Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need help...want to paint TB and Alt housing.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help...want to paint TB and Alt housing.......

I'm a DYI guy, and I tried a search for this info, but didn't locate anything. I want to paint my alum. throttle body and alternator case. I've done other small rattle can projects successfully, but I've never painted aluminum parts.

Need to know how to prep, then paint. Any special techniques? Hi temp eng. paint or reg. Duplicolor? I want to use the new Duplicolor engine paint that I already have, but need help getting started. Can I clear coat these parts after the color is laid? Anything you can tell me will be appreciated.

Thanks............
Old 02-27-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dupli-color has a new color out that i tryed and F%CKING LOVE !!!
its called Crome aluminum. Its bad ***. Almost like a pure aluminum color if ever such a thing,You get what im saying LOL and ide clear it with this stuff called ((Spray max 2k)). I used this when i did my CME valance ,taillights and my custom vac manifold which is in the pics here,and everthing else that ive done. Its a bit pricy at like $20 a can, but flows as nice as it does dry! No need to sand and buff after useing this two part clear. My local paint supply shop use to carry it ,so i had to do a search for it and bought a can last week for a company on the net (Forget the name)for my tail light project and my vac manifold i made. For preping, just clean really good and scuff with a new scotch pad really, really good and wipe down with rubbing alcohol useing a micro fiber cloth or something lent free. Spray the paint, let dry overnight to be safe. Wipe again in the morning with micro cloth before clearing and your done. This clear recomends spray 3 or 4 even coats at 2 to 3 minute intervoles.SPELLING SUCKS I KNOW LOL so the clear flows into the previous coat nively This **** smells just like the body shop clear !This isnt that bullshit from auto zone LOL This stuff is made for cutting in door and trunk jams on cars and stuff, its uv resistant ,excellent flow and leveling with spray gun like results LOL I read it right off the can for you
Good luck BARNAT
Heres pics of my custom vac manifold that i made and painted with that color and clear that i ve told you aboutin here ! http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...erhood%20pics/

Last edited by barnat; 02-27-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just clean the parts really good with grease remover. prime, paint and clear. i painted my aluminum TB with duplicolor 3 yrs ago and still looks good
Old 02-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys........this is all great info. I'll post the results when I'm finished with this project.

Quick Reply: Need help...want to paint TB and Alt housing.......