Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Valve Covers and Coil Packs Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up My Valve Covers and Coil Packs Project

So i pulled my valve covers and coil packs off yesterday and today i started the fun process.

I began by taking the coil packs off the brackets and seperating them. Then i took my coil brackets valve covers and washed them in the sick with dish soap and Simple Green. After washing them i dried them and too them out side where i proceeded to sand them. I used 220 grit to scuff both the coil brackets and valve covers up. I then used 1000 grit to sand it all smooth. It took me 15 min on each valve cover for both 220 grit sanding and 1000 grit smoothing. The brackets took like 5 mins.

Next came the coil packs. Those are pretty damn smooth to begin with, so i sanded them all with 1000 grit.

Next i took brake cleaner and sprayed the valve covers and coil brackets and wiped them down, then i took a rag and wiped all the coil packs down. Aftet that i proceeded to wash the valve covers and coil brackets again. Toweled dried them and it was ready for primer.

For the both the valve covers and coil brackets i used Dupli-Color Filler Primer. I did 3 light coats (drying 10 mins between each coat) then i did 2 medium-heavy coats (again drying 10 mins between each coat). That was all i did today with the valve covers and coil brackets. I will finish those up tomorrow. So right now they are sitting with primer ready for paint tomorrow. Going to paint them cast iron (it looks dark shadow grey or a gun metal color).

As for the coil packs, i sprayed each one with 2 light coats of Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter (letting them dry 3 mins between easch coat) then the last coat was a medium coat. Then after letting them all dry i took 1 coil pack and started to paint it. I used Dupli-Color Caliper RED paint. I took the coil pack applied a very light coat of red paint to it where i saw it was blotchy in some spots So i let it dry for 15 mins, in the mean time i took another coil pack and proceded to spray it with filler primer. After both of them dried, the one i paint, i added another coar pf red paitn to it, agin blotchy. Now the one i jsut primed, i added a coat of red to it and the paint stuck perfect

So as of right now, i have 1 totally painted coil pack, 1 that is primed ready for paint and the other 6 are sprayed with adhesion promoter, ready for primer and paint. That will have to be tomorrow. It was a long day today..

So here are some pics
The valve covers and coil brackets are filled in nicely and ready for paint

Here is 1 coil pack that is done being primed and ready for paint tomorrow

And here is 1 finished coil pack in red. Going to clear it tomorrow
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good. It's hard work, but worth it in the end.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about doing something like this to mine...I simply sandblasted and cleared my valve covers...because I like that aluminum look
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

im thinking bout doin the same thing, but what do you torque the valve covers back down to after your bolt them back up???? and do you have to change the gasket????
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sammyboy
I've been thinking about doing something like this to mine...I simply sandblasted and cleared my valve covers...because I like that aluminum look
I wish i has access to a sand blaster, would have save me a lot of time
Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
im thinking bout doin the same thing, but what do you torque the valve covers back down to after your bolt them back up???? and do you have to change the gasket????
I have no idea what you torque the valve cover bolts back down to, i will need to find that out. And you can re-use the valve cover gasket b/c it is an o-ring type, but me personally, i like to replace gaskets when ever i can
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well worth the effort

Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

looks good
Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Off and running.....I'm not sure if you layed color out on those coil brackets yet...but if not, you may want to drill them out and get yourself some fancy allen head bolts for the coil packs.

If a certain somebody gets me the rest of my parts back I can better show ya what I mean!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jsteele90
well worth the effort

Yours looks good, but i think painting the valve covers red is a little overkill. You can not really see where the coil packs start and stop. If that makes sense?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Huggerorange73
Off and running.....I'm not sure if you layed color out on those coil brackets yet...but if not, you may want to drill them out and get yourself some fancy allen head bolts for the coil packs.

If a certain somebody gets me the rest of my parts back I can better show ya what I mean!
I like my bolts, i am going to clean them up and paint them silver aluminum
Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like a pain in the *** but it does look great
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Yours looks good, but i think painting the valve covers red is a little overkill. You can not really see where the coil packs start and stop. If that makes sense?
yeah ive been wanting to try something different lately. maybe painting the coils gloss black and the coil harness a gunmetal or aluminum color.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That will def be worth it! Some day i will actually get around to doin mine
Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good, keep in mind that you can sand the primer for a smoother finish before color, and check when it says to clear. I believe within an hour of color coat for chemical bond or wait until color coat cures (usually couple days) then sand for mechanical bond and then clear. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Looks like a pain in the *** but it does look great
It was a bit of a PITA, but so far it has been worth it. I will have the final pics up tomorrow
Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DriftR
Looks good, keep in mind that you can sand the primer for a smoother finish before color, and check when it says to clear. I believe within an hour of color coat for chemical bond or wait until color coat cures (usually couple days) then sand for mechanical bond and then clear. Keep up the good work!
Do not need to sand the primer coat. It is perfectly smooth. I spent the extra time on the valve cover and coil brackets to make sure that it comes out smooth.

Well the ontly one that is painted so far is the one coil pack. Other wise none of them are painted yet. Everything is primed except for 6 coil packs. Tomorrow i will give everything color and clear
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I should have final pics today of everything
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

looks great so far. i like all the prep you've done
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is going to look awesome. Keep us posted!

Quick Reply: My Valve Covers and Coil Packs Project