes im aware of that, i was just responding to nova 5 saying any hid in a halogen housing is illegal
I love you headlights, but is it an optical illusion or are your fogs not as blue in color?.....if they are the same shade what kind am i looking for because yours is what im going for. If they arent the same shade then what do i get as far as wattage, etc to match them?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

p.s. not bashing anyone who has projectors......but i love my whistler modded headlights and think projectors look cheap and ugly. That is just me tho.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that is a little inaccurate. Technically speaking, any car with HID's not preinstalled by the factory is illegal.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Yeah that is a little inaccurate. Technically speaking, any car with HID's not preinstalled by the factory is illegal.
m sure that depends upon the state you are in......i am sure some states arent as strict. Hell....im from texas and i can get away with damn near anything there. here in nc i cant even rip a wet fart without getting a ticket....i cant even imagine what cali is like
Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

hahaha texas is pretty lenient, but again most new cars come with h.i.d. lighting stock so the police cant afford to be as picky anymore

yes one bulb was defective, i bought my kit from a local vendor and he swapped the bulb out for me next day no questions asked.

you should probably look for a 5k hid kit or a 6k hid kit. the 6k has a bluish tint to it, the 5k is pretty much just hyper white. like you said if they look out for modified cars you want to give the appearance of a stock bright bulb. otherwise you could just tell them its an escalade headlight kit and its technically legal, or just play dumb. i mounted my ballasts in a way that would be very visable to see the DOT approved sticker if i was ever to get pulled over and asked about them
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Im aiming more for the 6k then....is that what you have? Will that look the same as the hd headlights you have and what k are those?

I dont mean to ask the same question over again, but i know the look i want, i just dont know enough about hid's to get it. lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's 8000K in the headlights and fogs. I got a 894 HID kit from ebay

Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Wrong. That is HID Reflector, not HID in a Halogen Reflector. Those HID Reflector Housings were designed for HID. They are still not as good as a HID Projector though.

HID kits for Halogen Housings are not DOT approved. None. The DOT sticker is either a lie, or the ballast design is approved, but not its current use in a kit.

there are several people on here running hids in their headlights without melting them, including me. even the aftermarket projectors that are sold on ebay have a sticker on them that says not hid approved or do not use hid because they will melt the housing. most of the talk about melting housings have been in the t/a foglight housings. im not sure what the camaro ones are made out of but i also know of several people with hid kit in the stock foglights without problems
It depends on the housing and whether or not you are using the standard 35watt or a higher 55watt kit, which has been known to damage the chrome on smaller projectors/housings.

i have the 55w 10k blue bulbs, and they have been in the car since christmas, with several 7 hour trips on them with no signs of over heating or melting. you will want to search for 9006 hid kit if you want to run hids in your stock housing, otherwise you will want to buy a set of ebay halo headlights with projectors and you will have to purchase a h1 or h3 hid kit depending on the headlights you purchase

escalade, factory 12k hid in a halogen housing
http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/32/63/355a_1.JPG

my 10k hid setup
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/473/11588/269325.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/473/13933/275368.jpg
No OEM vehicle lighting is 12k.

The K number is the color temp. It is not the brightness (well not directly, I'll explain). 4000K - 5000K is the brightest. Continuing up the color scale, the light gets bluer then purpler and the lumen output (the actual measurement of light) decreases. In other words, a 10000K HID kit is dimmer than a 4300K HID kit. Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light. Blue light also scatters more easily. In the end, we can see better with a 4300K HID for many reasons.

I see alot of glare and poor light dispersal in those photos.

i was just responding to nova 5 saying any hid in a halogen housing is illegal
Nova5 is correct. HID in a Halogen housing is illegal. This has been discuss many many time. Search.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-19-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Wrong

I see alot of glare and poor light dispersal in those photos.

Nova5 is correct. HID in a Halogen housing is illegal. This has been discuss many many time. Search.

i have seen no reason to "upgrade" from all of the lighting posts. yes the picture at night does look like it causes alot of glare, but the picture is also directly pointed into the light. i can assure you that from the pictures you have posted of your setup, and others, i can probably see just as much at night. btw ive never been flashed at. im glad other hidplanet forums are dedicated to projectors, but i just dont see the point. i have driven infront of my car at night and towards it, and the scatter is not blinding unless you are 10-15 feet away starting directly into the center of the headlight. and to be honest im not sure who in their right mind stares directly into a vehicles headlights as they come towards them

also im looking at texas state law and it says nothing about hid's being illegal.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc...q_item.htm#aim

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html
Finally, in a subsequent e-mail, you asked whether our regulations require HID lighting systems to include "auto-leveling" and washing systems, similar to those incorporated in vehicles sold in Europe. The answer is no. FMVSS No. 108 does specify aimability performance requirements under paragraph S7.8 of the standard, but that paragraph does not require an "auto-leveling" capability. The standard also does not contain any requirement for a headlamp washing system.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html
Based on a review of the H1 light source specification filed in the Part 564 docket (#3397), it is apparent that the Thunder Beam HID Conversion kit is a significant redesign of the H1 light source. At the most basic level, an H1 light source incorporates an incandescent filament in which light is produced by a metallic wire coil heated to incandescence by an electrical current, whereas the HID conversion kit’s light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce the light and requires a ballast for operation. Thus, in order to comply with paragraph S7.7 of FMVSS No. 108, the Thunder Beam light source must comply with, inter alia, the dimensional specifications for the metallic wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast would need to be a design currently on file for use with an H1 light source. Complying with the dimensional aspects of the H1 light source appears to be an impossibility considering that the wire coil filament and the electrical connector are not a part of your design. Furthermore, there are no ballast designs on file for use with an H1 light source. Thus, your company’s HID conversion kit is not a design that conforms to the Standard and could not be certified as complying with FMVSS No. 108, nor imported into or sold in the United States.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html

