Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I Had A Busy Day Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking I Had A Busy Day Today

Finally we are getting some decent weather here in the Chi... So i took advantage and decided to work on the Trans Am as it has been stored since 11/2/2008...

Sorry no pics at this time, as i did not have my camera

Put my red top in the car and fired right up I let it idle for about 30 mins to re-learn and i took for a 1 mile drive. Yeah i know i should have driven it more but i wanted to work on the car..

The first thing i dad was i got rid of my OEM HVAC *****, swapped them out for Grand Am *****. It is almost the same as the OEM ones, these jsut have more to grab that is all

BEFORE

AFTER

The next thing i did was installed my black bird stripes. That was a little tricky to do. It is hard to follow the line on the hood to get them perfectly straight. But it all worked out.

Then finally i removed my coil packs (bracket too) and took off my valve covers. I am going to be painting them. I was surprised, it took me less than 30 mins to do both sides . Next weekend i am going to be pulling my intake to paint that too

That is all for now, i still have a lot more to do.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good Jonas. Keep us posted.

Also, we put our cars away on the same day. Too bad I still have to wait another 1.5 months
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how yall do it. I put my car away for 5 days and i miss it to much.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats sweet looking. You have the same idea as I do with the intake, when I do my fast 90/90 its gonna be painted the same color as my car and the lettering will be done in black
Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Looks good Jonas. Keep us posted.

Also, we put our cars away on the same day. Too bad I still have to wait another 1.5 months
Thanks Adam. Tomorrow i plan on sanding everything getting them all preped for paint. Can not wait..

That sux you need to wait another 1.5 months... I am sure that this weather is a fluke and that my car will not be ready to go until mid April as always. Mother nature has to get another round of snow in

Hey Adam, when you pulled your valve covers off did you re-use the o-ring gasket? If so did you put a bead of silicone down? If so what type Stuid questions i know
Old 03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iceman can
I don't know how yall do it. I put my car away for 5 days and i miss it to much.
It's hard man, but i look at it as i am saving money from ins and gas, saving miles and wear and tear on my car. Plus not being weathered the paint looks good and no salt will destroy my car.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02BLKWS6MD
thats sweet looking. You have the same idea as I do with the intake, when I do my fast 90/90 its gonna be painted the same color as my car and the lettering will be done in black
See i am staying away from black as the LS1/LS6 intakes are already black. So i want to be different. I jsut hope that cast iron intake and cast iron valve covers will look good with my balck coil brackets and red coil packs...
Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
See i am staying away from black as the LS1/LS6 intakes are already black. So i want to be different. I jsut hope that cast iron intake and cast iron valve covers will look good with my balck coil brackets and red coil packs...
Im bright orange so the little bit of black would look sweet on a fast intake.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey Adam, when you pulled your valve covers off did you re-use the o-ring gasket? If so did you put a bead of silicone down? If so what type Stuid questions i know

I haven't pulled the covers off yet. I'll be putting on a new set, since I need to swap to the center bolts. But, I will be getting new gaskets for the covers. I think you will be fine with the gaskets you have now, but please double check - I'm by no means an expert.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I haven't pulled the covers off yet. I'll be putting on a new set, since I need to swap to the center bolts. But, I will be getting new gaskets for the covers. I think you will be fine with the gaskets you have now, but please double check - I'm by no means an expert.
You will love the center bolts

By swapping over to the center bolts, your head has the holes to bolt them down correct?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

You will love the center bolts

By swapping over to the center bolts, your head has the holes to bolt them down correct?
Yup, you're right.

I had to buy a set of the center bolts, since the new heads require them. Either I bought the center bolt valve covers, or I was stuck with the old heads (because I'm almost certain only GM stock casting heads from 97/98 support the perimeter bolts).
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't need to put anything like gaskets down for our valve covers and stuff, since they have rubber O-rings. What I did was I took a little motor oil on my finger and ran it around the rubber of the valve covers. Then just make sure you make them nice and tight. Same for the intake.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
We don't need to put anything like gaskets down for our valve covers and stuff, since they have rubber O-rings. What I did was I took a little motor oil on my finger and ran it around the rubber of the valve covers. Then just make sure you make them nice and tight. Same for the intake.
Yep I've taken the covers off a couple of times, and this works just fine.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

No such thing as a stupid question!

Valve cover gaskets are $9....just toss a new set on for peace of mind.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Huggerorange73
No such thing as a stupid question!

Valve cover gaskets are $9....just toss a new set on for peace of mind.
I prolly will do that. I have NEVER been a fan of reusing gaskets. I feel that once they are crushed they are done, replace them
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

On those Grand Am *****, take a key and scratch off the white from the area where the light shines through, makes them alot brighter red and looks alot better at night.