Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

buffer/polisher

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default buffer/polisher

Ok im looking at getting a buffer what is a good kind to get and what about the pads im a noob when it comes to this stuff so the more detail and opinions you got the better. Also what stuff do you use to buff it and polish it.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I have seen nothing but great results on here with the PC 7424 using SIP. I'm interested in only removing some swirl marks and light scratches in mine and then finish it off with the Zaino line I have. I'm sure many more will chime in and say nothing but good things about the Porter Cable.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Call Steve @ Tropicare (www.tropi-care.com), he was very helpful and I placed my order for a 7424 kit and their "dark" wax this afternoon.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

For a beginner, the two best choices are the Porter Cable 7424 or the Flex 3401. My preference in pads is Lake Country 6.5".

With common sense and little practice, either should be a safe way to polish your vehicle. There's lots of reading on places like www.autopia.org to help out.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZaneO
For a beginner, the two best choices are the Porter Cable 7424 or the Flex 3401. My preference in pads is Lake Country 6.5".

With common sense and little practice, either should be a safe way to polish your vehicle. There's lots of reading on places like www.autopia.org to help out.

+1. I went the Flex route. It is more expensive but has more power and will correct imperfections much faster. I am pairing the buffer with Menzerna SIP and 106FA.

Autopia will definately get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

What type of polishing creams and stuff are good to use?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Menzerna Super Intense gets the scratches out of your harder clearcoat faster than most other products. I still haven't found a lasting daily driven wax though. Maybe I should try Zaino...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fuseone
Originally Posted by my2kTA
I am pairing the buffer with Menzerna SIP and 106FA.
Well, that's a good combo right there.

SIP finishes up pretty nicely on its own with an orange Lake Country CCS pad though, so you might be able to skip the 106FA (finishing polish) and go right to a good sealant like Tropi-Care xP or Zaino All-In-One.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I still haven't found a lasting daily driven wax though. Maybe I should try Zaino...
You definitely should. A "lasting daily driven wax" doesn't exist; it's just the nature of the product. A true "wax" (i.e., carnauba) will only be able to give your paint a few weeks protection at best. The synthetic nature of sealants like Zaino or Tropi-Care xP mean that they'll usually provide several months of durability for a daily driver.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PSU 98
You definitely should. A "lasting daily driven wax" doesn't exist; it's just the nature of the product. A true "wax" (i.e., carnauba) will only be able to give your paint a few weeks protection at best. The synthetic nature of sealants like Zaino or Tropi-Care xP mean that they'll usually provide several months of durability for a daily driver.
I just recently started using Colinite Insulator wax on my DD. It is in-expensive ($14 @ harbor freight) and had gotten a lot of positive reviews on autopia.org as far as durability goes. A lot of people in the harsh winter areas were using it to protect their vehicles against all the salt and snow. My main draw for it is that I may only wash my truck once every 2 months or so and want to keep it protected in between washes.

I tossed the bottle to my brother who was cleaning up his motorcycle (black) and I must also admit that I was impressed with how well it shined up and filled in his minor swirls.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...x-sealant.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...lator-wax.html
Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm picky too though. When it rains outside I don't want water spots leftover from the rain and Poorboys red wax is the only thing that didn't leave the spots but it's a wax and doesn't last that long. I might try the Collinite.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fuseone
Some popular combos are Menzerna Super Intensive Polish and PO106FF, Meguiar's 105 and 205, 3M, Poorboy's, etc.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Menzerna Super Intense gets the scratches out of your harder clearcoat faster than most other products. I still haven't found a lasting daily driven wax though. Maybe I should try Zaino...
I'd tyr adams polish. Its really great! i use it on my garage queen SS. and i use it on my dd Z28 and throughout the week my car is shinny no matter what...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

One thing to keep in mind is that not every product with "wax" in its name, or what one person refers to as "wax", is actually natural wax; some are synthetic sealants or synthetic blends. And everything called "polish" is not really an abrasive polish either It's kinda like calling every soda a "Coke" I guess.
Zaino is a synthetic product and I can get several months of durability from a coat of All-In-One here in the snowy Northeast. But everybody has their own preferences and needs, so by all means try a few things and see what you like best.

Quick Reply: buffer/polisher