Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to clean engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how to clean engine bay

So I have a 99 Z28. With the car being 10 years old and having 130k miles on it there is some road grime in the engine bay. No matter what I do to it, it never seems to look very nice. What do you guys do to clean your engine bay to make it look nice? especially the inside of the hood? Mine is pretty nasty and it just will not come clean no matter what I do. thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Click HERE and make sure to look through the stickies before posting next time, they A LOT of good info
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pretty much tried everything in that sticky and it really doesn't look any better. It looks a little better but not much. I will have to post up some pictures.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done many things to clean mine, but have never gone all the way and made it "sparkle". I will be doing that in the next week or two though. I use a collection of nylon brushes in various sizes, as well as wire brushes. I use Mean Green (carefully, and in certain areas and NEVER leaving it on very long), plain ol' water in a spray bottle, brake cleaner, etc.

It takes a lot of elbow grease and takes a while to do, however, it brings great results and is perfectly safe if done correctly. To knock the dust off this week, I just sprayed it down with the hose with light pressure. This was a good start so that I can really attack the "heavy" stuff by hand.

Quick Reply: how to clean engine bay