HID conversion kits are illegal if any item in the kit does not comply with Federal requirements for vehicle lighting equipment. Please read the letter carefully and apply our analysis to the components of the kits you are selling. If one or more of these components does not comply with FMVSS No. 108, then you should cease the sale and distribution of this equipment. Your failure to do so could make your company liable for civil penalties for violations of 49 U.S.C. 30112(a). If your company manufactured or imported noncompliant HID conversion kits for resale, your company is required to notify this agency, dealers, purchasers, and owners of the kits and to remedy the noncompliance in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30118-30120 and 49 CFR Parts 573 and 577. I should advise you that we know of no HID conversion kit that can be certified by its manufacturer as complying with FMVSS No. 108.
so you are right, im sorry i had a rebuttle because i was unaware
that being said...........
your lights are just as illegal to sell or distribute since they do not conform to the design of the 9006 bulb. hid lights do NOT requite auto leveling or projectors to be legal, they are still a non compliant form of vehicle modification if you were to sell the design

I believe that, in the US, NHTSA prohibits "HID conversion kits" Understand there is a $10,000 fine per kit sold. There is no way to control the light output or direction when you drop a HID into a halogen headlight. My own car has factory HID's and it has an auto levelling system and headlight washing system. It does NOT blind oncoming vehicles.

NHTSA 43-04
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits “can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others,” NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

“These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road,” said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. “And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law.”

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

Update: May 3, 2007:
NHTSA Cracks Down on Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc�) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc�) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.
this simply states they are illegal to produce and distribute. it says nothing at all referring to persons caught in use. it simply states statutes for new bulb design

thus this still comes down to state law since the federal statutes pertain only to the design and sale and distribution. blue headlights are illegal, in texas, but it says nothing about illegal bulbs. please show me another statute that specifically says that a motorist caught in use of hid type bulbs is going to face any fines

again the below describes projectors and stock housings. as i have stated the stock camaro housing does not cause excessive destructive scatter. the one below would destroy my eyes completely with the aim and scatter

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...t-fines-5.html
Originally Posted by HibachiZ28

Last edited by chrysler kid; 02-19-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You honestly see a difference between the pictures of your car's lights and the pictures of the car labeled as glare? ..... because they look the same to me.

The proof you posted to support your argument actually back me up instead.

Especially this pic:

HID kits often don't keep the same focal point, which sends light in the wrong place. Also HID kits put out a lot more light than Halogen, so Halogen Reflector housings which were intended to spread a certain amount of light in a certain pattern end up sending more light in places that it is not needed nor desired.

Check this out for a better explanation:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
There also are links there to DOT documents and the 2004 crackdown.... yes, in 2004 the DOT went on a crusade to try and shut down aftermarket HID Kit manufacturers and suppliers. I think they either gave up or changed the law so they didn't technically have to bother pursuing them anymore (it was a lot of work).... that is why laws are often vague and left up to the Police and Judges to determine the actual meaning. There are other laws that cover light output and beam spread which are violated by putting HID into Halogen Reflector Housing.

Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSS...eature=related
That's technically in England which is stricter on this than US so you can ignore the beam analyzer during inspection because the US doesn't do that. Regardless, the what is shown about glare (which he calls dazzling) is still there and still a hazard. Compare the output of the two vehicles. You'll see how on is HID Reflector and the other has a HID Kit in a Halogen Reflector. You can see the extra scattered light.

There are also differnt levels of bad.
HID kit in a Halogen Low Beam Reflector = Bad due to increased glare and often blotchy beam pattern.
HID kit in a Halogen High/Low Dual Beam Reflector = Really Bad due too the resulting pattern being a High Beam.

Last edited by VIP1; 02-19-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

??????????????????????????????????????????????? what are you talking about

Factory installed HID in a reflector housing is NOT a HALOGEN housing. It may look the same but the design is made to handle HIDs. Halogens are not.
So is my entire HID projector system however its still illegal to use them in a car they wern't factory installed but I'm unlikley to get busted because what cop is going to know every single vehicle and headlight combination created? Its a bet we're taking to have better lighting. Hid into a Halogen housing = horrid glare and the cop just might want to tag you for blinding him.

hid kits last longer than a halogen bulb. a hid bulb with a good ballast should last upwards of 3-5 years. a set of two replacement bulbs for an hid kit is $39.99. this is very cheap considering that silverstar bulbs are $54.99 for two bulbs and last at best a year and a half with little night driving. i was having silverstar bulbs blow out every 10-12 months and got sick of replacing them, so i chose to purchase a hid kit for $89.99
D2s HID bulbs run 137 bucks pair
what kind of kit do you want? most cheap hid kits are 35w, with the pricier ones being 55w. i have the 55w 10k blue bulbs, and they have been in the car since christmas, with several 7 hour trips on them with no signs of over heating or melting. you will want to search for 9006 hid kit if you want to run hids in your stock housing, otherwise you will want to buy a set of ebay halo headlights with projectors and you will have to purchase a h1 or h3 hid kit depending on the headlights you purchase
Cheap 35watts are easily trounced by OEM 35watts. 55watt units are relatively new (about 3 years i think)

10K is not great. Your going to high into the area humans can't see well. get down to 6000-8000 for good lighting. Humans see best between 3000-8000 kelvin. I think dot used to require 4300k lights halogen.

Last edited by Nova5; 02-19-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: HID Fog light Run Around...