Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how to remove seats for cage install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to remove seats for cage install?

i searched this for about a hour and i might have missed it, but i thought i should atleast ask just incase i still can't find it. i'm installing a 4 point cage this weekend in my camaro, what size bolts hold the seats in and the plastic Interior stuff in. i ask because my car isn't at my house it's about 30-40 minutes away and with work and school this is the first time i will have two days off in a row without school or work so i can atleast remove the interior so the cage can be welded in. is there a trick to removing everything or something i should watch out for on the inside. like should i just remove the seats and roll the carpet up to the console or should i remove the console?

i know, why am i wasting my time with a 4 point, it's because i dont know what the cars' going to run so i thought it would be a good cage to start with if i need to add on i can.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i came up with this for you..

you need a T30 Torx and a 13mm socket and ratchet. i had to go buy a T30 socket for my ratchet because i didnt have one. the T30's are for the 4 bolts on the back of the top of the back seat that hold the seat belt on there. everything else is 13mm. the 4 bolts holding each front seat in, 1 13mm bolt per rear lower seat (on the front of them) and 1 13mm bolts holding the upper back seat in place (getting a ratchet in this area was a bit tricky) i'd take out the front seats first, then the lower rear seats then the upper rear seat, although i took out my lower rear seats while waiting for instuctions on how to remove the electrical connection, i had already removed all the bolts for the front seats. the lower rear is cake. that one bolt and then you just pull them out
Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what he said ^ the seats are held down by four 13 mm nuts two in front two in the rear and there are electrical connections under each seat, then they just come right out.

the seatbelts i do not believe have to come out though for the cage install.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Thank You; Torchd 02 TA and DevilDougWS6, for the help.

how hard is it to pull the carpet up?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

once you have the seats, seatbelts, center console, and all the plastics out, the carpet just pulls right up with a little finesse.

so you really DO have to remove the entire interior to install the cage.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DevilDougWS6
once you have the seats, seatbelts, center console, and all the plastics out, the carpet just pulls right up with a little finesse.

so you really DO have to remove the entire interior to install the cage.
What he said ^
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

this is the first time i have taken the interior out of a car, could i leave the center console in and just role the carpet up and lay it over the console? the plastic pieces are screwed in right, the ones in the back hatch and on the back seat walls?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rob scott
this is the first time i have taken the interior out of a car, could i leave the center console in and just role the carpet up and lay it over the console? the plastic pieces are screwed in right, the ones in the back hatch and on the back seat walls?
nope center console has to come out. what plastic pieces are you talking about?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

the ones in the back hatch area, and the ones on each pasenger side rear seat area where the rear spearkers are. im sorry to keep bugging you guys but this should be the last one what holds the shift **** on a auto? and the bolts in the console are 10mm right?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

the ones in the back hatch area, and the ones on each pasenger side rear seat area where the rear spearkers are. im sorry to keep bugging you guys but this should be the last one what holds the shift **** on a auto? and the bolts in the console are 10mm right?
The back hatche area, all you need to do is turn the clips to the ''unlock'' position and they simply pull up. You just need to unhook the speaker and they are free to come out. Now i have never removed my sail panel plastic trim so that i am not sure about.

I have an M6 car so i have no idea how you take the shifter **** off for an auto sorry.

and yes the bolts are 10mm
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
i came up with this for you..

you need a T30 Torx and a 13mm socket and ratchet. i had to go buy a T30 socket for my ratchet because i didnt have one. the T30's are for the 4 bolts on the back of the top of the back seat that hold the seat belt on there. everything else is 13mm. the 4 bolts holding each front seat in, 1 13mm bolt per rear lower seat (on the front of them) and 1 13mm bolts holding the upper back seat in place (getting a ratchet in this area was a bit tricky) i'd take out the front seats first, then the lower rear seats then the upper rear seat, although i took out my lower rear seats while waiting for instuctions on how to remove the electrical connection, i had already removed all the bolts for the front seats. the lower rear is cake. that one bolt and then you just pull them out
LOL that looks familliar...I think thats a writeup i posted when i was redoing my upholstery. i see i goofed a bit on the rear seats, i meant one bolt per side for the upper part of the back seat.

to the OP. this is what you'll have left when you're done

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 03-20-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
LOL that looks familliar...I think thats a writeup i posted when i was redoing my upholstery. i see i goofed a bit on the rear seats, i meant one bolt per side for the upper part of the back seat.
yup that was from you
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

what holds the shift **** on a auto?
At the front of the **** there should be what looks like a staple. Take a flathead screwdriver and pull it straight out, that's all that holds the **** on.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by StrobinSS
At the front of the **** there should be what looks like a staple. Take a flathead screwdriver and pull it straight out, that's all that holds the **** on.

Joel did you see i repainted my valve covers? I started a new thread. They are no longer cast iron. They are now black
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

thank you all for all the help.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oops, someone already answered about the auto shift ****. haha